Getting Around Town

Pillion

Hi Everyone,

How do you enjoy seeing the wonderful sights of Chiang Mai? such as the amazing markets? the breathtaking old city? and of course some beers on an evening. I've tried walking or getting Songtaews but they just don't do it for me anymore, the finest way to get around town, in my opinion, is riding pillion. Some bikes are better for riding pillion, more comfortable, bigger seats, better suspension etc, all these variables make for an either uncomfortable or wonderful time with the wind keeping your nogging cool.

I particularly favour the Mio, the Fino, the CZi and the trusty old Wave, those bikes have comfortable saddles and nice suspension, I'm not saddle sore when I get off. I don't care who the driver is as long as they can get me from A to B and show me the sights of this beautiful city.

If there is one thing I want to do, that is ride Pillion to the top of Doi Suthep.

What do you guys think? Should we make a club if there are other Pillion minded folks out there?

Yours,

The Back Seat Rider...

Pillion

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, get a bike. There are to many of you pillion riders around town and its always left to us motorbike owner/ renters to ferry you around. Coffee shops, bars, home, the list is endless. Please stop being a burden to us all.

"What do you guys think? Should we make a club if there are other Pillion minded folks out there?"

There are quite a few motorcycle clubs around Chaing Mai. A pillion specific club would be interesting. A friend of mine is an avid pillion rider and I'm sure he would welcome the support and brothership that a motorcycle club would offer. Especially without actually having to go through the hassle of buying/renting a bike himself.

Let me know if anything comes up. My friend would definitely be interested and I’m sure some of his other pillion friends would be do.

I think you ought to consider riding rather than sitting on the back.

The main reason is the fact you can come and go as you please. If you had your own bike you could have been to the top of doi sutep and beyond already.

I prefer the bike as a mode of transport over any, I have no interest in cars but I can see the advantage and convenience they offer at times.

If you started a club though, could you really class it as a bike / motorcycle club as there wouldn't be any?

If you started a club though, could you really class it as a bike / motorcycle club as there wouldn't be any?

That's why it would be called a "Pillion" club.

We could discuss the best bikes to ride pillion, the best seats for comfort and maybe tips and tricks for successful and comfortable pillion rides.

One trick I can do is not hold on to the back handles on the bike, I like to rest my hands on my knees, it's a trick that you need to practice on a stationary bike if possible as it can be very dangerous if not practiced carefully and thoroughly. I spend roughly 30mins a day practicing that trick on bikes.

It's tips and tricks like these that we could share at a pillion meeting

The Back Seat Rider....

Pillion

pillion.

re ... Some bikes are better for riding pillion, more comfortable, bigger seats, better suspension etc

it would be much safer for you to be sat in a white , blue or pink plastic chair in the front of this than on the back of a wave etc

thanks for the laugh ... dave2

Pillion - this is an absolutely brilliant idea! I can't believe no one has ever decided to start this type of club before! May I nominate you as Club President in-waiting :)

A bit of a story....Years ago I went over with a mate to pick up his new bike. He was a returning rider who, amongst other quirks, only had one leg. His right leg just below the knee had been lost to cancer when he was a boy and he had an artificial leg. I pondered at the time that that was going to present some difficulty when braking. I soon found out that it wasn’t a difficulty at all as he didn’t use the brakes…

The plan was for me to pillion him back on the bike, a Yamaha RD350LC, and for my mate to acclimatise himself with the machine once we got home with a few “around the block” rides, etc. It didn’t work out that way. Once cash had been exchanged for goods and my mates eyes glazed over at the idea of his new purchase, he decided that he’d ride home and I would pillion. Little did I know what I was letting my self in for.

Out of the shop and onto the street with Glenn doing his best Kenny Roberts impersonations and me clinging on in dread and mortal fear for my life - all at obscene speeds and with little or no regard for the road rules or other traffic.

