Thailand Warns Of Flash Floods, Mudslides

webfact

Thailand warns of flash floods, mudslides

BANGKOK, October 27, 2010 (AFP) - Thai authorities on Wednesday issued a warning for possible flash floods and mudslides in 15 southern provinces in the coming days as three more deaths were reported from rising waters.

The floods, the worst to hit parts of Thailand in decades, have left at least 59 people dead since October 10, the Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand said in an updated toll.

The authorities estimate that 3.2 million people across the country have been affected by the floods, with homes submerged and farmland or cattle destroyed.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he expected the situation to continue for weeks.

"Officials must work hard now because if the floods hit Bangkok it would be miserable as the capital and its suburbs are key economic areas," he told reporters.

So far, about 1,000 homes along the Chao Phraya river in Bangkok have been flooded, he said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-10-27

Its been raining non stop in samui today , and heavy rain as well , many mountain roads turned into rivers !

That's not good.. Where are going to travel next week to Ko Samui.. Is it possible to sun on the beach, or are there many floods and rain expexted for the next weeks?

I'm coming from The Netherlands...

Do you suggest to travel to the other side, Phuket?

Warning

"Heavy Rain and Strong Wind-Wave"

No. 5 Time Issued : October 27, 2010

During 27-31 October, the intense northeast monsoon across southern Thailand and the upper Gulf of Thailand and monsoon trough over the Andaman Sea, the middle South and Gulf’s Thailand bring more rain with heavy to very heavy falls in many areas. People in disaster areas near waterways and in lowlands should beware of flash flood.

As the strong wind-wave occurs in the Gulf, all ships proceed with caution and small boats keep ashore during this period.

The ridge of intense high pressure from China has covered upper Thailand and brings less rain over northern, northeastern, central and eastern Thailand with cooler weather by 2-5 oC drops and windy.

This severe weather conditions will be issued and notified periodically.

The advisory is in effect for Thailand from 27 October 2010

Issued at 4.00 p.m.

-- http://www.tmd.go.th/

Its been raining non stop in samui today , and heavy rain as well , many mountain roads turned into rivers !

That's not good.. Where are going to travel next week to Ko Samui.. Is it possible to sun on the beach, or are there many floods and rain expexted for the next weeks?

We have had some fantastic weather over the past couple of weeks. Today is what I would say is a typical "wet season" day. Yes, it's been wet all day but you never know exactly what tomorrow will bring. Personally, I would not suggest you travel to Phuket. Buy hey, that's just me!!! :whistling:

We have had some fantastic weather over the past couple of weeks. Today is what I would say is a typical "wet season" day. Yes, it's been wet all day but you never know exactly what tomorrow will bring. Personally, I would not suggest you travel to Phuket. Buy hey, that's just me!!! :whistling:

Phuket is raining, but not flooding. Forecast is some rain but good days also (www.windfinder.com)

Siam Hotel

This is Thailand's Rainy season !!!!

Rain is possible any day or every day

But this time the North East has got off lightly ( EXCEPT KORAT ) Very little rain here for the past month long warm often hot days

BUT sorry NO BEACHES

Lots of nice National parks and waterfalls which are ok up here

But of course this is not what Western tourists want

No bars or kiss me quick hats ( well a few bars in the cities )

Edited by johncat1

Hello,

This is poor little me - living in Samui since donkey years.

I check the weather reports on a daily basis and am dismayed

by how inaccurate they are. Prognosis: invariably rain, rain and

more of the same.

Reality on the ground: most days NO rain at all and the other

days mild rains for 20-30 minutes, some times more than once

PLUS occasionally (say 2-3 times a week) a bout of heavy rains

lasting no more than 3-5 minutes.

I live in between Lamai and Hua Thanon.

As I got some lands in the hills (no mountains in Samui) I'm

keenly following the weather as heavy rains erode the dirt

roads (actually tracks) going up into the hills.

Granted: weather varies greatly east/west - north/south

same time/same day.

I pray for more and so do a great many here.

The ground water table continuously to drops (since yrs).

Steasdy slow rain would be ideal.

Heavy down pours only create havoc/misery.

Yours truly.