Mobile Sat Nav

kenny999

i use garmin, i have a street pilot and a 1390T with Thai map from ESRI

Look in the GPS tread

http://www.gadgetrend.com/

Did you buy here in Phuket if so where? how much?

Ah just seen Phuket boat Marina

nuvi 1250 3.5" screen with Junction View- Thai OS This one looks like just what I want and a good price at 5900 reduced from over 7000. thanks for the link

GPS navi is only as good as the maps.. Garmin have been here years and are on version 10 of their system and as such are highly reccomended..

I had all alpine stuff in europe and it was excellent kit, fully integrated to phones, music, etc, but not having used the mapping I would be wary.

GPS navi is only as good as the maps.. Garmin have been here years and are on version 10 of their system and as such are highly reccomended..

I had all alpine stuff in europe and it was excellent kit, fully integrated to phones, music, etc, but not having used the mapping I would be wary.

I just want to know where to buy the Garman Nuvi please do not start getting all technical again.

That was technical ?? From the OP I thought you wanted alpine ??

to find.eaglegps has a good rep.. forum sponsor so easy .

No that was not technical but I know where it was going, and I said I saw alpine I did not say I wanted to buy Alpine,

Sorry do not understand eaglegps... forum easy to find?

BTW.. Its not really useful on Phuket.. But if doing longer distance and visiting bangkok the junction view / lane assist is a really nice feature.. All to easy to be on the right road but wrong lane to miss a turn.

My model doesnt do that and I will probably upgrade the car one for it.

See the GPS sub forum on here ?? See the forum sponsor for that forum ?? Thats eaglegps.

http://www.eaglegps.co.th

Just reduced pricing on 2 common models too.. Both pretty good prices for Thailand.

Yes just had a quick look at the web site, can you tell me where to go to see and buy the Garman Nuvi as this is in my price range,

They mail order all over Thailand.. I dont know of any decent sellers on the island (are there any ??) theres a few 'stalls' in the malls but every time its old hardware, no support, and much higher pricing than eagle or gadget trend. Its one of those 'off island' needs IMO, so mail order it.

Both companies offer support for map updates and the like, all fairly simple so only basic PC literacy needed.

They mail order all over Thailand.. I dont know of any decent sellers on the island (are there any ??) theres a few 'stalls' in the malls but every time its old hardware, no support, and much higher pricing than eagle or gadget trend. Its one of those 'off island' needs IMO, so mail order it.

Both companies offer support for map updates and the like, all fairly simple so only basic PC literacy needed.

There is a place called Gadgetrend which is inside the Phuket boat lagoon,

would you know how to get there, I thought it was the same place as the Royal Phuket marina but apparently it is a different place

Boat lagoon is next door to the RPM isnt it ?? Same entrance ?? Actually IIRC theres 2 entrances for the marina bits for 2 different moorings.. But the more northern side of the RPM then.

Didnt know gadget trend were on Phuket, certainly they dont seem to list that on their website, is it a 'marina centric' one or full automotive ??

would you know how to get there, I thought it was the same place as the Royal Phuket marina but apparently it is a different place

I bought my Garmin Nuvi in Central. Up on the 1st floor, and if you're facing the entrance to the Sony store, it's on the left right in the corner. It mainly sells mobiles, but had Garmin also. They will download the latest software, and set the language for you also.

Gadgetrend is in BKK, i bought my first Garmin from them, that time i paid 49K so they have come a bit down in price :) i would get one with a big screen like 4"++. Even Garmin map 10 have its fault in Phuket, most of the time i am better in Phuket town, and i am not that good, hate Phuket town.

Garmin have a very good service, on my street pilot i have never paid for upgrade, the one i bought now comes with lifetime upgrade, but only for EU map. i will say the 1390T is a very good GPS and works perfect

Gadgetrend is in BKK, i bought my first Garmin from them, that time i paid 49K so they have come a bit down in price :) i would get one with a big screen like 4"++. Even Garmin map 10 have its fault in Phuket, most of the time i am better in Phuket town, and i am not that good, hate Phuket town.

