Best Book For Thailand Travel?

gurnani

I will be in Thailand for some years. I haven't started visiting any of the tourist spots or places, but I plan to start doing it in weekends. What book do u suggest which covers all of Thailand in a very classified manner that I wouldn't miss a bit of it. I love photography and want to explore the country. Thanks

If you have a Thai friend, there are some great guide books in Thai. They cover the entire country in detail, covering a lot of stuff LP does not cover. I do love LP, but it is oriented towards backpackers...which is fine. You can also download the book if desired...

Travel here is so cheap and easy, no reason to share rides. Just go! Depending on where you end up, you will meet plenty of other travelers...

thanks. I think this book wud be available in siam paragon.

Does anyone know any websites for finding fellow travellers who cud share rides for visiting places.

The Thorntree forum is the LP forum that may be of interest to you. I used to use it but got turned off it when it got crowded out by too much advertising.

Does anyone know any websites for finding fellow travellers who cud share rides for visiting places.

The Thorntree forum is the LP forum that may be of interest to you. I used to use it but got turned off it when it got crowded out by too much advertising.

Good point. That forum is read by many, many, many travelers. Great source of info also...

Thanks man. I just registered at thorntree and exploring it.

Seems like it is aweosme/;.

Good point. That forum is read by many, many, many travelers. Great source of info also...

http://shop.lonelypl...travel-guide-13

This is one of the best guide books available at most good book shops.

this is certainly one of the most pathetic book you can get.

thanks god, I hail from a non-english-speaking country and have a larger choice of books to choose from.

the LP is as shallow as it gets, and places recommended by LP are best to be avoided, as all those LP-Zombies and Mutants will patronize them, which means, the standard of those places usually deteriorates rapidly.

as well, the most of the Maps are ludicrous and the quality of printing is lousy as is the binding.

GURNANI, if you are based in Bangkok, I would suggest to go to the KINOKUNIYA at Paragon which arguably is the biggest bookstore in the Kingdom with a giant selection of Traveling-material. Just spend an afternoon there and browse the books.

I can not recommend THIS book or THAT book, they all have their good and not-so-good characterisitics.

Just go to Kinokuniya yourself and make up your mind.

As you say you love photography, there are as well a lot of lovely illustrated books to be found (though not as much practical information as those dedicated travel-guides).

I own about 20 books about traveling in Thailand, and if you want a recommendation for a specific area, send me a PM

Check out Travelfish.org. Unlike the Lying Planet (I still use it occasionally for basic info), Travelfish is quite up to date. For relatively little money you can download travel guides as PDF-files to keep on a computer, phone or print out. Updating those kind of guides is just a lot faster than updating a printed travel guide, featuring outdated info by the time it goes into printing.

Actually those PDF-guides seems to be free now and they also have iPhone Apps. Been a while since I last checked out this site.

Edited by snorkelador

http://shop.lonelypl...travel-guide-13

This is one of the best guide books available at most good book shops.

this is certainly one of the most pathetic book you can get.

thanks god, I hail from a non-english-speaking country and have a larger choice of books to choose from.

the LP is as shallow as it gets, and places recommended by LP are best to be avoided, as all those LP-Zombies and Mutants will patronize them, which means, the standard of those places usually deteriorates rapidly.

as well, the most of the Maps are ludicrous and the quality of printing is lousy as is the binding.

GURNANI, if you are based in Bangkok, I would suggest to go to the KINOKUNIYA at Paragon which arguably is the biggest bookstore in the Kingdom with a giant selection of Traveling-material. Just spend an afternoon there and browse the books.

I can not recommend THIS book or THAT book, they all have their good and not-so-good characterisitics.

Just go to Kinokuniya yourself and make up your mind.

As you say you love photography, there are as well a lot of lovely illustrated books to be found (though not as much practical information as those dedicated travel-guides).

I own about 20 books about traveling in Thailand, and if you want a recommendation for a specific area, send me a PM

Thanks for the recommendations. A friend of mine just bought his first travel book for thailand as the lonely planet and he seems satisfied with it as I think this is his first travle book for thailand. Anyways, I am based in Bangkok and thans for suggesting me the paragon book store, I might go there this Weekend and try out some travelling material. :DD

Sure man, let me decide an area to explore first and sure, I would send u a PM. Thanks for the help though biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Check out Travelfish.org. Unlike the Lying Planet (I still use it occasionally for basic info), Travelfish is quite up to date. For relatively little money you can download travel guides as PDF-files to keep on a computer, phone or print out. Updating those kind of guides is just a lot faster than updating a printed travel guide, featuring outdated info by the time it goes into printing.

Actually those PDF-guides seems to be free now and they also have iPhone Apps. Been a while since I last checked out this site.

I cannot find any download travel guides option on the website travel fish. It though has a iphone apps section but unfortunately, I haven't got myself an iphone yet. COuld u help me with the download link if its cheap, I would like to buy it :D

Thanks

G

I cannot find any download travel guides option on the website travel fish. It though has a iphone apps section but unfortunately, I haven't got myself an iphone yet. COuld u help me with the download link if its cheap, I would like to buy it :D

Thanks

G

Thanks

G

Downloads for LP are widely available. Just search around. They are on the bit torrent sites. I like this as many times I just want a particular city and don't really want the entire book. Plus, it fits on my netbook and I can print out what maps I need. I have a library full of LP books, as well as many others. LP, as with the others, are good for one country, but suck for another. That Thorntree forum lays all that out fairly well also...

Thanks

G

If you click on the "Free Guides" button just next to the "iPhone Apps" Button, it will give you more info. They used to sell those guides for few dollar before, but now they appear to be free of charge.

The main info right from the website:

So how do I make me some guides?

Login and go to the Member Centre. You'll see the Free Guide section in the left column and you should be able to figure it out from there.

thanks

snorkelador and craigt

I will try torrent websites as soon as I get access to them. and yes, for travelfish, just one word for the reccomendation.

Awesome!!

I am building the guides for me and I hope, it gives great and well pick informations.

I went to Ko Ch-aam and Hua Hin last weekend following the LP recommendations and yes, about 80% of the stuff was true. I hope to try other place using travelfish guides this time. And yeah, Thailand is a lot of fun!!!

I, personally , am not a fan of Lonely Planet but they are well recomended. Perhaps you can visit yr local library and get some DVD's for a general feel of the contry- i enjoy Rough guides as entertainment. I also have found doing a bit of research using a combination of sites works best for me - Googgle maps, Trip Adviser, Wiki, , and reading forums like Thai Visa etc. .It will all come together for you.

Try this one also. Great for island and beach info. Teeza is a regular poster on the Thailand forum on LP ThornTree. Great guy.

http://tezza-thailan...s.blogspot.com/

even this has a lot of stuff to read. Thanks again. anyways, I tried out travelfish.org and tried to build the pdf. But everytime, it doesn't get through, and the general error occurs, saying "the page can not be displayed"

I tried for ko- ch-aam but it doesn't build one. Could you try from your side and tell me if its working or not?

Xen, yeah...it would slowly come but if I visit a place and miss even a small exciting part, it sucks for me, hence I am try to do some homework before": d thanks anyways

Edited by gurnani