Kit Car Building..

LivinLOS

Have you searched thru the archives here because i do remember all these questions being asked before (maybe 5 years ago) with loads of info. I have built a kit car in UK so thats why I remember the thread. I seem to recollect using a Bug is the easy way to go.

• 6 months later...

You can not register a kit car in Thailand.

You have to use a donor car,registered in thailand and tax paid.

Were using VW Beetle Donor cars for our Replica Cars _ Ferrari P4 Spyder and Coupe - Lamborghini Countach - Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo and VW Buggy - built in Pattaya and you can use them arround here but if youre going to Bangkok you can get Problems because the Car doesnt look like a Beetle anymore.Its very hard to find an engineer who will sign the documents for modifications and write it in the blue Book

You can also just get a fiberglass body and build your own car

Visit our Website : link to commercial website removed

If you need more informationsjust contact us and we can give you free advise

This is really interesting as I have been contemplating bringing a cobra kit in from the UK - the logic I was using is that in this luxury car DSI investigation thing they seem to be saying that the cars have been brought in as parts and assembled in thailand - then given a registration plate. I appreciate the issue is to dodge tax so forget that part, this is not about tax. A kit car is a car assembled in thailand from parts imported from overseas, so I am confused why you can't register it. Guessing there are emissions and other tests etc, but is it really true this can't be done?

This is really interesting as I have been contemplating bringing a cobra kit in from the UK - the logic I was using is that in this luxury car DSI investigation thing they seem to be saying that the cars have been brought in as parts and assembled in thailand - then given a registration plate. I appreciate the issue is to dodge tax so forget that part, this is not about tax. A kit car is a car assembled in thailand from parts imported from overseas, so I am confused why you can't register it. Guessing there are emissions and other tests etc, but is it really true this can't be done?

It is also called CKD (completely knocked down) or CBU (completely built up)... and is the technique BMW uses I believe to get around high import duties. You imagine what it would be if you could import Porsches in Thailand and rebuild them without incurring the prohibitive import duties?