Exporting Second Hand Car From Uk To Thailand

Hi

I am thinking of transporting my toyota celica to chaing mai when i move there in october

i have a shipping quote but what TAX whould i be liable for

is it better to buy new over there

if so

what are best car buys

Checked that site out. The calculations seem to be a little complicated. I looked at the example they note on the bottom of the page:

"Example Calculation of Taxes and Duties

The following example shows a breakdown of the liable taxes and duties assessed on the vehicles less than 2400 c.c. cylinder capacity with a CIF value (CIF value (Cost & Insurance & Freight) of 1,000,000 Baht.

Total taxes and duties = 1+2+3+5 = 2,131,707.20 Baht

In other words, the total import duties are TWICE the value of the vehicle !!!

It does note a discount depending on the registration period, but it's not very clear if that means the period you intend to register it in Thailand, or the period it was registered in your home country. For example:

31 - Registration Period - Exceeding 5 years - But not exceeding 5 years 2 months = 55.83 % Discount

Does this mean if my vehicle was between 5 years and 5 years-2 months old, I would get a 55.83% discount on the total taxes and duties ?

Even then, using the example above, I would be looking at 1,190,132 baht for taxes and duties, on a vehicle valued at 1 mil (including the cost of the insurance and freight to get it to LOS).

Seems a little steep to me, especially for a 5 year old vehicle that may be worth 600,000 baht.

Yep KerryD,

those numbers are correct :o

It's close to unafordable importing a car yourself...

Same reason the European cars costed triple in Thailand of what they costed in Europe.

Recently the retail prices have dropped a lot because of the local assembly of Volvo's, BMW's and Mercedesses...Thus they avoid the taxes on build-up cars!

240% Tax for a car or bike coming into Thailand, of what the Thai customs think it's worth, if it's in your wifes name for 18 months in the uk, and she is returning, you can bring it in duty free. here is a link to the Thai cosulates office in UK.

http://freespace.virgin.net/royalthai.cons...e/faq's.htm

Just not worth it.

Edited by Thaicoon

240% Tax for a car or bike coming into Thailand, of what the Thai customs think it's worth, if it's in your wifes name for 18 months in the uk, and she is returning, you can bring it in duty free. here is a link to the Thai cosulates office in UK.

http://freespace.virgin.net/royalthai.cons...e/faq's.htm

Just not worth it.

How true. Kind of spoilt my plan for bringing my truck over here, especially when I've seen ads for new vehicles at around 1 mil baht.

It seems like the best idea is to sell your vehicle back home for what ever you can get for it, and then use that money to buy something in Thailand (which may have been part of what they were thinking when they made up those taxes and duties).

... if it's in your wifes name for 18 months in the uk, and she is returning, you can bring it in duty free. ...

I looked into this in the states and have read on the Forum(and have Thai friends from the states who returned to Thailand but sold their cars because they couldn't work this deal out)

that nobody knows of anybody who has brought a car back to Thailand after travelling overseas as a student/etc. I've read here, some time back (over a year a go) that there are warehouses down at the port full of cars that never got through customs because the importee couldn't pay the huge taxes.

Good Luck. :o

The thai customs dept have an Auction every so often, they auction all the cars of they seize, you can get some bargains, it is posted on Thai visa somewhere but i cannot find it.

PM me if you want details.

Don't expect any huge bargains thou