Need An Air Card

rmicheald

I need an air card for my laptop. What is everyone using and how fast is it? I have TOT at home and it is great. I have very little trouble with it. But, where I work, there is NO internet reception, so I want to get an air card.

I have about 3.5 Megabytes per second at home and don't want anything painfully slow if possible.

Thanks for the help...

I used an AIS aircard for 4 months. My God, I could walk faster. I just dumped it for BTS wired internet service, and the difference is beyond description. I could wait up to 5 minutes to connect to a web site with AIS, where now it is seconds. I expect that they all are slow and I cannot comment on the others, but my guess is that for more than very limited use you will be disappointed with an aircard -- I was.

Painfully slow; I am dependent on an Edge aircard (in Sa Kaeo)

This morning, and yesterday morning, there was no signal at all. Zero.

At times I get about dial-up speed but the overall service is poor, intermittent (for example I 'control c' copy anything such as this response before 'submit' on basis that at least 50% of time connection to this website will be lost.

Some sites are worse than others; Hotmail almost impossible, yet graphics-heavy ones such as Facebook and some news sites load ok.

For anything important, travel bookings etc, i ride 3km to a shop with a real connection.

Share in my pain!!

Your location will decide what is possible.

As you posted in the Pattaya section, I assume that s where you want to use it.

Only viable option here is Hutch EV-DO.

Speeds tend to be between 0,5 and 1,5 Mbps, so quite a fair bit faster then what both AIS and Dtac offer (Edge, at about beween 0,1 and 0,2 Mbps on a good day).

Uploads are slow and latency is higher then fixed lines, so VOIP is very hit and miss.

EV-DO is available in the greater Pattaya area (definitely in the Mabprachan area and up to Nong Pla Lai).

It tends to be slower in densely populated area's, apparently in Jomtien there are some less impressed users...

Speeds tend to be between 0,5 and 1,5 Mbps, so quite a fair bit faster then what both AIS and Dtac offer (Edge, at about beween 0,1 and 0,2 Mbps on a good day).

Uploads are slow and latency is higher then fixed lines, so VOIP is very hit and miss.

EV-DO is available in the greater Pattaya area (definitely in the Mabprachan area and up to Nong Pla Lai).

It tends to be slower in densely populated area's, apparently in Jomtien there are some less impressed users...

I paid all at once, 12,900 for 12 months. When I got Hutch back in Feb I was running 1.5mbps down, 0.08 up. It's just gotten worse and worse as time goes on. During the day it has it's bad moments and it's worst moments. I can't skype on it. Today...

1006445817.png

1006493252.png

1006496122.png

TrueMove now has 3G in Pattaya. It used to be unlimited, but now it's capped after the iphone 4 came out. Speeds are 1.5-2mbps down, 0.3 up. You can buy a 3G dongle at TukCom (850mhz frequency I think), then buy a sim card at 711. Then top it up.

Call them up if you have questions.

500 MB of transfer = 399 baht per month.

To sign up, text these two characters

v2

and send it to

1 GB of transfer = 699 baht per month.

To sign up, text these two characters

v3

and send it to

i am with you Monty

i live in mabrachan area and can't even get a phone line

hutch has been a lifesaver for me

this is me against singapore right now from TV speedtest

Test against: Singapore server Bangkok server Last Result:

Download Speed: 728 kbps (91 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 47 kbps (5.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 1059 ms

28 October 2010 09:44:07

• 2 weeks later...
It works for me from Jomtien to North Pattaya. Haven't tested any other areas, but the map shows the coverage.

Do you mean this map from their web page for coverage in Pattaya:

pattaya_3g.gif

Do you live on a boat? :lol:

It works for me from Jomtien to North Pattaya. Haven't tested any other areas, but the map shows the coverage.

pattaya_3g.gif

Cool, they have a promotion, sign up for post paid and get 750 Mb for 349 Baht per month.

The first 3 billings you'll get 2 months for your money (i.e. you only pay on month 1,3 and 5.

But, the killer is the excess data charge. Ridiculous. 0,01 Baht/kb. Or a cool extra 10 Baht/MB. So if you use 850 MB instead of the included 750 MB, you'll get hammered with 1349 Baht instead of 349 Baht if under the 750 MB...

pattaya_3g.gif

Cool, they have a promotion, sign up for post paid and get 750 Mb for 349 Baht per month.

The first 3 billings you'll get 2 months for your money (i.e. you only pay on month 1,3 and 5.

But, the killer is the excess data charge. Ridiculous. 0,01 Baht/kb. Or a cool extra 10 Baht/MB. So if you use 850 MB instead of the included 750 MB, you'll get hammered with 1349 Baht instead of 349 Baht if under the 750 MB...

You are completely erroneous in your assertions. The 3G is not a chargeable product. The Excess Charge relates to EDGE/GPRS usage.

I guess the form would be to set the software to 3G/W-CDMA only and only when that allowance runs out, switch to 2G(at the speeds they offer for EDGE/GPRS, you would be hard pressed to use up the 250MB allowance).

The promotion that you mention is only if you purchase and utilise their Air Card by the 31st of December(the promotion in on the included SIM).