And just when I thought that it couldn’t get worse, we hooked left and headed in towards our usual back street shortcut. As we howled down towards the bridge, I noted that there was a slow-moving car in front and I thanked God that Glenn was finally going to slow down as there was nowhere he could overtake…

Yeah, right. Without even slowing down, he flung the bike left, aimed for the gap between the car and the gutter and UNDERTOOK the car across the bridge, the left hand foot-peg scraping the kerb in the process. Needless to say I was screaming like a schoolgirl by this stage and I can’t even remember the rest of the ride. I know we survived because I’m here to tell the tale, but I surely don’t know how and I vowed never to get on the back with anyone ever again.

I still get the shakes every time I think of it. Mate, if you’re out there, I forgive you, but it’s taken a lot of years hah

Interesting to see that some bikes may perform better with a pillion!

CBR600RR better with a pillion?

Though it seems some bikers are against 'freeloading females'!

link

I was surpised to see some of the eariler posts stating their wouldn't be any bikes at a pillion club. Of course there wouldn't be any bikes during the meetings but they would be there before and after, to drop off and pick up the pillions to whom the club would belong.

Other posts stating that the OP must be either gay or female seem very strange. In today's libral society I see nothing wrong with the male pillion, if he should choose that lifestyle.

Ride (or sit) safe

Edited by GUANO

Kids welcome into the pillion club too?

If they can prove they're an experienced pillion then I can't see why not.

I'm no authority on the matter but I've been a dedicated pillion for the past 3 or so years, in those 3 or so years I've been pretty much everywhere in the city on the back of a bike, how many people can say that? Not many. Ok, so I've fallen off once or twice but thankfully the bike was either going slow or not moving at all, let's just say I had a 100piper malfunction in the balance department.

These years of experience and slight mishaps have made me a more confident and proud pillion. I can ride on the back of a bike straddling another man in complete tranquility

So going back to the original question, youngsters could come to the club if they wanted to, but could they tell me the difference in the level of cushioning between a Honda Wave seat and a Fino seat? I doubt it, but if they could they'd be welcome to the club for sure!!

If they can prove they're an experienced pillion then I can't see why not.

I'm no authority on the matter but I've been a dedicated pillion for the past 3 or so years, in those 3 or so years I've been pretty much everywhere in the city on the back of a bike, how many people can say that? Not many. Ok, so I've fallen off once or twice but thankfully the bike was either going slow or not moving at all, let's just say I had a 100piper malfunction in the balance department.

These years of experience and slight mishaps have made me a more confident and proud pillion. I can ride on the back of a bike straddling another man in complete tranquility

So going back to the original question, youngsters could come to the club if they wanted to, but could they tell me the difference in the level of cushioning between a Honda Wave seat and a Fino seat? I doubt it, but if they could they'd be welcome to the club for sure!!

He's very experienced, with 8 years and thousands of pillion miles in different countries. Together we did 1300km exploring the MHS loop at the end of August.

, were we had our first father-son crash - as a result of too much throttle over a water crossing. we just returned from Cave Lodge yesterday on the bike too.

He's very experienced, with 8 years and thousands of pillion miles in different countries. Together we did 1300km exploring the MHS loop at the end of August.

, were we had our first father-son crash - as a result of too much throttle over a water crossing. we just returned from Cave Lodge yesterday on the bike too.

That's a very commendable amount of time spent as a pillion. His 'miles pillioned' , as I like to call it, would suggest that he could most certainly join the club. Although, one of the major requirements for the Pillion Club is that you never have any intention of riding a bike yourself now or in the future. If he pledges to be a dedicated pillion such as myself and then we would welcome him.

Here is some interesting reading for my fellow pillions, some very interesting tips on riding pillion, unfortunately there aren't any tips of how to ask for lifts. Never mind.

Pillion Tips

That's a very commendable amount of time spent as a pillion. His 'miles pillioned' , as I like to call it, would suggest that he could most certainly join the club. Although, one of the major requirements for the Pillion Club is that you never have any intention of riding a bike yourself now or in the future. If he pledges to be a dedicated pillion such as myself and then we would welcome him.

Here is some interesting reading for my fellow pillions, some very interesting tips on riding pillion, unfortunately there aren't any tips of how to ask for lifts. Never mind.

Pillion Tips

Guess he's out cause when he turns 16 he wants a classic Vespa! :rolleyes:

Think it is a great idea, have read a study that proves that having a pillion on your bike may actually help prevent accidents, basically because the person driving is so pissed off he/she will concentrate more on his/her driving.

