Thai Couple Sentenced To 1,562 Years In Prison

webfact

You are deliberately being obtrusive so you can say 'government' bears the blaim instead of 'courts'?

You are quoting the segmentation of the government, the machine of the state, not that the 'government' as in 'the political party in charge' is to blame.

Maybe it is a language thing?

That is not being obtrusive, I am supporting my argument with facts. The courts are part of the government that is a fact.

I am not trying to blame anyone, it is a decision that was made by the courts. My personal view on whether is was a sound decision or not was never stated. If the decision requires review that would fall to the court of appeals which is still part of the government. Then the supreme court can review the finding from the court of appeals. It is a government body performing a government function, whichever political party is in majority has no bearing on this.

However, the poster blaming the 'government' earlier sounded much like other posters blaming the government (aka Abhisit) for any/many wrong-doings of other government agencies that the ministers have no rule over (or, shouldn't have direct rule over - separation of power).

Hence the objection.

Point taken. I can see how he appears to be biased against government. When I first read it it just seemed like he was making a joke about corruption.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to see the government making an example of poor people who steal. It won't be tolerated.

The sooner people realise that only politicians and police are allowed to steal the better.

RKIDLAD That is an utter gem.

However it's not only Thailand. I remember being shocked that the great train robbers in UK ( ok I'm OLD)

got longer sentences than murderers.

That's because it was armed robbery which can't be tolerated in any society! They're not walking into banks, trains, stations or warehouses with feather dusters they have shot guns, beat people down who don't comply instantly, make death threats and crap the life out of people and yes they often kill people when the shit hits the fan. This couple was armed with plastic cards and tapping digits into ATM machines, hardly comparable!

This is not correct. The participants of the Great Train Robbery in Britain 1963 were not armed.

I understand why they recieved so long penalty -as they should. They committed 1562 offences. And are sentenced for each. Why should they be given penalty-leniency just because they are efficient? (Partly they are given this anyway, as the cumulative prison-time cannot exceed 20 years.)

In Sweden we had some individuals from South America arresten for carrying out over 600(!) individual burglaries over a half year time, being able to gain tourist-Visa for an extended period. They received 2 years in prison, which isn't much longer than you would get for 2-3 burglaries. That is 1.2 days in prison per burglary. Now tell me, how is that fair to the victims?

wow I know they believe in reincarnation but still thats a hefty sentence for the crime commited.

Even 20 years is too much, but in the world it seems you mess with the money men and you're a gonner

20 years is not too much for the amount they stole.

It may be "heavy weight corporate – government- judicial corruption" but that isn't unique to Thailand. Look into the penalties applied in the Union Carbide Bhopal and Exxon Valdez incidents to see the masters at work.

Yes not new to Thailand, but atrocious and dangerous for all no matter what situation, meaning dangerous for what ever problem is at hand because the final verdict can be puppeteered and controlled at will..

Who knows, maybe wrong place, wrong time, wrongly accused, but still sent up the river.

The thing is, just like Union Carbide and Exxon, Corporations are always the same never truly changing, always heeding to the same company inner structure and dirty practices year in and time after time.

Nothing here truly changes except for incumbents or appointments to certain positions. Most always things are never reformed thus staying the norm for who ever or what ever wants to manipulate it, as in the court system fro whatever purposes wanted or needed by them. Maybe some times they have to give up and say Uncle, but rarely. Blame will then be put on someone if it gets too big of attention, and then that someone is put on inactive duty or moved to another sector or area to let silence come and then the situation is let to go to a quiet rest in most of all cases.

Out of sight, out of mind. No remembrance is the best Upper echelon Thai policy if it fits the scenario.. ..

To me, Thailand is almost like that of India being in a class cast system. But here there are differences like one can be educated (anybody can succeed if smart or genius enough), old family money, rich family new money, company position, but all in the end falls on upwardly work and position in society. All else that is below is or can be subjected to trampling at will. So money and domination matters, not human life, only unless you are in the right part of Thai society, the elite.

I still don’t think these two Thai’s had any superficial evidence against them, only railroaded from above powerful figures. Nothing more, nothing less

I am sure there will be some people who disagree, but then we all are entitled to our opinions, but a lot of mine has been based on fact from Big Thai people whom I know.

uncletom

"However, Retailink employee Sudawadi Rodmanee and her boyfriend, Shell petrol station employee Pathorn Chingduang, ended up getting just 20 years in jail because that is the maximum allowed by Thai law. The two, both 29, were also ordered to repay the firm Bt2.1 million at an annual interest rate of 7.5 per cent."

Tell me, who has spotted the big mistake.

(Put aside that money crimes are almost always treated more severely than violent acts against people or animals, that is almost standard across the world. To stop any bad replies, this is a general statement not fact. I for one believe that money can always be replaced, property damage can always be repaired or replaced, but human (or animal) injury and the commonly associated mental problems caused by violence are much harder to repair or replace. )

If these " dangerous criminals" are put away for 20 years, the I am assuming that their total earnings for that period will be a moderate Bt0. Then in 20 years they will have no skills, and almost zero chance of earning more than the dismal minimum wage (currently a generous Bt206 per 8 hour day), and will struggle to even put food in their own mouths let alone afford the other costs of life.

