Suvarnabhumi Further Cracks Smiles

george

Is it one of the top 10 airports of the world? No - probably not. But over the past three years I have formed a very close relationship with Suvarnabhumi - not by choice but by necessity! I have had regional responsibility for the South-East Asian market for a British company for the past three years. I ended up using Bangkok as a hub because of BKK's excellent connections in the region and the fact that it was an efficient airport (not to mention that the Thai market was growing fast and it made financial sense). On average I was passing through BKK at least twice a month for nearly three years. In those 36+ arrivals/departures/transits I have experienced very little of the hassle that some of the posters seem to have on here. In fact part of the reason I chose to relocate to Bangkok about a month ago was that the airport is efficient (especially with the added rail link) which will allow me to go about my business far better than being based in the UK - meaning even more trips through the airport.

I have never waited in an immigration queue for more than 25 minutes and it has never taken me more than 45 minutes from landing to be in a taxi. This despite many of my arrivals coming at the end of the European/Australian Thai Airways 747 arrivals bank in the early morning. I have learned a few tricks - realising that there are two incoming and two outgoing immigration points and that there are screens at each that show the other often less busy queue - and that it pays to pick an immigration queue that isn't full of obvious tourists who may not have filled in their immigration cards.

Yes some immigration people are a bit surly (but they are everywhere - except apparently China thanks to some Facebook-style feedback buttons). Perhaps not everything works as well as it should (but where does it other than Singapore's Changi Airport?). But overall - it's a very good hub that processes tens of millions of passengers in relative comfort each year. And it does so much better than most.

Since I travel so much for work - now mostly in SE Asia but before in Europe, other parts of Asia and North America as well - I have experienced dozens of airports around the world. The only ones I would rate above BKK are in Singapore (obvious choice!), Ottawa (beautiful new terminal and very efficient - though slow incoming immigration on international flights) and perhaps Toronto (thought the walk to the gates in the new T1 feels nearly as far as the far reaches of BKK and baggage seems to take forever to come out).

Nowhere is perfect - especially not in a developing country. I've noticed a lot of people on this thread and other threads like to compare to Changi. Changi is a propaganda piece by the Singapore government and they are very very successful in their effort! It's not fair to compare.

In the meantime - I think a bit of praise for the team at Suvarnabhumi is in order for making this effort. The airport has much improved since I started using it. Reupholstering the seats was a great move - as was adding the big lounge chairs where the security checks on the 2nd floor will be. The addition of the rail link (albeit rather late!) has made my commutes to the airport much smoother without the safety Russian roulette with taxi drivers (though only one has tried to rip me off - a few have nearly plowed into traffic at 160km/h).

And as another poster suggested to some of the cynics on here - how about trying to smile back when smiled at while passing through the airport? The positive attitude that results might even make you see the airport in a new and less grumpy light.

barryFunk

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I love that huge glass and steel barn.

I particularly love all the local "characters" who want to help me with my luggage, my transport and my wallet.

I love trying to find something to during layovers besides eat.

I love walking a mile to take a leak.

I love looking desperately for some signage that might clearly indicate where I want to go.

I love Ole Swampy - especially in the afternoons when the sun turns many parts of it into the worlds biggest sauna.

And lets not forget the abysmal lack of seating anywhere, wouldn't want to take up real-estate that could go to another crappy kiosk or high-end designer outlet where no one ever buys anything.

The current Airport of Scowls, which is Immigrations and Customs default mode, immediately leaves you feeling unwelcome, if not loathed.

Start with that side and work your way out to the taxi and limo touts, the second biggest irritation.

What's the issue with toilets? They are all over the place. Maybe those with toilet problems should consider just how often they need to visit. Either you have undiagnosed diabetes or irritable bowel syndrome... probably the latter!*

And they are clean and you can see the cleaners too. Now if you want a toilet that smells like a urinal and looks like a shower stall, try any public toilet in Malaysia or the dripping example in the departures hall at Phuket International. Now THAT is disgusting!

* There's a special on incontinence pants at Big-C this week. Two for one special so you can put one on your head as well which should help those with wee bladders to <deleted>.

Is it one of the top 10 airports of the world? No - probably not. But over the past three years I have formed a very close relationship with Suvarnabhumi - not by choice but by necessity! I have had regional responsibility for the South-East Asian market for a British company for the past three years. I ended up using Bangkok as a hub because of BKK's excellent connections in the region and the fact that it was an efficient airport (not to mention that the Thai market was growing fast and it made financial sense). On average I was passing through BKK at least twice a month for nearly three years. In those 36+ arrivals/departures/transits I have experienced very little of the hassle that some of the posters seem to have on here. In fact part of the reason I chose to relocate to Bangkok about a month ago was that the airport is efficient (especially with the added rail link) which will allow me to go about my business far better than being based in the UK - meaning even more trips through the airport.