Also in this age of global warming pillion driving could actually help fix the ozone layer again and also enf world hunger, we all have to do our part, and think this idea of a pillion club to spread the word is a great idea.

Chiang Mai Pillion Brigade 1st chapter

Hello gang,

Just want to say thanks for the pillion club chat! I've been interested for a long time now as I have a question about pillion riders/riding for quite a while and nowhere to turn for answers.

The question is that I have a really special emblem jacket that I like to wear when I ride but no one can read it if I have a pillion passenger. So I have to give my jacket to my girlfriend to wear when we ride together and I feel a bit left-out. It would be too expensive to buy a new jacket for her so that we can both wear them, but to buy her a new bike would be even more expensive.

Any advice?

Thanks much,

Steve O.

Hello gang,

Just want to say thanks for the pillion club chat! I've been interested for a long time now as I have a question about pillion riders/riding for quite a while and nowhere to turn for answers.

The question is that I have a really special emblem jacket that I like to wear when I ride but no one can read it if I have a pillion passenger. So I have to give my jacket to my girlfriend to wear when we ride together and I feel a bit left-out. It would be too expensive to buy a new jacket for her so that we can both wear them, but to buy her a new bike would be even more expensive.

Any advice?

Thanks much,

Steve O.

Hi Steve O,

I know what you mean but you're almost sounding as if having a pillion on your bike is a burden, I've never had a complaint from one of my many drivers.

Regarding your question, I hope you don't think about buying your girlfriend a bike! Once a pillion, always a pillion, she doesn't need or want a bike if she's a true pillion like myself.

In regards to your jacket. I've had this obstacle before, it almost caused a problem between me and one of my drivers until the answer was right in front of my face, and no, my driver's head wasn't the answer! I suggested that the driver wore his jacket backwards so that he was wearing the back of his jacket on his front! Wonderful. One of the jobs of a pillion is to keep one's drivers happy.

The Back Seat Rider.....

Pillion

Pillion - this is an absolutely brilliant idea! I can't believe no one has ever decided to start this type of club before! May I nominate you as Club President in-waiting :)

A bit of a story....Years ago I went over with a mate to pick up his new bike. He was a returning rider who, amongst other quirks, only had one leg. His right leg just below the knee had been lost to cancer when he was a boy and he had an artificial leg. I pondered at the time that that was going to present some difficulty when braking. I soon found out that it wasn't a difficulty at all as he didn't use the brakes…

The plan was for me to pillion him back on the bike, a Yamaha RD350LC, and for my mate to acclimatise himself with the machine once we got home with a few "around the block" rides, etc. It didn't work out that way. Once cash had been exchanged for goods and my mates eyes glazed over at the idea of his new purchase, he decided that he'd ride home and I would pillion. Little did I know what I was letting my self in for.

Out of the shop and onto the street with Glenn doing his best Kenny Roberts impersonations and me clinging on in dread and mortal fear for my life - all at obscene speeds and with little or no regard for the road rules or other traffic.

And just when I thought that it couldn't get worse, we hooked left and headed in towards our usual back street shortcut. As we howled down towards the bridge, I noted that there was a slow-moving car in front and I thanked God that Glenn was finally going to slow down as there was nowhere he could overtake…

Yeah, right. Without even slowing down, he flung the bike left, aimed for the gap between the car and the gutter and UNDERTOOK the car across the bridge, the left hand foot-peg scraping the kerb in the process. Needless to say I was screaming like a schoolgirl by this stage and I can't even remember the rest of the ride. I know we survived because I'm here to tell the tale, but I surely don't know how and I vowed never to get on the back with anyone ever again.

I still get the shakes every time I think of it. Mate, if you're out there, I forgive you, but it's taken a lot of years hah

This signifies the difference between a proper Pro and a pillion amateur. The Pro will never scream, tense his muscles or even show the slightest shred of discomfort or fear.

