Plastic On Sausage

CMX

I have searched for mention of the plastic - if that is what it is - that encases so many of the small tasteless and finely ground (my least favorite) meat that I purchase for a dog that needs 7 pills a day right now. Using the search function, I have traveled among those hungering for the best sausages in CM, to be all but immersed in the grease, but these clear plasticized coverings are not mentioned, or else I missed the mention.

(As I never know what is in hot dogs, frankfurters, or sausage - ground meats in general - I rarely take them. My arteries need fat as much as I need a car without a scratch in it for driving in BKK - less, in fact.)

But what is this cellophane type covering I find on these things? The stuff inside seems to have casings anyway. Can dogs be offered them safely, with the plastic still over the casing? I'm tired of cutting them away. Sorry if there is an obvious answer, but I'm usually oblivious anyway.

Edited by CMX

I gave up trying to cut them off. When I do eat a Thai dog I just eat the whole thing, plastic or skin and all. PS Thais have no clue on how to make a hot dog.

Is that a Bangkaew or a Ridgeback? bah.gif

Hey welcome back. Hiding?:whistling:

Yep, been hiding in dark places in Bangkok. wink.gif

PS. The rail link from swampy to Phayatai (15B) is a bargain and then 25B BTS to Nana.

Edited by uptheos

I gave up trying to cut them off. When I do eat a Thai dog I just eat the whole thing, plastic or skin and all. PS Thais have no clue on how to make a hot dog.

Is that a Bangkaew or a Ridgeback? bah.gif

Hey welcome back. Hiding?:whistling:

Yep, been hiding in dark places in Bangkok. wink.gif

PS. The rail link from swampy to Phayatai (15B) is a bargain and then 25B BTS to Nana.

Did you say Nana as in NEP??:lol:

Maybe the additional plastic wrap helps prolong shelf life, what with the vagaries of refrigeration in the supply chain?

I just bought some Giraud Farms sausage at Rimping the other day-Pork and Sage, 190 B for 500g.

Relatively high end product for here. Proper casings, but yeah wrapped in the plastic also.

I have no idea how many people are not aware of this, and cook these plastic and all....:o

Should have a warning label for those not familiar with this practice.:ph34r:

when i was a kids , i almost got choke not knowing that the hotdog i ate had a plastic wrap on it . ever since that i do not really like sausage

i seen some kinda discover channel showing how the meat is pump into plastic tubing . till now i still do not really lik ethe idea of eating plastic .

anyway i am sure our sausageKing can give more answer to this thread

so is best we wait and see

who other then the sausageking himself know more about sausage

when i was a kids , i almost got choke not knowing that the hotdog i ate had a plastic wrap on it . ever since that i do not really like sausage

i seen some kinda discover channel showing how the meat is pump into plastic tubing . till now i still do not really lik ethe idea of eating plastic .

A lot of sausage company's use collagen casings which you can eat but not for me. sometimes company's use a plastic casing that you should not eaten, natural casing are the best from sheep or pig. We use natural casings as they are the original way to make a traditional sausage. Rob/sk

Thanks to all.

I gather that the plastic casing is plastic, and that its purpose may be related to shelf-life.

That is is inedible (sick dog has respiration infection, so no plastic!). Some people eat them anyway.

A CP brand at 7-11 is without them (useful! - if these treatments continue).

And that Thais (generally and so far, I'm thinking) can't make sausage <let me add that tons of U.S. "hot dogs" deserve to be covered in country mustard, relish, and even more raw onion than "hot dog." Or ketchup, very salty.

Edited by CMX

A lot of sausage company's use collagen casings which you can eat but not for me. sometimes company's use a plastic casing that you should not eaten, natural casing are the best from sheep or pig. We use natural casings as they are the original way to make a traditional sausage. Rob/sk

I had some of your sausages this morning and had to use a steak knife to cut the sausage because of the tough casing.....

Bump I'm intereste dto hear the response, I hope to sample some of SausageKing products next month.

I had some of your sausages this morning and had to use a steak knife to cut the sausage because of the tough casing.....

Bump I'm intereste dto hear the response, I hope to sample some of SausageKing products next month.

Maybe you are too used to eating with a spoon and fork.

Yep, nice sausages and I'd probably eat them everyday if the casings weren't so tough. Currently onto Yorkies ;)

On the other stuff, op, the best way to get the plastic off is to boil them for a minute, after which you can throw them straight in the bin. :bah:

Edited by jackr

jackr,

Thanks for the suggestion, but do I have the right understanding?

Throw the plastic into the bin, or the whole thing?

Do you realize that you've now got me boiling little Thai sausages made of whatever in order to disguise pills from a sick dog? I can cut the casings off more easily, I think, and not burn my fingers when inserting the tablets. Then there's cleaning the pan.

Edited by CMX

Maybe the additional plastic wrap helps prolong shelf life, what with the vagaries of refrigeration in the supply chain?

I just bought some Giraud Farms sausage at Rimping the other day-Pork and Sage, 190 B for 500g.

Relatively high end product for here. Proper casings, but yeah wrapped in the plastic also.

I have no idea how many people are not aware of this, and cook these plastic and all....:o

Should have a warning label for those not familiar with this practice.:ph34r:

Yes,,,I wondered about this 'outer clingfilm' wrapping. Fist time I had not noticed it and just fried them in the normal way.After cooking the outer wrap had shriveled and was easily removed....then to my surprise I found the usual skin on the sausage.

Cant realy see any reason for it though,apart from ....as has been suggested...it helps with shelf life.

I do remember that some time ago the 'Jabberwocky Yatch Club sausages were clingfilmed.

• 11 years later...

I got super hungry at 3am.. I had picked up some new random sausages from a local thai village, I made a sammich, bit down on said sammich, fought my way through what I just felt was a particularly chewy sausage. Nope.. Covered in Plastic..  Am I going to die? 

11 minutes ago, Lost in Asia said:

I got super hungry at 3am.. I had picked up some new random sausages from a local thai village, I made a sammich, bit down on said sammich, fought my way through what I just felt was a particularly chewy sausage. Nope.. Covered in Plastic..  Am I going to die? 

Yes.  Eating the plastic does not cause immortality, despite what you may have heard.

• Haha 1