Garmin have a very good service, on my street pilot i have never paid for upgrade, the one i bought now comes with lifetime upgrade, but only for EU map. i will say the 1390T is a very good GPS and works perfect

Just bought the Garmin 205W not very good with these gadgets, bloody thing keeps saying address not recognised, all instructions are in TRhai but have found english on there web site still confusing

I have set the language to American/English but when I enter all cities they appear in Thai, what am I doing wrong grrrrrr

The legit maps should have both Thai and english mapsets, but copy maps posted online sometimes get packed in one language or another. Try looking under settings, maps, and seeing if you have 2 mapsets one eng one Thai.

Unfortunately the issue is one that even being in english doesnt help. I find map lookups of address very difficult due to transliteration so much so it almost never works for me beyond 'town'.. Things like Jomtien being Jomten Jomtian Chom Tien etc etc.. If I did it with Thai script I am sure it would be more certain but I dont. I dont understand why they dont encode the postcode like a 'western' mapset would as your cant get those 5 digits so wrong in translation.

I tend to use local hotels, or local POI's or a google earth lookup to get my destination points.

I have set the language to American/English but when I enter all cities they appear in Thai, what am I doing wrong grrrrrr

The legit maps should have both Thai and english mapsets, but copy maps posted online sometimes get packed in one language or another. Try looking under settings, maps, and seeing if you have 2 mapsets one eng one Thai.

Unfortunately the issue is one that even being in english doesnt help. I find map lookups of address very difficult due to transliteration so much so it almost never works for me beyond 'town'.. Things like Jomtien being Jomten Jomtian Chom Tien etc etc.. If I did it with Thai script I am sure it would be more certain but I dont. I dont understand why they dont encode the postcode like a 'western' mapset would as your cant get those 5 digits so wrong in translation.

I tend to use local hotels, or local POI's or a google earth lookup to get my destination points.

Off to Central to see if someone can explain, I have set everything as it says but all the cities come up in Thai not a lot of good to me like that.

I dont understand why they dont encode the postcode like a 'western' mapset would as your cant get those 5 digits so wrong in translation.

Would be easier but Thai postcodes seem to cover very large areas, entire districts even, so it might not narrow the target down much.

I bought my Garmin Nuvi in Central. Up on the 1st floor, and if you're facing the entrance to the Sony store, it's on the left right in the corner. It mainly sells mobiles, but had Garmin also. They will download the latest software, and set the language for you also.

Just been to the shop next to Sony center, I need to download the English version, take back tomorrow and he will do for 400bht I have the disc but if I try and do it I am bound to bugger it up.

Make sure your getting a legit / licensed english version.. Cos 400 baht doesnt sound like it.. And you should have included with the unit if from reputable sellers like gadget trend.

The map is on the Garmin disc that came with the unit, the shop is just going to load it on for me, so yes it is a valid map

Make sure your getting a legit / licensed english version.. Cos 400 baht doesnt sound like it.. And you should have included with the unit if from reputable sellers like gadget trend.

The map is on the Garmin disc that came with the unit, the shop is just going to load it on for me, so yes it is a valid map

If I want to down load the map from the Garmin disc, isert the disc then right click on the map then click on send to the Garmin unit, is that correct or will it be better taking it to the shop.

Depends on what you have..

The map handling is properly done by the garmin mapsource application.. You install mapsource.. Install the map pack.. Unlock the map.. Then with the PC connected to the unit send the map to the unit (space permitting etc)..

With the hacked map packs they often come in easy to install gmappsup.img files, in which case you just stick them in the /garmin/ folder on the unit, while it acts as a usb drive (usually a setting on the unit itself).

As I mentioned, looking up addresses isnt so simple I find, so you get a hel_l of a lot more use out of a gps if you learn how to use it in tandem with the PC.. How to add and edit waypoints, how to convert garmin files to google earth / google map files and vice versa. Yes its technical, but its how to get the most help from it.