A bit of a story....Years ago I went over with a mate to pick up his new bike. He was a returning rider who, amongst other quirks, only had one leg. His right leg just below the knee had been lost to cancer when he was a boy and he had an artificial leg. I pondered at the time that that was going to present some difficulty when braking. I soon found out that it wasn't a difficulty at all as he didn't use the brakes…

The plan was for me to pillion him back on the bike, a Yamaha RD350LC, and for my mate to acclimatise himself with the machine once we got home with a few "around the block" rides, etc. It didn't work out that way. Once cash had been exchanged for goods and my mates eyes glazed over at the idea of his new purchase, he decided that he'd ride home and I would pillion. Little did I know what I was letting my self in for.

And just when I thought that it couldn't get worse, we hooked left and headed in towards our usual back street shortcut. As we howled down towards the bridge, I noted that there was a slow-moving car in front and I thanked God that Glenn was finally going to slow down as there was nowhere he could overtake…

Yeah, right. Without even slowing down, he flung the bike left, aimed for the gap between the car and the gutter and UNDERTOOK the car across the bridge, the left hand foot-peg scraping the kerb in the process. Needless to say I was screaming like a schoolgirl by this stage and I can't even remember the rest of the ride. I know we survived because I'm here to tell the tale, but I surely don't know how and I vowed never to get on the back with anyone ever again.

I still get the shakes every time I think of it. Mate, if you're out there, I forgive you, but it's taken a lot of years hah

Great story, Rex. Reminds me of some rides in my younger days... 120 mph on a Matchless Hurricane and riding the white line while flying between oncoming vehicles.

Motorbikes are great, but DANGEROUS... whether you are the driver or the passenger. A motorbike is much harder to control when two or more people are on board. The smaller the bike the worse it is.

If I want to see stuff I walk or go with someone who has a car. If I want to get somewhere myself I take my motorbike. When I'm on a motorbike I concentrate on the traffic around me and pay no attention to the view. I rode by Tuskers for 6 months without even knowing it was there. I finally had to ask someone, and got a laugh when I realized how many times I had passed it..

Great story, Rex. Reminds me of some rides in my younger days... 120 mph on a Matchless Hurricane and riding the white line while flying between oncoming vehicles.

Motorbikes are great, but DANGEROUS... whether you are the driver or the passenger. A motorbike is much harder to control when two or more people are on board. The smaller the bike the worse it is.

If I want to see stuff I walk or go with someone who has a car. If I want to get somewhere myself I take my motorbike. When I'm on a motorbike I concentrate on the traffic around me and pay no attention to the view. I rode by Tuskers for 6 months without even knowing it was there. I finally had to ask someone, and got a laugh when I realized how many times I had passed it..

Now, if you're going to get lifts from people with cars that's just plain cheating. A dedicated and passionate pillion would NEVER choose a car over a motorbike, where is the art of being a passenger in a car? Ok sitting in the passenger seat without holding on to anything is a little thrilling but that trick took me only a couple of days to master when I was a child, however riding pillion without using the grab handles is a skill, no sorry, an art that I've been perfecting and practicing to this very day.

So when you talk of cars, I must say it disappoints me a little.

Live life on the edge.... be a pillion.

The Back Seat Rider

Pillion

Edited by Pillion

I really can't read this topic without a smirk on my face, sorry pillion.

I have no problem being on the back and I'm quite happy to have a pillion on the back, but I truly believe that unless you ride yourself at times then you can never fully apreciate the bike fully.

Some people may disagree with me on this, up to them.

I do think you should start the club though. It appears there are other like minded people so a social event would be a good thing.

You might even encourage motorcycle taxis to appear in Chiang Mai which is something we seem to be missing up here.

would be interesting to have a ride past and see how many members turn out (obviously not stopping as riders appear to be excluded lol)

I really can't read this topic without a smirk on my face, sorry pillion.

I have no problem being on the back and I'm quite happy to have a pillion on the back, but I truly believe that unless you ride yourself at times then you can never fully apreciate the bike fully.

Some people may disagree with me on this, up to them.

I do think you should start the club though. It appears there are other like minded people so a social event would be a good thing.

