Speeding Van Falls Off Bangkok Expressway, Killing At Least Eight

george

That really sucks. I wish they would crack down on the poor driving habits here.

Way to go Maswov!!! I knew that if I read down the postings there would be some Thai bashing turned on the incident! If you think its bad here I would love to see you in Latin America. :blink:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, yes I did choose to live here, but I'll be away just as soon as I can sell my house. Thailand is brilliant by the way. The number one place to live in all the world. I can do you a good price on my house. B)

No thanks. I already have two. A third will only give the wife another opportunity to spend more money. ;)

And you're right......Thailand is a brilliant country to live in.......assuming you don't come here with your 'western' values about how things should be.

Yeah dude, this is thailand bro, don't bring your idea of safety and survival here, let's just accept all kind of recklessnes as a part of thai culture which must be respected at all costs or else you are just a disrespectful western moral high horse riding bastard. Amirite?

Thai drivers aren't that bad despite very little training. Try Morocco and India as driving here is pretty stress free even in Bangkok. Driving in Paris is much worse as I lived there for 8 years and at times wondered why I even bothered having a car as it had a dent in every panel usually as a result of parking it on the street at night and it getting hit by careless drivers.

Oh common, since when does Paris have a million motorbikes driving around?

Bangkok probably has more than just one million motorbikes on the roads.

I had my deal driving in Paris but took the Metro and RER most of the time, only idiots drive daily in Paris>

Bangkok"s main problem is there is hardly a Metro/RER.

Next are the crazy Bangkok (or elsewhere) highway drivers, I had my share of hair raising minibus rides, just try Nakhon Somewhere to Nakhon Nowhere.

Ever experienced a minibus ride on Bangkok elevated expressway driving at 120kmph and the driver talking on his mobile? :(

That really sucks. I wish they would crack down on the poor driving habits here.

random drug and alcohol test.

Enforced by whom, the same police force that enforces the existing traffic laws?

Like most things in LOS, the issue boils down to corruption, and spots tests for DUIs would only end up serving as another bribe-extraction tool for the BIB.

You can't even start to solve this Thai problem until you solve the ones regarding rule of law, justice, and corruption.

And you're right......Thailand is a brilliant country to live in.......assuming you don't come here with your 'western' values about how things should be.

You were correct to quote "western," and not values.

Values -- such as respecting other human beings, honesty, and equality under the eyes of the law -- aren't regional. That Thais choose not to value them doesn't make them Western.

And no, I didn't choose to live in Thailand. I chose to leave Thailand, and in retrospect, it was an excellent decision. The country drives away the decent foreigners, leaving only the ones that more closely resemble the Thais. Guess it all works out.

Edited by ajc1970

Enforced by whom, the same police force that enforces the existing traffic laws?

Like most things in LOS, the issue boils down to corruption, and spots tests for DUIs would only end up serving as another bribe-extraction tool for the BIB.

You can't even start to solve this Thai problem until you solve the ones regarding rule of law, justice, and corruption.

Amen to that!

My condolences to the victims. I hope the injured make a speedy and complete recovery.

Hey, someone always has to say it...

I'd like to add that I hope nobody in the world, whether I know them personally or not ever gets sick, hurt or dies ever again. And if they do, in spite of my not inconsiderable best wishes to the contrary, I hope they rest in peace - whatever the hel_l that means.

Edited by zthyadat

Per the article: "Police believed there were altogether 11 passengers on board."

What, they weren't sure? Did someone run away?

Very sad indeed. But I've been wondering when something like this was going to happen.

I see these "speedy vans" all the time with those crazy drivers. Pedal to the metal non-stop.

Swerving in and out. Very dangerous.

R.I.P.

You were correct to quote "western," and not values.

Values -- such as respecting other human beings, honesty, and equality under the eyes of the law -- aren't regional. That Thais choose not to value them doesn't make them Western.

And no, I didn't choose to live in Thailand. I chose to leave Thailand, and in retrospect, it was an excellent decision. The country drives away the decent foreigners, leaving only the ones that more closely resemble the Thais. Guess it all works out.

Standards. That's what it all boils down to and the accepted standards on driving are low in Thailand. This appears to be from the driving test through to enforcement / consequences / punishment. Unfortunately it's a factor that detracts from the positives that go with Thailand and ultimately, with those positives less obvious as time goes by, to a degree, I think your comment re the "decent foreigners" leaving may be true...eventually contributing to Thailand being slightly less attractive...

Anyway, my initial reaction to this story was twofold; how very horrific and sad for those involved, especially the update which suggests some were burnt alive - and the eight survivors must be suffering beyond comprehension.

The other thought was that it's amazing nobody else was injured / killed, e.g. Pedestrians and others below.

RIP

Edited by BwindiBoy

I often catch the mini-bus from Victory Monument down to Hua Hin and back,but try to make sure that its the early morning bus that I catch as really you just do not know how many trips some of these drivers are doing a day!Of course you can have the best driver in the world but that doesn't mean to say it guarantees' your safety on these roads as we all know!

I worry less about drugs and alcohol and more about the twenty bottles of Red Bull so often a ubiquitous part of any Thai bus journey.

yea i hire a lot of vans every year in TH. drugs and alcohol are never a problem. its the caffeine and some extreme urgency, even if they are hired for a week and you are the only client.

its best if you have a driver you know and trust. and even if u dont know them, you have to force them to drive slow - or fire them. just the threat of losing the fare will usually force them to slow down. if they won't listen, call their boss.

this happens in every country tho. no TH bashing needed. the highway wrecks i saw when i was a firefighter in the US were gruesome.

