Re-Allocating Partition

whooliggen

Hey all,

A quick question from a happy recent convert to the Mac fraternity! The only issue I have is that when the machine was set up I got them to partition the hard disk 50% over to windows with the Parallels software. I've quickly realised that instead of a straight 250gb split on each partition, a maximum of 50gb would be fine for the "Windows section". I have heard of a piece of software called CampTune that appears to do what I need, but I was wondering if I was wrong in thinking it would be quite a straightforward process?

Anyone with either any direct experience with this particular software or my issue in general, your input would be much appreciated as the last thing I want to do is mess up my beautiful new toy. Thanks.

Happy times,

W.

You can use Boot Camp Assistant - it comes with every Mac.

I don't think it can resize a partition, but it can add and remove partitions. So you save your Windows partition - just copy it to a folder on the Mac partition temporarily, or a backup disk. Then you use Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Windows partition. Then use Boot Camp Assistant to create a new (smaller) Windows partition.

There are 3rd party partition management tools but I'd stick with what Apple provides to avoid problems.

I don't think it can resize a partition, but it can add and remove partitions. So you save your Windows partition - just copy it to a folder on the Mac partition temporarily, or a backup disk. Then you use Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Windows partition. Then use Boot Camp Assistant to create a new (smaller) Windows partition.

There are 3rd party partition management tools but I'd stick with what Apple provides to avoid problems.

Thanks for that. Sorry to sound dumb, but how do I go about saving my Windows Partition to a new folder on the Mac?

Thanks for that. Sorry to sound dumb, but how do I go about saving my Windows Partition to a new folder on the Mac?

Copy it over - drag the entire contents of the Windows partition to a new folder on the other disk.

You could also use Disk Utility and make a disk image from the windows partition - but I don't think it makes a difference and creating disk images can be slow.

Use Winclone to shrink windows partition for bootcamp.

Thought about this option, but was just nervous about making any system changes from the Windows side. Surely making partition changes from the Mac side is the safer option no?

It's a Mac program so no worries, Google is your friend... http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/25932/winclone

Use Winclone to shrink windows partition for bootcamp.

Thought about this option, but was just nervous about making any system changes from the Windows side. Surely making partition changes from the Mac side is the safer option no?

It's a Mac program so no worries, Google is your friend... http://www.macupdate.../25932/winclone

Have downloaded it, but to be honest, it is way over my head in terms of technicality. I was looking for something similar to Paragon CampTune where I could simply drag a slider to adjust the partition size, but now by trying to do this myself I have managed to wreck my windows partition! All the files are still there in bootcamp, but when I try to access Windows via parallels I'm met with a Black Windows Boot Screen page saying that windows was unable to start. I've obviously messed something up and i guess that serves me right for trying to do something waaaay above my pay grade...what are my options for getting a technician round to come and sort it out for me as I'm loathe to take it in to the Mac store and pay would would undoubtedly be extortionate prices to have it put right...Have learnt my lesson not to mess with things I don't know that's for sure!!

Thanks for all your help though - much appreciated.

If you're in BKK, search these forums for recommended Apple dealers in BKK - there are a few good ones. This is Thailand, so labor costs are very low, even in the Apple store, which means it's worth it having someone fix this for you. The problem is finding somebody competent - so get a recommendation. It's not going to cost you more than 1000 baht.

@negreanu - Would a simple copy/paste or creating a disk image not work for copying the windows partition? Copy contents somewhere else, remove partition, create new partition, copy everything back? Once upon a time, a Windows install could be cloned like that - very easy. But maybe newer versions don't like that, or maybe there's some special stuff on a bootcamp windows install?

If you're in BKK, search these forums for recommended Apple dealers in BKK - there are a few good ones. This is Thailand, so labor costs are very low, even in the Apple store, which means it's worth it having someone fix this for you. The problem is finding somebody competent - so get a recommendation. It's not going to cost you more than 1000 baht.

Thanks for that nikster. I'm in BKK yeah and went into the Mac store where I bought it from, spoke to one of the fellas there and he came over after hours to help sort me out and for less than in would have cost me in-store! So, for the price of a few singha's for his troubles and his name now in my skpye list for 24/7 support, alls well that ends well! Have learnt to say away from things I don't really understand (or have the proper inclination to want to understand) & just to enjoy the machine for the great piece of sexiness that it is! The only issues I've faced is due to the Windows part...NO surprises there!

Again, thanks for all your help and advice - much appreciated all round.

Nothing but good stuff,

W.