How Can I Avoid Glare?

Puccini

On a short hike today with a friend we stopped at a grotto for a drink and a grasshopper took an interest in my smartphone:

med_gallery_88861_1382_124959.jpg

My digital camera is nothing special, a Canon IXUS 75, but just the same I feel that I should be able to avoid the glare on the screen, ie the spots on the front left and right corners of the screen. Would putting a shadow on on the scene being photographed be a solution? The EXIF information can be viewed here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/gallery/image/13417-grasshopper-inspects-smartphone/#meta

What you might have are reflections of clouds in the sky. The shiny and curved surfaces of modern cameras and mobile devices act like mirrors. Changing the camera angle --higher or lower--might help, but then that changes everything else. Or you might try to incorporate the reflections into image. A good shot, nevertheless.

Edited by canuck1941

Thank you all. I did first take a shot with the sun at my back, throwing my shadow on the phone, but this photo did not show clearly enough the grasshopper licking my phone and therefore I moved to the other side of the table for a second shot.

med_gallery_88861_1382_55945.jpg

• 2 weeks later...