No Booze In The Pub

jonwilly

I had lunch in The Pub today.

They have a notice and a Police letter from Bangkok on the board.

The letter states that no Booze may be sold or consumed from 2 pm to 5 pm.

Daughter has checked with local police Station who confirm ban.

john

Any comments

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The police have been talking about this for a few years, even I was told I cannot serve alcohol between 2-5pm everyday. we still do though :blink:

Why do you still sell alcohol between 2-5pm even after the police have told you not to sell alcohol during those times? :blink:

The police have been talking about this for a few years, even I was told I cannot serve alcohol between 2-5pm everyday. we still do though :blink:

Why do you still sell alcohol between 2-5pm even after the police have told you not to sell alcohol during those times? :blink:

why dont you ask the same question next time you go in to your local mom and pop shop or anywhere you happen to be next time you buy something from one of these many outlets. and while your at it ask them if they also pay tax on all goods sold too. whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

why dont you ask the same question next time you go in to your local mom and pop shop or anywhere you happen to be next time you buy something from one of these many outlets. and while your at it ask them if they also pay tax on all goods sold too. whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Because I could care less about your question...B)

Because I was given the option to pay a little tea money every month. why else do you think? what a stupid question, do you know anything about this country? :blink::blink::blink:

Because I could care less about your question...B)

well then as onnut has already stated, you obviously know nothing about how this country works. so why bother passing comment on this thread. whistling.gifwink.gif

Edited by tigerfish

Today I tried to order a beer at the Tesco food court which I have done many times in the afternoon. Today when I tried to order a beer at about 14:02, a girl came over and handed me a small document in Thai only, apparently the law is being strictly enforced there now.

It has been at Carrefour too, just buy 10 litres or more and you are exempt from the law :)

A Case of beer is close to 10 litres, so that and a couple of bottles of spirits or wine and your right to go.

Today I tried to order a beer at the Tesco food court which I have done many times in the afternoon. Today when I tried to order a beer at about 14:02, a girl came over and handed me a small document in Thai only, apparently the law is being strictly enforced there now.

It has been at Carrefour too, just buy 10 litres or more and you are exempt from the law :)

A Case of beer is close to 10 litres, so that and a couple of bottles of spirits or wine and your right to go.

Or just don't shop between 2pm and 5pm

It is a pain in the arse sometimes. I have a slow part of the day when I can get out and do some shopping and that is between 2-5pm. sometimes if I am buying booze, which is not often and so the reason I always forget, they do not sell at that time! I dont understand this law.

It is a pain in the arse sometimes. I have a slow part of the day when I can get out and do some shopping and that is between 2-5pm. sometimes if I am buying booze, which is not often and so the reason I always forget, they do not sell at that time! I dont understand this law.

It's aimed at the Thai community mainly, not the tourist/expat market, they wouldn't want parents picking kids up from school drunk. I still remember when you could buy alcohol easily at gas stations in the shops.

Around Navy bases and such, like Sattaheep you can't even buy alcohol at all in 7/11's due to the issues that causes.

It's aimed at the Thai community mainly, not the tourist/expat market, they wouldn't want parents picking kids up from school drunk. I still remember when you could buy alcohol easily at gas stations in the shops.

Around Navy bases and such, like Sattaheep you can't even buy alcohol at all in 7/11's due to the issues that causes.

oh ok, I supose it makes sense in a Thai sort of way then. thanks :)

I'll disagree with this statement. The police have hit just about every bar in the Loi Khro area, from the moat to Chang Khlan and issued warnings and signs. Some bars have put them up and some have not. The law states no selling of alcohol tell 11 AM and no selling between 2 and 5 PM and no selling after midnight. If the BIB are upset at a particular bar for not receiving respect that bar could be in deep shyt. I was in a bar today between 2 PM and 5 PM and we had a few beers.:whistling: Owners know the law and they know what is being paid out for tea bags. It is up to them if the risk is worth it.:unsure:

I'll disagree with this statement. The police have hit just about every bar in the Loi Khro area, from the moat to Chang Khlan and issued warnings and signs. Some bars have put them up and some have not. The law states no selling of alcohol tell 11 AM and no selling between 2 and 5 PM and no selling after midnight. If the BIB are upset at a particular bar for not receiving respect that bar could be in deep shyt. I was in a bar today between 2 PM and 5 PM and we had a few beers.:whistling: Owners know the law and they know what is being paid out for tea bags. It is up to them if the risk is worth it.:unsure:

As we all know, what the law was originally meant for and what it is being implemented as can be two different things here in Thailand, but fact is that is what the law was introduced for nearly 10 years ago is correct for my post, i would be happy to discuss it over a beer as long as its not between 2 and 5 pm, unless we can get enough of us together for 10 litres.