Very sad indeed. People do drive too fast on these roads. Rather than blame, feel for the loss and try to prevent in future. Whenever there is children involved, speeds should be decreased> they say that each 10 kms you travel you increase your chances of a serious accident over and over. Peace to the families involved.

I was in a mini van last week traveling from Bangkok to Rayong. I had my best friend with me and her young 15 year old son. I felt guilty that I had exposed them to the reckless and dangerous driving habits here in Thailand. We could have easily had an accident with the idiot driver travelling at about 140 k/h, leaving only inches between our van and the vehicle in front and all of this in the pouring rain. I yelled at him several times "Chaa Chaa". He looked at me with contempt and just pointed at his watch. The other passengers - all Thai - seemed unconcerned. Now this tragic accident confirms how dangerous these mini van type vehicles with their reckless drivers can be. For me now it's strictly the bus - at least they can't do the crazy speeds.

sade for this people.RIP, this is a example again for people not understand cannot respect the speed many problem come from van, taxi and bus,they don t want loose time wait one minute now people die very sade for them

when i go futur park have 4 way ,3 are full only with taxi bus and van after people angry and drive quickly, the police is 50 meter from there they don t care now this problem will be no t finish yet

all driver must to understand when you make this job you have responsability to others and you must to take care

and be carrefull

being from the uk and a hgv truck driver of over twenty years the standard of driving by thais does leave a little to be desired<BR>does remnd me of my days driving in italy<BR>very sorry for loss of life <BR>a little thought of behalf of driver could have prevented this<BR>why do thais have the need to try to get every where like yesterday<BR>the bus drivers and taxi drivers are prob worse <BR>hopping from lane to lane just to gain a extra second or two<BR>and the motor cycle taxis think they in the le man race <BR>but its horrible when this happens so so sad for every one concerned

The whole problem of speeding, reckless driving stems from the culture of "lack of responsibility". Road safety begin from infancy upwards with four children to a motorcycle and 18/20 children on the rear ot the pick-up used for school transport. Plus of course that does not count the ones sitting on the roof. Who is responsible for this "teaching"?

Bye-the-bye; Have you ever seen any police checking speed on BKK expressways?

I was in a mini van last week traveling from Bangkok to Rayong. I had my best friend with me and her young 15 year old son. I felt guilty that I had exposed them to the reckless and dangerous driving habits here in Thailand. We could have easily had an accident with the idiot driver travelling at about 140 k/h, leaving only inches between our van and the vehicle in front and all of this in the pouring rain. I yelled at him several times "Chaa Chaa". He looked at me with contempt and just pointed at his watch. The other passengers - all Thai - seemed unconcerned. Now this tragic accident confirms how dangerous these mini van type vehicles with their reckless drivers can be. For me now it's strictly the bus - at least they can't do the crazy speeds.

Happened to me once. My Mrs told the driver to drive properly or stop and let us out. He stopped.

.Plus of course that does not count the ones sitting on the roof. Who is responsible for this "teaching"?

Cant say that I have seen too many vehicles with people traveling on the roof, does this happen often ??

Yes they do, I have been caught a few times.

R.I.P peoples, another tragic loss.

For years now, I avoid boarding any van here. I also strongly recommend my friends to do the same. And when I see them in my mirror or cross them, I expect the worst maneuvers.

Worst drivers:

#1 : mini van

#2 : taxi

#3 : buses

all meant to carry passengers :annoyed:

It's not just BKK. A little while back, here in Chiang Mai, I saw a school van, loaded with kids, pull out in a NO PASSING ZONE, and try to pass 4 other cars. Fortunately they were able to squeeze in before the oncoming traffic plowed into them.

Sounds familiar.....and every Sunday afternoon Chiang Mai Muang is like Le Mans......

Traffic Madness that we only seem to react to when these dreadful tragedies happen and are reported on.

Baffled Brewsta :blink:

Edited by Brewsta

The whole problem of speeding, reckless driving stems from the culture of "lack of responsibility". Road safety begin from infancy upwards with four children to a motorcycle and 18/20 children on the rear ot the pick-up used for school transport. Plus of course that does not count the ones sitting on the roof. Who is responsible for this "teaching"?

That and an inbuilt culture of fatalism - what will happen will happen. Life is cheap in 80% of the world and the driving reflects that.

BTW - yes there are plenty of speed checks (at least on the expressway coming in from the airport). They catch you at the toll booths.

Driving safety and speed in Thailand by people who are road users, not drivers. Anyone can put their foot down to go fast - but expressways and roads are not for dodgem cars! Death is the ultimate tragedy in road accidents. The innocents killed are the victims of irresponsible driving. Sad, stupid and a waste.

Oh....

'we', being the legislators and law enforcment agenies here in Thailand of course.

I was recently told that EVERY day here in LOS, there are in excess of 150 traffic fatalities or serious injuries....anyone got any data or view?

regards

Brewsta

It's not just BKK. A little while back, here in Chiang Mai, I saw a school van, loaded with kids, pull out in a NO PASSING ZONE, and try to pass 4 other cars. Fortunately they were able to squeeze in before the oncoming traffic plowed into them.

Sounds familiar.....and every Sunday afternoon Chiang Mai Muang is like Le Mans......

Traffic Madness that we only seem to react to when these dreadful tragedies happen and are reported on.

Baffled Brewsta :blink:

Edited by Brewsta