Visa Run Cm To Vientiane Oct. 25 ... Brief Report ...

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

Note: while I anticipate the mods may well re-locate this to the main Visa forum, I'm posting it here in the belief that this will be of direct interest to CM members, at least for a while.

1. Bus from Arcade Bus Station via Chakrapong Monday night 8PM to Udon Thani. Yes ! Chakrapong has upgraded their VIP buses as commented on here on this forum before.

2. Udon Thani: was lucky and found other farangs on the way to the border, and organized a private taxi pool direct to the Friendship Bridge. Thus saving the nasty little bus ride into Nongkhai followed by whatever to the Bridge ... for only a few baht more.

3. Arrive Thai Consular Services building Vientiane, before noon. About 120 people ahead of me in the number queue to submit applications. Photo and copy service available on floor two of that main building if you forgot you need two photos, or copies, etc.

4. Documents submitted around 2:30PM. Usual queue jumpers, usual calling of numbers out of order :) TIT.

5. A new twist (since April) : after submitting the documents: you now take the same number, and go inside the second building (where you pick up your visa the next day): and wait again for your number to be called to be handed the receipt that lets you pick up your passport the next day beginning 1PM.

6. Another new twist (since April) : when you come back to pick up your passport and visa the next day beginning 1PM, you go into the second building again, but do not wait until your number is called, but just get in a queue. Even though they appear to be calling numbers, it was obvious they were handing out the passports to whoever was in the queue first. Usual devious queue jumpers.

7. Stayed at the Mekong Sunshine Hotel again: recommend. Nice people, clean room, air con powerful, tv includes HBO, CNN. Breakfast included. Free internet. Your mileage may vary. Power outages not uncommon. No elevator; suggest you stay on an upper floor, however. Very few guests in the hotel while there.

8. Vientiane to Udon Thani:

a. once again organized a posse, and we pooled for a nice air-con car to the Friendship Bridge. Once out on the Thai side, pooled again for car to Nongkhai bus station (my travelling friends were headed to Bangkok).

b. yes, you do have the option, passport with valid visa in hand, to take the bus direct from the station in Vientiane (across from the morning market, "Talat Sao") to Nongkhai, but our experience is that bus is hot, sweaty, standing room only.

9. returned Chiang Mai via:

a. bus from NongKhai Bus Station to UT: large bus with good air-con, 35 baht, departed Nongkhai 5:15PM.

b. tuk-tuk from Nongkhai Bus Station to where VIP buses (Chakrapong and Oosuksatour) leave for Chiang Mai. Arrived with forty minutes to spare for 8PM departure, in time to get some lad na noodles with egg down the gullet.

c. Oosuksatour VIP back to CM

best, ~o:37;

2. Udon Thani: was lucky and found other farangs on the way to the border, and organized a private taxi pool direct to the Friendship Bridge. Thus saving the nasty little bus ride into Nongkhai followed by whatever to the Bridge ... for only a few baht more.

If you go on Owsuksa's VIP bus they stop a little before Udon and advise you take a songthew to the bridge for about 140 baht that is waiting there. It is really convenient.

Good Morning Kn Orang37

In reading your post, I see you left Monday 8pm and your return daate/time was....??

Care to give us a total cost for the adventure.

Would be interested is seeing how the cost, time, convenience, etc stacks up re the visa run CM to KL with Air Asia.

Thanks

Gonzo

I've heard from others who have used it, there is a direct bus from Udorn bus station all the way to the Vientiane bus station. (I did check at the Vientiane station, and the buses are clearly marked as such.) Taking this bus minimizes the hassle of switching all kinds of conveyance between the two cities. Has anybody in this forum taken this bus?

Also, what kind of music or videos or other supposed entertainment was there on the bus between Chiang Mai and Udorn Thani? Though I don't know about the forced entertainment, I've been told that the bus is very comfortable. The last time I went, I took a minivan which was a bit too cramped for the 12-hour ride to Nong Khai.

Great Post Orang!