LOL. HellO! Welcome to Thailand. :)

I don't want to unduly hurry the process of acclimatizing to the local culture, but the RTP is the organization that you can arrange stuff with that's WAY more vile than buying a beer. Child sexual abuse and everything. Save your breath for shit that matters!

As we all know, what the law was originally meant for and what it is being implemented as can be two different things here in Thailand, but fact is that is what the law was introduced for nearly 10 years ago is correct for my post, i would be happy to discuss it over a beer as long as its not between 2 and 5 pm, unless we can get enough of us together for 10 litres.

This is where we can agree to disagree for they have also gone into restaurant in the tourist area and informed them of the law and enforcing it. So. What we thank it was meant for 10 years ago has no bearing when an institution is fined for violation.

be funny as <deleted> if they start enforcing this in Pattaya, are guesthouses that serve food exempt ??

Infact who would I approach here to help them enforce the laws, I would happily dump some coin just to fuc_k over a few <deleted> I know.

Edited by Spoonman

I'd read that school kids drinking upon being freed each day was also part of the justification for the 2-5 law.

In my backward country, laws for purchase vary from state to state and county to county sometimes. My home state denies sales on Sunday mornings and after 2:00 a.m., but the province in Canada next door sells nothing on Sunday at all from their provincial stores, and only during business hours which vary from community to community, extended sometimes in early evening in some seasons. Back not 100 years ago, all beer, wine, and liquor were banned in the entire nation of the U.S.

England's pubs opened, closed, opened, had last call, and sent everyone home in time to get sober for work. In some countries, they make Thai taxes on alcohol appear tiny. For all I know, they require retinal identification in Singapore.

Thus, IT IS WRITTEN:

He who is un-acculturated is lost. Thirsty, tool

OR: Lighten up! Get with the program! Go with the flow! Observe, but don't judge! That kind of stuff. Anyway, I'm trying.

Edited by CMX

Yeah, I was in London in the mid Seventies...Carnaby Street, every one feeling grooooooovy.

I'm a tourist. I decide to go to a pub for a pint around 12 or 1 mid-day. Big mistake.

Laaaast Call, Ladies and Gentlemen!

<deleted>? A law dating from the Great War, to get all the munitions plant workers back to the factory?

It's not just Thailand that has these laws......:lol:

be funny as <deleted> if they start enforcing this in Pattaya, are guesthouses that serve food exempt ??

Infact who would I approach here to help them enforce the laws, I would happily dump some coin just to fuc_k over a few <deleted> I know.

Guesthouses are not exempt. All establishment that serve alcohol are targeted. Fuji and Shsbushi Restaurants at Pantip do not serve alcohol during these hours for this reason. Other restaurants of high caliber have been notified. As for Pattaya there is a relatively new law on the books that make it illegal to have an alcohol manufacturers name or logo on any item in the bar. Glasses, bar towels coasters, lights , beer condoms ,ashtray, etc. etc. and they have been busting bars that have not paid enough respect on these charges in Pattaya. Selective again. I'm sure it will be used up hear. Any one like to buy a bar??????????:whistling:

Yeah, I was in London in the mid Seventies...Carnaby Street, every one feeling grooooooovy.

I'm a tourist. I decide to go to a pub for a pint around 12 or 1 mid-day. Big mistake.

Laaaast Call, Ladies and Gentlemen!

<deleted>? A law dating from the Great War, to get all the munitions plant workers back to the factory?

It's not just Thailand that has these laws......:lol:

:lol: that is true, but at least in Thailand they only make laws so we can break them so they can get tea money!!! something like that :whistling:

Thanks for the information. They aren't really that concerned about the kids in the western world.

Typical farong attitudes only care about farong places. The original idea was good maybe the handling of it is pretty iffy. However apparently from reading the posts on this thread every body thinks they are still in farong land. Wake up it is Thailand we are a minority.

:jap:

Thanks for the information. They aren't really that concerned about the kids in the western world.

Well, they're concerned enough to want to speak to parents who would put three kids on a motorbike without helmets. For starters. :rolleyes:.

( Oh right, they're concerned for kids in Thailand because they vaseline out glasses of beer on TV. :D )