Dedicated Computer Monitors Over 23 Inches Available In Thailand?

Jingthing

I haven't seen any dedicated monitors for sale in Pattaya that are larger than 23 inches. For example the Samsung store at Central Pattaya beach only sells a 23 inch when I know that Samsung makes a 27 inch one. When I ask them if I can special order a larger one, they say no. Dell also makes a 27 inch but haven't seen this for sale anywhere. Probably there are other manufacturers that make monitors over 23 inch and I know they are popular in other countries. I don't understand what the problem with this in Thailand is, you would think with all the GAMING that people do here, there would be a demand.

Well, anyway, can someone point me to a place to buy these larger monitors, hopefully in Pattaya, but Bangkok info also of use.

I recently purchased this one as a travel monitor. It's 24 inches, but so light and thin with a detachable stand that doesn't require tools.. so it packs very easily for travel and runs off my notebook. It was about baht 8900 and is available in many stores in Pantip.. not sured about Pattaya. I bought mine from an authorized Samsung dealer.. most are not. Be careful, they'll tell you anything to make a sale.

If you're interested in spending big bucks I can hook you up with a rep at NEC who can order anything they carry.. there is typically a 45 day wait.. which often turns into 60+ days, but eventually they arrive. I have two of their LCD2690uxi2's and I love them. I'll be ordering two PA271w's which are 27" models the first of the year.

Dell does sell both their u2411 and u2711... 24 and 27 inch models.

There's a lot to monitors.. if it's just a general purpose monitor it's hard to go wrong with the inexpensive Samsung. If you need professional imaging monitors the NEC's are great. The Dell IPS monitors get mixed reviews.. they've never been that consistent. Get a good one and you'll be happy.. but this isn't a country where returning something which isn't obviously not functioning is near impossible. YMMV..

Thanks for the info so far. I would still prefer a local bricks and mortar source in Pattaya though. Now that I know the 27 Samsung is for sale somewhere in Thailand, I think I may try to push the Samsung store at the Central mall to at least try to get one for me.

Edited by Jingthing

Why a dedicated monitor?

I'm using a 32 inch Samsung Series 5 TV ...... HDMI input 1920 x 1080

Cost about 17kBHT, available everywhere, works perfectly.

That's a very low resolution for the price - I have 1920x1200 on my 17" laptop...

So before you do that, just get a nice 24" 1920x1200 monitor, will be a much better experience and much better quality. Costs less too.

I see on the page above that many companies now make monitor spin-offs of their TVs - seems like it's just the TV, for 2x the price. In that case buying the TV would be better. High resolution displays - e.g. higher than my laptop - seem pretty rare. HP makes a 30", and some 27" ones. I wouldn't go for anything less.

Why a dedicated monitor?

I'm using a 32 inch Samsung Series 5 TV ...... HDMI input 1920 x 1080

Cost about 17kBHT, available everywhere, works perfectly.

Good question. I asked this question before and there seemed to be some technical issues with using a tv as a monitor that I wanted to avoid.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, update on this. Samsung monitors larger than 23" are available in Pattaya at Wattana Computer (Tukcom and Pattaya Klang). They may need to order from Bangkok and if in stock can be sent within a day or two. Not sure how long to special order if not in stock, probably a long time. The Samsung store at Central mall does not handle computer monitors, won't even order them. The adjacent Power Buy can order larger monitors but doesn't stock them, so a very long wait, over a month. Check Wattana.

24" Samsungs run in the 10K baht range, if you want 27" you're talking 20K baht.

Edited by Jingthing

• 4 months later...

I'm also interested in getting a 24" or 27" PC monitor.

But I have what is perhaps a very silly question.

I have a 13" laptop with a maximum screen resolution of 1366 x 768.

If I hook that up to a 27" PC monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1200, will I actually experience a lower definition on the monitor than I do on the laptop? Sort of like just enlarging the display on the laptop to fit a bigger screen?

I'm asking as I currently have the laptop connected to an HDTV (using an HDMI cable), but the definition is not great. Not anything like I see on the big monitors in the Apple store, anyway!

Thanks for your help

I bought a Samsung 26" (T260) from IT City at TukCom 1 1/2 years ago for 12,900 baht. They had to order it from their store in Bangkok, but as I recall it only took a few days. I would think the price would have come down since then.

I love the monitor!

Dell U Series upto 30" availale from Dell Thailand direct to your door.

I've never liked Dell websites: very complicated and hard to navigate around. The Thai one is a masterpiece though: I spent 5 minutes on it just now and couldnt find a list of available monitors, let alone any way to buy one. Also they dont seem to cater for private buyers here at all: just big and small businesses.

No wonder they are going bust!

I bought a Samsung 26" (T260) from IT City at TukCom 1 1/2 years ago for 12,900 baht. They had to order it from their store in Bangkok, but as I recall it only took a few days. I would think the price would have come down since then.

Only one monitor over 24" on the site that I could see: and that was a 27" Samsung for the same 12,900 you paid.

The big difference in prices and the rarity of screens over 23" makes me wonder if there isnt some sort of extra tax on larger screens here?

I've never liked Dell websites: very complicated and hard to navigate around.

I've also recently spent a lot of time on the Dell sites and was also frustrated. Yeah, the Thai site has nothing of use regarding monitors as I'm still wanting to buy the U2410.

I've never liked Dell websites: very complicated and hard to navigate around. The Thai one is a masterpiece though: I spent 5 minutes on it just now and couldnt find a list of available monitors, let alone any way to buy one. Also they dont seem to cater for private buyers here at all: just big and small businesses.

Glad it's not just me as I looked at their site with the same result.

I'm in the process of trying to order a U2311H through a JIB store in Bangkok. It's a pain... but I'll post in a week or two if i get anywhere. Price is supposed to be 9k which is a bit dearer than Australia where they can be had for $220 or 6700 baht now.

A few of the second hand monitor shops sell used Dell monitors. I didn't see the top models but i did pickup a 3 year old Dell 17' 1280 x 1024 in excellent condition for a very reasonable 2100 baht last week. The seller was saying they were imported, not sourced from Thailand.

Dell Thailand is not difficult to order.

Call the number on the website. Order the model number you want U2311 or in my case the u3011 they email u the quote sign it email it back then pay with your credit card over the phone. The monitor is delivered free anywhere in Thailand in 7 days.

Why you would order from JIB or consider second hand when you can get a new one delivered from Dell Thailand with 3 year warranty.

Any DELL monitor is available direct from Dell Thailand (Current Models only) - They are made in Malaysia and that is where it ships from. They give u a tracking number so you can keep an eye on the DELL order status page for updates.

Edited by negreanu

Call the number on the website.

That's what had me confused as the numbers are 1-800 numbers and thought that was only for the US and is why I didn't try. Checked and found 1-800 numbers (toll free) are used in Thailand and other countries also. Will give it a try next week.

As for the U2411, can't find any information on it such as release date, 16:10/16:9 matte/glossy, etc. Appears may not be released for a while?

Call the number on the website. Order the model number you want

So much for online commerce and the 21st century!

And how do you know which model number to order when there is (apparently) no list of products or prices on the site? I suppose you ask the guy on the phone and he sends you a paper catalogue? :cheesy:

Even Apple can manage a decent online shop in Thailand, why cant Dell? No wonder Dell are going bust.

So much for online commerce and the 21st century!

And how do you know which model number to order when there is (apparently) no list of products or prices on the site? I suppose you ask the guy on the phone and he sends you a paper catalogue? :cheesy:

Even Apple can manage a decent online shop in Thailand, why cant Dell? No wonder Dell are going bust.

Perhaps some common sense should be applied here - Agree the Thailand website is terrible!

But surely one has enough intelligence to get the model number from the main US Dell site and order through DELL Thailand?? Sounds like a plan??

If the DELL monitor is what you want then I would imagine the end user has already done some research on the model they want and can simply call and order.

Edited by negreanu

• 2 months later...

But surely one has enough intelligence to get the model number from the main US Dell site and order through DELL Thailand??

I would recommend to look at the Singapore Dell (dell.sg) site rather than the USA one.

There are many products available in Asia but not is USA/Europe, or reverse.

BTW there is now a Thai promotion for the Dell 24" U2410

at 16,000 baht +VAT only. A good 1920x1200 24" monitor :)

I did eventually get a new monitor. Settled on my second choice, the Dell U2311H as I wasn't happy with paying the prices NEC charge for Thailand orders, plus having to wait over a month for delivery so ordering two Dells for less than the NEC I liked was the best option for me.

The 1-800 number for Dell does work although I had my concerns when I called only to be told everyone was busy but they did call me back within the hour.

When they did I told them what I was after and they e-mailed a quote the same day.

If you want to see what is available then the site to check is Dell Malaysia, it's where Dell Thailand order from.

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=my&l=en&s=bsd&cs=mybsd1&category_id=4058&~ck=bt&sort=-price&p=3

The prices are in RM but convert them to baht (x10 will give you an approximation of the Thai price) and that's pretty much what Dell Thailand will charge you, plus tax.

I don't know if everything listed there is available for Thailand delivery but the 23,24,27 &30" Ultrasharps certainly are.

If something is on promotion then that is the price you will be charged unlike NEC who charge full retail.

If what you want isn't on promotion and you aren't in a hurry then keep checking the site as popular monitors like the U2311H are discounted regularly.

You have various payment options but if you want to transfer payment to their account then unless you can deposit at their bank in Bangkok (Asoke area) you need to make a transfer from your own bank which in my case cost 150 baht and took 15 minutes to complete the paperwork. Once the order was processed delivery time for me was six days. Dell rang me a few days before to arrange a delivery time. If you are in downtown Bangkok it may be quicker as the delivery driver told me he delivered to my area only once a week. I'm happy with my purchase, good screen, fully adjustable stand and not a fingerprint magnet like most new monitors.

I just ordered a Dell U2410 (16:10 IPS panel). Just used the 1-800 number (toll free) shown on the Dell Thailand website and asked for a sales person. Very helpful and responsive as I had a full quotation in my e-mail within a few hours. Signed and faxed it back and informed them of form of payment and sales contacted me quickly informing me they will notify me to verify my shipping address when it arrives.

So yes, they do sell to end users.

The switch board operators on the other hand has a lot to be desired. :D

I noticed a 24in monitor in one or another shop here the other day: I think it was 7200B. Seemed quite good value.

Still not seen anything in Pattaya over 24in, apart from Apple screens.

I purchased my (now replaced with 32"LCD full HDTV) 24" Acer "S243HL" LED screen in tukom, was in there on Sunday and see a few still available.

Edited by Spoonman

That was probably what I saw. 24in is big enough for my needs. I would buy one of those you mention but I've got a 2 year old one doing nothing in the UK and will bring it back here in my suitcase later in the year.