I have never waited in an immigration queue for more than 25 minutes and it has never taken me more than 45 minutes from landing to be in a taxi. This despite many of my arrivals coming at the end of the European/Australian Thai Airways 747 arrivals bank in the early morning. I have learned a few tricks - realising that there are two incoming and two outgoing immigration points and that there are screens at each that show the other often less busy queue - and that it pays to pick an immigration queue that isn't full of obvious tourists who may not have filled in their immigration cards.

Yes some immigration people are a bit surly (but they are everywhere - except apparently China thanks to some Facebook-style feedback buttons). Perhaps not everything works as well as it should (but where does it other than Singapore's Changi Airport?). But overall - it's a very good hub that processes tens of millions of passengers in relative comfort each year. And it does so much better than most.

Since I travel so much for work - now mostly in SE Asia but before in Europe, other parts of Asia and North America as well - I have experienced dozens of airports around the world. The only ones I would rate above BKK are in Singapore (obvious choice!), Ottawa (beautiful new terminal and very efficient - though slow incoming immigration on international flights) and perhaps Toronto (thought the walk to the gates in the new T1 feels nearly as far as the far reaches of BKK and baggage seems to take forever to come out).

Nowhere is perfect - especially not in a developing country. I've noticed a lot of people on this thread and other threads like to compare to Changi. Changi is a propaganda piece by the Singapore government and they are very very successful in their effort! It's not fair to compare.

In the meantime - I think a bit of praise for the team at Suvarnabhumi is in order for making this effort. The airport has much improved since I started using it. Reupholstering the seats was a great move - as was adding the big lounge chairs where the security checks on the 2nd floor will be. The addition of the rail link (albeit rather late!) has made my commutes to the airport much smoother without the safety Russian roulette with taxi drivers (though only one has tried to rip me off - a few have nearly plowed into traffic at 160km/h).

And as another poster suggested to some of the cynics on here - how about trying to smile back when smiled at while passing through the airport? The positive attitude that results might even make you see the airport in a new and less grumpy light.

barryFunk

Thanks for a sane perspective on BKK. Though I have only used the airport about 20 times each experience has been pretty enjoyable....as airports go....... and I actually don't at all mind the time spent there. As for the moaners and whiners they will froth at the mouth at absolutely anything relating to Thai public life. One wonders why they bother to live/travel in a country they hold in such contempt.

Don't read the news much, huh???

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/specials/suvarnabhumi/ff6.html

Not enough toilets!

Published on September 15, 2006 - The new airport has its soft opening today, but bosses must face some huge concerns - the main departure hall has only 100 seats and just four restrooms for men

The people behind the new Suvarnabhumi Airport love to boast about its numerous and impressive statistics and they have been doing so with some gusto for the past few weeks.

With the Bt150-billion airport's soft opening for some domestic flights by Thai Airways International starting this morning, here are some statistics that they don't want to boast about.

Question 1: How many toilets for men are there in the main departure hall, which is 444 metres long and about 50 metres wide, and a place where domestic and international passengers have to check in their luggage and get their boarding passes?

Some experts have told The Nation that given the volume of people passing through, there should be 200 or even 300. Are there that many at Suvarnabhumi?

The answer: there are 12 toilets and 16 urinals in four restrooms.

In fact, make that eight toilets as four of the 12 - one in each restroom - are set aside for the physically disadvantaged.

What's the issue with toilets? They are all over the place. Maybe those with toilet problems should consider just how often they need to visit. Either you have undiagnosed diabetes or irritable bowel syndrome... probably the latter!*

And they are clean and you can see the cleaners too. Now if you want a toilet that smells like a urinal and looks like a shower stall, try any public toilet in Malaysia or the dripping example in the departures hall at Phuket International. Now THAT is disgusting!

* There's a special on incontinence pants at Big-C this week. Two for one special so you can put one on your head as well which should help those with wee bladders to <deleted>.

Edited by jfchandler

That was back at the time of the airport's opening.... and now again earlier this year....

The toilet renovation project is part of AOT's plan to upgrade services to earn a better airport ranking in international surveys and make Suvarnabhumi one of the world's top 10 airports.

The airport's toilets do not enjoy the best of reputations. In fact, they have been a source of criticism for the AOT since the airport opened on Sept 28, 2006.

Insufficient toilets, leaky plumbing, undersized toilet bowls and hand wash basins, and wet floors overshadowed whatever appreciation travellers felt.