There is an International Bus from the Udon Thani bus station close to Robinsons/ Central shopping plaza - Vientiane

You must already have a Laos Visa to get on the bus

You can take the same International Bus back from Vientiane to Udon Thani

There are assigned seats so you get a seat

Edited by PlanetX

If you go on Owsuksa's VIP bus they stop a little before Udon and advise you take a songthew to the bridge for about 140 baht that is waiting there. It is really convenient.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun UG,

Yes, did take that roadside songthaew off Oosuksatour once direct to the bridge: it was crammed to the gills, and could hardly breathe. Your mileage may vary.

In reading your post, I see you left Monday 8pm and your return daate/time was....?? Care to give us a total cost for the adventure. Would be interested is seeing how the cost, time, convenience, etc stacks up re the visa run CM to KL with Air Asia.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Gonzo the Face,

Sure: returned Chiang Mai around 8am Thursday: note that was why I took Chakrapong down and Oosuksatour back (since they run alternate days). Also keep in mind that if there is any delay in Vientiane, that requires you to stay an extra day, then you've just lost the price of a bus ticket, and have to buy another one ... if available on arrival UT.

Total cost:

Round trip bus CM<=>UT about 12xx baht ?

Miscellaneous shared car rentals : about 300 baht including: UT to Bridge: exit Bridge on Laos side to Thai Consular services in Vientiane: carpool to Bridge from V.: carpool from Thai side of Bridge to Nongkhai. Bus to UT : 35 baht. Miscellaneous tuk-tuk rides: 200 baht or so

Hotel: 800 baht. Free water, free breakfast.

Food: living on soy milk is cheap :) Had no solid food while in Laos the entire time. 60 baht ? Total cost of all food and water and a few iced coffees in Vientiane: maybe 180 baht ? But that includes three sessions in internet cafe of thirty minutes or so while drinking said beverage. Lad Na noodles in UT: 30 baht.

Double-entry tourist visa: no charge.

Can't compare at all to trip to KL since haven't been to KL in seven years. Can't imagine CM to KL by bus, however ! :) And, of course, I am unaware of what types of visas KL is now issuing.

Essential for travel, ioho: sleep mask, ear-plugs, heavy fleece lined pull over parka with hood and scarf for the ice-cold buses. Folded up straw farmer's hat against sun.

Note: my Happy DTAC Thai simm would not work on the Laos side, and I could find no shop in the morning market (Talat Sao) where I could top it up. So bought a cheap one-time Laos simm to use for a few essential calls.

Edited by orang37

I've heard from others who have used it, there is a direct bus from Udorn bus station all the way to the Vientiane bus station. (I did check at the Vientiane station, and the buses are clearly marked as such.) Taking this bus minimizes the hassle of switching all kinds of conveyance between the two cities. Has anybody in this forum taken this bus?

Also, what kind of music or videos or other supposed entertainment was there on the bus between Chiang Mai and Udorn Thani? Though I don't know about the forced entertainment, I've been told that the bus is very comfortable. The last time I went, I took a minivan which was a bit too cramped for the 12-hour ride to Nong Khai.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun MrBrad,

As others have already commented, that direct bus UT to Vientiane requires a pre-approved Laos Visa.

Entertainment on bus CM=>UT : usual nighmarish violent (English) movie which sleep mask, and ear-plugs, plus parka hood pulled over head, plus meditation, effectively blocked.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun UG,

Yes, did take that roadside songthaew off Oosuksatour once direct to the bridge: it was crammed to the gills, and could hardly breathe. Your mileage may vary.

Mine was full, but not uncomfortably so. :)

I have a multiple entry visa for Thailand. Would I have to go through all that to get my reentry card or exit card what ever it is called. I have a retired visa so it is not necessary to leave the country but I have heard it is a pleasant place to visit.

I have a multiple entry visa for Thailand. Would I have to go through all that to get my reentry card or exit card what ever it is called. I have a retired visa so it is not necessary to leave the country but I have heard it is a pleasant place to visit.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun JayJay0,

For that kind of more complex question may we suggest you re-post on the main TV visa forum where real "immigration gurus," like Lopburi3, hang out, and are usually very responsive.

If you have the Multiple entry visa and hold a extension of stay I am not sure what the case is, it would be best to post in the visa section here as already mentioned.