So how on earth do the courts believe in their wildest dreams that the Bt2.1 million can or could be paid. This court finding will be, inevitably, passed to the family, as the money must be paid back!!!!! (Remember money crimes are more serious that body damage crimes.) This money will be paid back by the family, and will probably leave the family destitute.

It is the family that loses here. Did anyone not see that?????

Well - it's proof of reincarnation right? they serve 11 lives each? (averaging 70 years a piece?) bit harsh

Five lives and a half.

A Problem Shared Is a Problem Halved

each - 11 years x 70 average years each = 770 x 2 = 1540 years? give or take? :blink:

Sorry to go askew of the OP, but I'd like to see harsh sentences for computer rip-offs. I just went through a heck of a week, dealing with some English rip-off (resides in England and transacts only in Pound Sterling). Name: Justin Wilkins. He somehow got a keystroke logger placed in my computer (viruses don't find them), and commenced to steal money and erase my five web sites. I'm almost back on track now, but it's been a harrowing 6 days. Someone like that could be stealing from dozens or hundreds of people who do things online. 50 years in the slammer would be appropriate for slime like that.

BTW, I found a good program (freeware) at flyos.net which finds and disables clandestine keystroke loggers - which are embedded in your computer and probably aren't noticed by your anti-virus software.

Edited by brahmburgers

It's good to see the government making an example of poor people who steal. It won't be tolerated.

The sooner people realise that only politicians and police are allowed to steal the better.

The courts are not the government...

Apparently you never heard of the judicial branch...

Apparently you have not? The judges are not fired and re-appointed whenever a government is elected. They are hired as any other civil servant employee.

The problem is you two are using different definitions of the word 'government'. TAWP is using the English meaning where it means the ruling party and Maswov is using the American meaning where there are three branches of government, legislative, executive, and judicial. Both right in your own definitions of the word.

Edited by jbsears

The courts are not the government...

Are you on the spliffs ???????

Definitely not in this time-zone, anyway, although both are pretty obtrusive (I think the word they are looking for, since they are arguing linguistics, is more likely to be obtuse)

And of course there was no trace of funds in or out of their banks they just carried it and testimonies were far more convincing than their attempts to defend it! Hearsay - he says she says - what a way to earn a 1500+ year sentence reduced to 20....

But then repayment and of course the interest that they can earn and repay from being inside a jail. What a stupid system and what a non news worthy article!

Sorry to go askew of the OP, but I'd like to see harsh sentences for computer rip-offs. I just went through a heck of a week, dealing with some English rip-off (resides in England and transacts only in Pound Sterling). Name: Justin Wilkins. He somehow got a keystroke logger placed in my computer (viruses don't find them), and commenced to steal money and erase my five web sites. I'm almost back on track now, but it's been a harrowing 6 days. Someone like that could be stealing from dozens or hundreds of people who do things online. 50 years in the slammer would be appropriate for slime like that.

BTW, I found a good program (freeware) at flyos.net which finds and disables clandestine keystroke loggers - which are embedded in your computer and probably aren't noticed by your anti-virus software.

Hi - went to the web site and could not find the keystroke logger software - just a program for file management?

Hi - went to the web site and could not find the keystroke logger software - just a program for file management?

That's odd. Same happened for me, though the software itself has the word flyos.net in big letters on it. Try googling 'keystroke logger'

QUOTE chmiroau: So how on earth do the courts believe in their wildest dreams that the Bt2.1 million can or could be paid. This court finding will be, inevitably, passed to the family, as the money must be paid back!!!!! (Remember money crimes are more serious that body damage crimes.) This money will be paid back by the family, and will probably leave the family destitute.

Dear chmiroau

Yes I had stated and written that the family will inevitably be SUBJECTED to the repayment and added 7.5% applied. Legally maybe cannot, but with underhanded pressure from: harming threats to the people in Jail or to family members, from pressure being put on local figures around them to shun them, or basically the sky is the limit for how they will get or extract the repayment through whatever (can’t be good) underhanded dirty pool measures/means that tickle their fancy to do. They enjoy the power dirty play.... And in the end, they look like the champion to all the other birds of the same feather.

My quote is below from an earlier post than yours.

Why I write about this topic, is that is disgusts me to the tee, and it stinks of undertones from great powerful hands who masquerade as the good people who were hurt.

All in all, sounds like we are on the same page.

QUOTE uncletom:

So this understandably could be the reason behind why the hammer may have came down so hard. Perhaps they are being made examples of, and perhaps it will spread to include both their family's and relatives as well when they can't pay the fines.Could this possibly be just another strong influence that has to be favored, listened, and followed to the tee by the prosecutors and judges alike? Or just a true appropriate imposed sentence and fine that is well deserved and matches everyone elses sentences and fines bei9ng fair across the board?

Scary.

uncletom

From May 31, 2006 to December 17, 2007,

the couple reportedly used cash cards issued to 29 employees

1,533 times to pocket a total of Bt2.1 million

This shows a long term pattern of the same crime over and over.

1,533 times over. No wonder they got the maximum for a single instance,

multiplied by the instances. That it is served concurrently vs consecutively is moot.

20 years is still a long sentence, and the announced total YEARS is a public

warning to others, and gets lots of press to put the word out.

This has been seen by some as a victimless crime, because no one sees the victim.

But that is not true and the 29 victims, and the bank employees dealing with it

wouldn't think so

Edited by animatic