You might even encourage motorcycle taxis to appear in Chiang Mai which is something we seem to be missing up here.

would be interesting to have a ride past and see how many members turn out (obviously not stopping as riders appear to be excluded lol)

I'm slightly disappointed you find this topic amusing. Being a pillion is something I take seriously which is clear to see from the hours I put in practicing on stationary bikes the 'no grab handle' art.

I do believe you're slightly misguided if you believe that being a driver is the be all and end all. Being a pillion, you appreciate the bike a whole lot more, the comfort of the seat, the softness (or hardness) of the rear suspension, and on the occasion when the driver shifts gears too sharply or brakes too hard and my head clunks off his, I let out a little giggle, I've found incidents like these really bring the pillion and their driver closer together on an emotional level.

So as you can see from my points, it's actually the pillion that gets most from the bike, and the best part of it, I don't even pay for fuel! I love free rides.

Pillion

Edited by Pillion

Dear Mr Pillion,

My missus is normally the pillion when I'm riding and she constantly finds a way to fall asleep when I riding along the road. All of a sudden there is a extra weight on my back and I just know its the missus. She also enjoys trying to feed me all sorts of wonders as I'm tanking along at 90k's an hour. Both these problems can potential cause an accident and I was wondering what your thoughts are on the matter. Is there any skills she could possibly learn to help her sleep and eat while riding pillion.

Dear Mr Pillion,

My missus is normally the pillion when I'm riding and she constantly finds a way to fall asleep when I riding along the road. All of a sudden there is a extra weight on my back and I just know its the missus. She also enjoys trying to feed me all sorts of wonders as I'm tanking along at 90k's an hour. Both these problems can potential cause an accident and I was wondering what your thoughts are on the matter. Is there any skills she could possibly learn to help her sleep and eat while riding pillion.

Hi Slinky,

Thanks for your serious question, I'm happy to see your girlfriend is a dedicated pillion. Please tell her about the club.

In regards to your question, this can be a very tricky situation, I'm honestly quite surprised your girlfriend can fall asleep riding pillion, I never feel more awake when I'm sitting legs apart behind a man. When I've been on longer journeys with my driver it has been necessary to feed them. I find food that you have to spoon, rice for example, can be a little messy and the driver could end up with a messy crotch, I've had to clean a few of those. The food I would recommend would be something such as a sandwich, or a hotdog, if you can get the coordination it's harmonious.

I've also practiced this skill on stationary bikes.

I hope this has helped your problem.

Pillion

It appears that there is some interest in starting the first Pillion Club in Chiang Mai.

I can organise the meeting place if we have enough interest.

If we don't meet at a bar we can bring our own alcohol as lets face it, we won't be driving on the way home. And of course bring your own drivers.

We could share tips and tricks and maybe we can get our hands on a spare motorbike seat to practice sitting and balancing skills.

Are there any interested people?

It appears that there is some interest in starting the first Pillion Club in Chiang Mai.

If we don't meet at a bar we can bring our own alcohol as lets face it, we won't be driving on the way home. And of course bring your own drivers.

We could share tips and tricks and maybe we can get our hands on a spare motorbike seat to practice sitting and balancing skills.

Wrt tips and tricks ; Pillion riding whilst carrying various objects is also a skill. I used to live on Koh Phi Phi and decided I needed a mountain bike for exercise (OK riding from my bungalow to the various bars for the sheer fun of weaving in and out of tourists in various stages of inebriation, them, not me, though occasionally me as well). Ferry over to Krabi, down the bikeshop and choose a bike. Needs to be assembled and I've got a ferry back to catch. No worries, they'll deliver to me at the port. Being somewhat naive to thai transport methods, I was amused to see said bike arriving at the port being carried at head height by the pillion passenger.

Fast forward 10 or so years, I find myself in Chiang Mai and decide I need a mountain bike for exercise................ A local thai friend of mine knows of a second hand bike place over the Ping river somewhere and will give me a lift to go and have a look. Find a decent Merida and buy it with the intention of riding back home on it. My friend wouldn't hear of it and I find myself whizzing home on the back of his bike clutching on to the mountain bike like grim death. Certainly an experience., but felt kind of proud of my small attempt at assimilation with the populace.

As the main instigator maybe you could rename yourself as Pa Pillion?