Police And Navy Badges And Signs On Cars.

Richb2004v2

I often see yellow/gold badges on the front grills of cars and wonder if they are police, and if so are they higher position police or just run of the mill beat police? Also I used to see cars with signs saying 'police' or sometimes 'Navy'. Are they actually police and navy or can anyone stick those signs on their cars? Actually I don't seem to see that so much anymore. Quite often I see the yellow badges on the grill as they are a couple of feet behind my car trying to push me off the road. I expect they must be heading to a big emergency as I'm sure they wouldn't drive like that otherwise :rolleyes: .

If you work for the government you can get a gold star for the front of your car. You don't need to be a police man to have them, however you can buy them on the black market but you are in trouble if you are stopped and are not entitled to one.

Considering were you live Rich..... Real Navy & army vehicles are the norm in that area....:rolleyes:

So one may conclude they may in fact be real, and putting fake ones on your car may not be the smartest thing to do driving around Ban Chang and Sattahip....:whistling:

Up country, those window stickers are popular. Big Army and Airforce base in town though so I suspect its mostly legit. Of course family members drive the "official" car as though they were indeed the official. It's not like back home where police chase cars with blues and twos, so whats the fuss?

I know a farang who was stopped at a road block and asked why his car has the gold star on the front. He said honestly it was there where he bought it from the officer. Nothing more was said on the matter.

On a related note, have you noticed how nobody clears a path for emergency vehicles here? In England if you see blues and hear twos you clear out no matter where. If it means pushing out into a red light, you do it. if it means squeezing onto the curb, you do it. It is assumed that there is indeed an emergency. and for an Ambulance the path clears double quick. I imagine many folk might somewhat selfishly think, "there but for the grace of G-o-d go I". But they move!

Here its just NOT the same. Ambulances routinely ignored. Police? NEVER heard a siren. Rescue people? blues and twos all day long, even to the nearest 7/11. I think this might be linked to the public response... :huh:

Yeah, my wife told me today that the yellow badges are for government officials. What is the advantage incurred by having one I wonder? People do what ever they want on the roads anyway, so I don't understand what the benefits can be. The same goes for the 'Navy' signs. Are people supposed to pull out of their path and respect them or something?

Reminds me of back in the US, people use to put police stickers on their cars which they got after donating to their charity. Use to see them all the time....but the cops got wise and they don't mean a thing now. But here in Thailand, they get noticed and are a big deal. Have one from a general on your car, and you zip right through any police road block. Kinda sad...but TIT!

Sometimes, even parking guards wear an orange vest with the word "POLICE" prominently featured, although they are certainly not police (e.g. at Central Chidlom on Ploenchit Road).

But then the Police uses vests with the sign "PANASONIC" in big letters.

So who is fooling whom here?

It was my understanding that orange lights on cars are not official and can be used by (almost) anybody. The official colors for emergency lights are red or blue.

A question I always asked myself is: Do I have to follow "orders" of parking guards? I mostly do, but what if I ignore them? Do they have some sort of official authority to tell where and when to drive on public roads? Or could they be charged with impersonating a police officer?

Yeah, my wife told me today that the yellow badges are for government officials. What is the advantage incurred by having one I wonder? People do what ever they want on the roads anyway, so I don't understand what the benefits can be. The same goes for the 'Navy' signs. Are people supposed to pull out of their path and respect them or something?

They indicate to the attending police officer in the event of an accident who is to blame.

A question I always asked myself is: Do I have to follow "orders" of parking guards? I mostly do, but what if I ignore them? Do they have some sort of official authority to tell where and when to drive on public roads? Or could they be charged with impersonating a police officer?

These hired Security Guards have absolutely no authority at all; in fact it can be dangerous to pay to much attention to their "instructions" without checking the situation yourself. Many Thais routinely ignore them completely, refusing to take notice of someone who is on the lowest rungs of Thai society, so if the guard attempts to, say, stop them and waves you through you may easily have an accident because you are expecting the guards' signals to be obeyed by the other driver.

Patrick

Almost any numskull that gets a job as security or car park attendant automatically think they are Police and often wear child like Police jackets and a silly badge, nothing like dressing up like Deputy Dawg to inflate ones ego. :rolleyes:

Here its just NOT the same. Ambulances routinely ignored. Police? NEVER heard a siren. Rescue people? blues and twos all day long, even to the nearest 7/11. I think this might be linked to the public response... :huh:

I believe you can tell the state of mind of the community by looking at they way people drive, in Pattaya for example no one gives a toss about anyone but themselves.

I believe you can tell the state of mind of the community by looking at they way people drive, in Pattaya for example no one gives a toss about anyone but themselves.

And the farang are some of the worst drivers I have seen here....

Are you sure about that?

Are you sure about that?

Absolutely. Watch the farang scooter drivers. At least as bad as the "bad" Thai drivers. There are plenty of good Thai drivers...unfortunately, quite a few bad ones.