AOT president Serirat Prasutanond said the agency is working on the problem and there have been fewer complaints.

"The toilets are a hot issue. [but] our toilet makeover should eliminate the flaws," he said.

Anake Teeraviwatchai, director of the building maintenance division and a senior architect, said there are enough toilets at Suvarnabhumi but they seem inadequate because they are scattered all over the place.

"the campaign is to make the airport well known around the world as a place of smiles and hospitality where gracious and polite greetings and traditional Thai services are offered to passengers."

Great idea! How about renting out some excess space to few bars and massage parlours and the tourists would be able to taste these traditional Thai treats as soon as they land? "Hey you", "massage Sir" can be heard right away in the duty free area as the cheering ladies invite the tourist to their premises where they can have few drinks, relax, observe pole dancing and get it off right after, or before the flights. That would be the world's first and could put Bangkok at number 1 spot for best city, best airport and best boom-boom on the planet.

Great idea in the above

If that happened at Swampy, guys would arrive and stay at "Resort Swampy'.

Save going into Bangers, Phuket, Pataya, or where ever.

Shut half of rip=off merchant King Power's places and rent out to the gals.

"Helloooooo..... mister want a woteva?."

Edited by Zpete

An international airport that doesn't even provide free WIFI for the hours of waiting,

can't put a smile on my face, sorry. :annoyed:

Even Low Cost Airports like the LCCC provide that these days, not to speak of top airports like Changi, Doha etc. where it is a standard service since years. :jap:

I second that.

Been through the Swamp quite a few times without any problems at all. I would rate it well above average but not in the worlds top 10.

Of course if you come in from the UK nothing is going to be up to your standards.

Whining and complaining is a national pastime there....so if the Swamp can not provide you with Pie and mushy peas it's a minor disaster.

Best to stay home....life is a bitch everywhere else.

Smile... it's a start.

Doesn't really solve any real problems, so I'm not sure what that will ultimately do as a "first impression". I guess it could come across as being cheeky... or blissfully ignorant... or happily resigned... borderline inane?

Still... it's a start. Let's hope that's not the end of it.

give them some credit for recognizing the problem and taking steps to correct them.

LOS is the home of recognizing the problem ( police corruption, influential people, education etc) and then taking absolutely <deleted> all steps to correct them

The reality is if society were to become "Japan like" or "Singapore like", som dom and a night out would no longer be the same price nor would droves of women be so interested in the company of non Thai males especially if their salaries are on par with those of Japan.

What a bunch of moaning old farts you guys are.:bah:

Is it costing you anything now? No

Is it hurting you to have someone smile at you? No

Would it hurt you to smile back? No, unless you have just had an abdominal operation.

Can't you find enough trouble in the world to complain about, without inventing it?

Chill out and enjoy something ....just for a change.

I think it's a great idea.......have any of you flown Aeroflot lately? If not I think you should, join the other poe faces.

I totally agree. No matter the subject, all the whiners, complainers, and negative persons come out of the woodwork to complain and make stupid comments. That is why some refer to TV as the bitch blog. I guess they have nothing better to do with their time.

Swampy made the top ten list of airports, Bangkok is the best city in the world to live, and Thaksin is not a crook, ps, your check is in the mail.

FINALLY in Thailand a 'Crack UP!'

... at the airport,,, ever seen a tout who was not smiling, ever? they know how to do it

oh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

add to list, according to the London Telegraph, the ICC is reviewing a petition of whether the Thai PM will be tried on Crimes against Humanity

By Damien McElroy, Foreign Affairs Correspondent

Published: 4:37PM BST 26 Oct 2010

Totally off topic!

If you want to make such a remark why not at the appropriate topic

"Thai opposition urges world court to probe Bangkok violence"

Here: http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3982956

worth a laff and a 1/2 to hear how your Post was on Topic???

give it

anyway, Any body who could say Thaksin isn't a crook needs clue, anyway, and a 1/2

Have to agree with Barry Funk, a genuine freqent traveller to many Airports, who can make objective comparisons, unlike the everything about Thailand is sh*t brigade. I also go through a couple of dozen aiports every year and Swampy would be "above average".

Must admit though a few King Power Pie and Mushy pease trucks would make the place even better, not sure the people sitting around you on the plane would agree though:whistling:

It is worth noting that the majority of those lauding Swampy have made very few posts while more longer term posters tend to take a negative view. Support for the Reds shows a similar pattern. Would it be paranoia to contemplate that TOT is at work?

Having been in the tender care of Thai Airways for 11 hours after maybe enduring the hassle of getting to and passing through the machinations of the departing airport, you want me to grin like a Cheshire Cat? Get real. I'm tired and edgy as are most others, and this being Thailand, and I'm just waiting for something to go wrong. My experiences of the airport are less 'Welcome to Thailand' and more 'No, you are welcome to it.'

Could we not write off those who complain about shortcomings as 'whingers', but view them as pursuers of excellence? Without actions arising out of discontent we'd still be living in caves. The smug and easily satisfied should be thankful for the changes that us 'whingers' have brought about.

Due to the King Power monopoly, the choice of shops in Suvannaphumi is minimal and boring. AOT should open to other firms (see Singapore Changi, to name only one) to give passengers the opportunity to shop with a wide choice of brands and better seriousness.

Agreed, the Duty-Free shopping is one area, where Swampy needs to learn from Heathrow, which has a wide range of shops not all owned by the same 'friendly' operator. :ermm:

Would it hurt you to smile back? No, unless you have just had an abdominal operation.

Can't you find enough trouble in the world to complain about, without inventing it?

I think it's a great idea.......have any of you flown Aeroflot lately? If not I think you should, join the other poe faces.

Could not agree more, take the food court for instance all the vendors smile as they rip you off 500 bhat for two bowls of noodles and a coke, all the taxi touts smile as they try to rip you off, scam artists in king duty free smile after plantimg goods on you and accuse you of theft, the gunmen in the car park smile as they take your money, this really is an airport of smiles what are you guys moaning about ?

Could not agree more, take the food court for instance all the vendors smile as they rip you off 500 bhat for two bowls of noodles and a coke, all the taxi touts smile as they try to rip you off, scam artists in king duty free smile after plantimg goods on you and accuse you of theft, the gunmen in the car park smile as they take your money, this really is an airport of smiles what are you guys moaning about ?

If you choose to eat before you go air-side you can buy a reasonable Phat Kha Pow for B35 and a cup of coffee for B30. No mark up at all. Just go to the "Miracle" food court. Wait until you go air-side and you will be happily eating alongside so many other foreigners whilst the Thais do what they like to do. Touch expensive stuff....even if they can't afford it.

An international airport that doesn't even provide free WIFI for the hours of waiting,

can't put a smile on my face, sorry. :annoyed:

Even Low Cost Airports like the LCCC provide that these days, not to speak of top airports like Changi, Doha etc. where it is a standard service since years. :jap:

Once you've crossed immigration, you have free WiFi access (though you need to write down your name in a big log book, using pen and paper). This is not bad compared to the 10 minutes only that is provided in Paris.

I am not as a frequent traveler as I used to be, but on my list, Swampy is not that bad.

Now, spending the money on a smile campaign may not be the wisest choice: solve the problems, make the employee life easier/more enjoyable, and they will smile naturally.

I remember reading some study about the cashier at supermarket: forcing them to smile increase their stress, it's better to create a working environment where they are smiling naturally; it will benefit to every one.

You can sell that crap to people that know nothing about Thailand. ANYBODY that has lived here any length of time understands this is the "Land of Scams", not the "Land of Smiles", thus the comments herein.

Edited by Markaew

Thumbs up to you , yes they really are moaning old farts , I have flown in and out of BKK 6 or 7 times in the last year and compared to Singapore , Perth and a few other places it is way ahead in the food , service and pleasantry stakes . Even the immigration people are streets ahead , except for overstays , Some of you guys need to leave FANTASIA ( Thailand ) for an updated reality check on where to find some real <deleted> .

Edited by philhal2

On the one hand, there's nothing wrong with this kind of campaign. In fact, it's a good idea.

But on the other hand, I tire of the Thai obsessions with superficiality and things that aren't really very important. And, perhaps at the head of that list, is the obsession with putting a wonderful (and fake) best foot forward with tourists.

Meanwhile, the death toll in the southern provinces is way past the 4,000 mark, and that's not to mention those injured or the number of schools torched, and so forth. No matter what the crisis is, the biggest concern seems to be how it will affect tourism. The fact that scores of teacher and even monks (not to mention just every-day people) are dying, appears to be less important than whether people are smiling at the airport. And while I understand the importance of tourism dollars to Thailand's economy, the fact that tourism is more important to the Thais than widespread death and destruction is an immoral proposition. And, if things get really worse, and tourists start noticing and adding up the factors of the Red Shirt violence, southern violence, the cesspool of bribery and favoritism in the nation, sex tourism, pollution, and any number of other factors, in the long-run it could become an economic proposition, as well.

Thailand needs to clean up its act. The deeper you dig, the dirtier it gets.