Thai Subtitles!?!?

CrankyCarrot

You may be better off joining one of the Thai-centric torrent sites. All the movies have Thai subtitles. Finding Thai subtitles to match previously sourced material will be nearly impossible, and even then they probably won't be synched to your copy.

You may be better off joining one of the Thai-centric torrent sites. All the movies have Thai subtitles. Finding Thai subtitles to match previously sourced material will be nearly impossible, and even then they probably won't be synched to your copy.

I'm pretty sure the synching thing can be gotten around using VLC media player. There's an option to advance the position or speed of the subtitles in relation to the audio/video track. I had no idea it was there until I was messing around with it the other day, but if you want to try it for yourself it's under Tools>Effects and Filters>Synchronisation

Pretty nifty. Just got to actually find the subs now. Thai torrents sounds like the way to go - I'm checking that other link posted above now. Thanks fellas.

Just tried to get the subs for Inception on thaisubtitle.com, but it turns out they want me to translate a bunch of dialogue for them. Lol!

Says it's 6% complete then has a list of sentences they need the Thai translation for. Things like: "What is the most resiIient parasite?" - I know the answer to the question, in Thai, is "farang", but wouldn't know how to translate the rest.

"Inception"! Most Thai people may be better off without subs. :lol:

I'm not sure the DVD has been released here so no way for someone to rip subs, and then share them. Some of those fansubs (your 6% solution) can be useless. Again, your much more likely to locate a total, watchable solution on a Thai-centric torrent site, of which there are ~ 50 or so. I did not see "Inception" posted yet.

Edited by lomatopo

There are tools available for syncing SSA and SRT text style subs.

The tool I have involves playing the movie and noting the time that the first sub should occur, winding to the end and noting the time the last sub should start, and inputting the data and then the rest is automatic. It only takes about 10 minutes and is not bad.

The subs on ThaiSubtitle.com are updated fairly quickly, and from what I have seen I believe the first set are done by computer translation from another subtitle set, and then hand adjusted as need be.

I think the Inception DVD must have just been released in the States. It's very freshly available online anyway, so it's no surprise there's not much in the way of sub support yet. I assumed people ripped the subs off those cheap Movie CDs you see in 7/11 et al, but I guess if they're not available they have to just make it all up.

I'm happy enough watching older movs anyway. Cheers guys.

Hey, just been having a look at the thaisubs website and it seems pretty awesome. They have shows like Weeds and Dexter on there too. Can't wait to get the Thai take on Dex and his killing ways.

Oh, looks like I'll be needing some kind of Thai font codec installed too. Well, maybe Microsoft support can lend a hand...

<br />
<br />You may be better off joining one of the Thai-centric torrent sites. All the movies have Thai subtitles. Finding Thai subtitles to match previously sourced material will be nearly impossible, and even then they probably won't be synched to your copy.<br />
<br /><br />I'm pretty sure the synching thing can be gotten around using VLC media player. There's an option to advance the position or speed of the subtitles in relation to the audio/video track. I had no idea it was there until I was messing around with it the other day, but if you want to try it for yourself it's under Tools>Effects and Filters>Synchronisation<br /><br />Pretty nifty. Just got to actually find the subs now. Thai torrents sounds like the way to go - I'm checking that other link posted above now. Thanks fellas.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

But then you have to re-sync every time you want to watch that movie or TV show.

I use Subtitle Workshop http://www.urusoft.net/download.php?lang=1&id=sw

Very easy and user friendly to edit, correct, re-sync and save all formats of downloaded subs.

Hey, just been having a look at the thaisubs website and it seems pretty awesome. They have shows like Weeds and Dexter on there too. Can't wait to get the Thai take on Dex and his killing ways.

When I looked there were ZERO Weeds eps available and ~ 4 Dexter eps available.

Most U.S. TV shows, and all locally released DVD movies are available with Thai subs on Thai torrent sites. Burning a DVD ISO gives you full menu control. HD and BluRay are widely available although the file size of the latter can be challenging. U.S. TV shows are not the current season but rather 'last' season, with the exception of a show like "Glee". Subs are ripped off officially released product or OTA (AXN, TRUEseries, etc.). I certainly don't want to discourage people from spending their free time cobbling together AVIs and SRTs into some sort of marginally watchable entertainment but there are better solutions.

FWIW, the current generation TV's with USB (Samsung, LG) playback most generally available formats (AVI MP4, MKV, ISO, VOB), can overlay SRT files and support NTFS.

I've been using Sublight (now ver 2.5.8) and free. It's not much use for Thai subs as the market is so small, but Eng subs are great. Just select file on your PC and it downloads the sub and renames it accordingly from a choice of web sites. There are a few programs out there like this I expect.

My Thai friends and wife (who can read and understand English) find the English subtitles easier to understand some of the harder to understand accents.

Ok guys, thanks. Been a bit busy over the last few days but looking at this again now. I still have the problem of garble coming up instead of Thai characters in VLC. I'm having a look at this thread to try and work it out now.

Configure your "Regional and Language Options" as shown below...

(Note: Screens taken from Windows XP)

langinstallthai.png

And...

langnonunicode.png

Movie snapshots (download the subs here)

inceptionthaisub.png

inceptionthaisub2.png

If it still doesn't work, I suggest you dump VLC (which sucks anyway) for a more versatile player like KMPlayer or MPC-HC.

FWIW, I never had any problems rendering Thai subs in Windows 7 Ultimate (English). No language packs were installed, except Thai keyboard support. My guess is that changing the keyboard or input method to "Thai" during Windows 7 setup also installs all the necessary Thai language files.

Edited by Supernova

Supernova Thanks. I was able to display Thai subtitles in VobSUB-Sub Resynch (SSA-->SRT), and Notepad (SRT) after making those Windows changes (slightly different in Win 7) and then using MPC. I could never get VLC to properly display Thai subs.

I had the same garble in MPC as I did in VLC (which I like because it lets you crank the volume to 400%). Windows 7 has a 'Region and Language' icon in the control panel, which lets you change the keyboard language installed but only offers some annoying help links as a teaser to let you think you might be able to change the text language on screen. Then gives you the runaround.

Yes, that's exactly what I did, and it worked. Before making this change I could not display Thai fonts (as .SRT in Notepad or as .SSA in VOBSub Sub Resync), but after I could. Then using the MPC player I could successfully display Thai subs. (i could not get VLC to work.)

You can get free LIPs for Win7 but this is not what you are looking for. These are used to change the Win7 UI.

Thanks again.

Edited by lomatopo

Heeeeeeyyyy!!! It worked!

Thanks guys - changing the region under administrator priviliges did the trick, but only for Windows Media Player. MPC had the subs option grayed out, and VLC just had the same old garble. I'm going to try a program called GOM since I hear it allows you to speed the subs up and down as req'd.

Really glad to finally have this working properly. Kudos to all of you, esp Supernova.

:)

Oh, and I'll check out MPC-HC too - although I don't know what the HC extension is all about? Will google.

edit - oh right, Home Cinema. Yes, I have that. But it's got subs grayed out for reasons unknown. I tried changing the xtn from ssa to srt, tried renaming the file to match the name of the main avi file, but to no avail on both counts.

Edited by CrankyCarrot

^ Always use the original file extension. Renaming .srt to .ssa or vice versa won't work. Subs should also be in the same folder as the movie file, although this isn't necessary...

MPC-HC options:

In the left pane, click Playback. Make sure "Auto-load subtitles" is checked.