But like has been mentioned before, we've got it good here. Try India, China, Egypt...or for that matter, LA, Boston or NYC. Boston is really tough!

Are you sure about that?

I agree. OK, I am not often in Pattaya, but in my somewhat limited experience the worst driver are farang, especially the motorbike drivers, no helmet, no respect for traffic rules, like under the influence (of ya ba ?).

During my last trip to in Pattaya I saw 3 accidents where farangs with no helmet were involved. Of course, they may be the the innocent victims, but more than likely a crazy overtaking maneuver was the reason.

PS: I live in Bangkok and here you don't see many motorbike driver without helmet anymore. Only a few farangs in my Moo Baan still prefer the high risk ride.

Many Thais routinely ignore them completely, refusing to take notice of someone who is on the lowest rungs of Thai society, so if the guard attempts to, say, stop them and waves you through you may easily have an accident because you are expecting the guards' signals to be obeyed by the other driver.

Lowest rung of society? What an awfully cruel way of describing people who work plus 12 hour shifts, contend with sun and fumes, and earn an absolute pittance and struggle making ends meet. Many men would turn to crime in that situation.

Many Thais routinely ignore them completely, refusing to take notice of someone who is on the lowest rungs of Thai society, so if the guard attempts to, say, stop them and waves you through you may easily have an accident because you are expecting the guards' signals to be obeyed by the other driver.

Lowest rung of society? What an awfully cruel way of describing people who work plus 12 hour shifts, contend with sun and fumes, and earn an absolute pittance and struggle making ends meet. Many men would turn to crime in that situation.

:clap2: Now that gave me a good laugh.

Don't see how you can say farangs are worse, don't you think farangs just drive the same as they do in farang land, which is much faster and vehicles are much closer in traffic or motorway driving. When l first came here my mrs thought l was a nutter the way l drove until we went to UK then she saw the difference.

As for helmets, as a 60's Mod we didn't wear helmets until the law insisted. :) Sorry :offtopic2:

Are you joking? Are you seriously saying that people in the Uk drive closer on motorways than Thais in Thailand? Either you spend very little time in Thailand or very little time in the Uk, or both. Every single journey I make in Thailand includes at some point a Thai driver six feet from my bumper trying to edge me out of the way, regardless of my speed or position on the road. I can't remember the last time this happened to me in the Uk. In fact if might never have happened as far as I remember.

Don't see how you can say farangs are worse, don't you think farangs just drive the same as they do in farang land, which is much faster and vehicles are much closer in traffic or motorway driving. When l first came here my mrs thought l was a nutter the way l drove until we went to UK then she saw the difference.

As for helmets, as a 60's Mod we didn't wear helmets until the law insisted. :) Sorry :offtopic2:

Are you joking? Are you seriously saying that people in the Uk drive closer on motorways than Thais in Thailand? Either you spend very little time in Thailand or very little time in the Uk, or both. Every single journey I make in Thailand includes at some point a Thai driver six feet from my bumper trying to edge me out of the way, regardless of my speed or position on the road. I can't remember the last time this happened to me in the Uk. In fact if might never have happened as far as I remember.

6 feet, try 6 inches!

Agreed. Driving in the UK a few months ago was a shock to me, not having done it for a while. There is so much respect and friendliness. Yes of course the road rage thing always gets good media coverage and it does happen, but it is the freak rather than the norm.

Here i can't drive for more than five minutes without having some wally within millimetres of my rear bumper.

Agreed. Driving in the UK a few months ago was a shock to me, not having done it for a while. There is so much respect and friendliness. Yes of course the road rage thing always gets good media coverage and it does happen, but it is the freak rather than the norm.

Here i can't drive for more than five minutes without having some wally within millimetres of my rear bumper.

Yeah, I don't get it. Like being on your ass will make you move faster. I did a "brake test" the other day on a new BMW who was so close he could have been in my back seat! I know it's not smart to do, but did he back up...big time.

Yeah, I don't get it. Like being on your ass will make you move faster. I did a "brake test" the other day on a new BMW who was so close he could have been in my back seat! I know it's not smart to do, but did he back up...big time.

Brake testing is sorely tempting, but could end in tears, so it's a temptation i try and resist.

What really amazes me is those who fly up to your bumper, and then proceed to flash you to get out of their way, when the highway is bunched up in every lane. Short of vaporising, it is quite impossible to get out of their way, if one actually wished to.

Brake testing is sorely tempting, but could end in tears, so it's a temptation i try and resist.

What really amazes me is those who fly up to your bumper, and then proceed to flash you to get out of their way, when the highway is bunched up in every lane. Short of vaporising, it is quite impossible to get out of their way, if one actually wished to.

Yea, I know it is really stupid...but sometimes they just drive ya crazy. If they can't pass on the right, even with oncoming traffic, they go to the shoulder...unreal. :annoyed: