Bbq Buffet Appreciation Thread

Totster

BBQ Buffets

I was reading another topic and the subject of the BBQ buffets came up. It seemed like a good idea for them to have their own topic.

For those of you that may not know what we are talking about... BBQ buffets can be found all over Thailand and are normally a set fee ( between ฿70 - ฿100 ) for an "all you can eat" BBQ buffet.

The buffets normally consist of a selection of raw vegetables, meats, sea food etc... which are cooked at the table by yourselves on a small BBQ. The vegetables are cooked in a small "moat" around the bottom of the grill in a stock.

I love em...good fun in a group, funny when people get territorial on the grill, and excellent value for money..

I thought it might be a good idea to share our BBQ experiences and locations so that others can enjoy.

So my favorites are ...

In Bangkok - Sorry can't remember the name... but here are the directions...

On Rachadapisek Road, near to the Huai Khwang subway station, it's about 500m in the Suttisan direction on the opposite side to the road where the Huai Kwang market is. Got a big neon sign outside (might be a cowboy)

Massive buffet including cooked foods and "Yaang Gai", all you can eat for ฿89, good atmosphere, background music, very enjoyable night out, cheap beer as well. Also for those sat open air they have a fine mist spray system overhead to keep you cool - works a treat. :D

Gets bloody busy on the weekends. :o

Also been to one near Tesco's at On Nut Sukhumvit, again same thing, ฿89 all you can eat, but the selection wasn't as good as the above, but still worth a visit if you are in the area. It was a while ago so can't remember too much about it (may have had a couple of beers also) :D

Kalasin -

"J" Barbecue in Kalasin is my favorite BBQ place for eating... ฿79 all you can eat.. only a small place (by BKK standards) but a decent selection, clean, and nice people.

Located on the road that leads past "plazaa" on the left as you are heading north out of Kalasin.

Another one I have been to in Kalasin is situated on a road behind the Hospital, quite a nice place, although the price is for one plate of food, pre selected by them... Did have live music though (ok, karaoke) and was an enjoyable night .

So you've got the idea.... lets have your recommendations, reviews, share your secrets, we want to know about the BBQ you've been to, and are keeping all to yourself.... :D

And remember guys... make sure you eyes aren't bigger than your stomach... you wouldn't want to get fined for not finishing your food now... :D

totster :D

The Korean Style BBQs are located all over Thailand.Some are cleaner than others and you can get better selections if you shop around.

Most don't serve beef though. Pork, chicken, spicy chicken, and so on. It is a cheap and enjoyable event. Try it out!

I'm not big on these types of BBQ's... :D

I don't want to sound snobbish or anything, but I just find that the falungs in these places are usually the cheap charlie variety, and the quality of food is poor.

I would never take my friends and family to any of them.

There are much better alternatives with far better quality food (and clientele).

Just my opinion... :o

Our local one is pretty good. They dont do the fixed price though, but its cheap anyway. I remember when we finnished the farm. I had a freind out staying, so we took her, my staff , the family, and the builders out there to celebrate. I think there were about 14 of us. Food, lots of beer, bottle of SangSom, coke ect. My friend was amazed when the bill came to about 1300 bhat :o They dont stock alchol but if you want any (beer/whiskey) they just go down the local 7 and buy it for you at cost.

I find them great as a social thing but never seem to get full as it takes ages to cook enough meat :D

If you are having a few friends around they also do take outs, with a small deposit in the burner and BBQ thing on top.

I'm not big on these types of BBQ's...  :D

I don't want to sound snobbish or anything, but I just find that the falungs in these places are usually the cheap charlie variety, and the quality of food is poor.

There are much better alternatives with far better quality food (and clientele).

Just my opinion...  :o

Entitled to your opinion Jai Dee, fair enough...

But there's nothing wrong with getting a good cheap meal, I hold my hand up then, I'm a cheap charlie, can't say that I've ever thought the quality was poor, if the quality is no good then try somewhere else... sure it's not going to be a michelin quality meal but hey, so what..it's not meant to be.... what it is though is a good sociable night out, especially with a nice group of people..!! :D

Does this mean then Jai Dee that you have never got food from the "som tam lady", or any street vendor for that matter.... and if you have, does that make you a cheap charlie farang... ? :D

Anyway .. back on topic..

Come on guys.... let's get talking, there must be a favorite bbq of yours out there, share it with us, don't keep it a secret, or maybe there is one that's not so good, let us know... :D

Does this mean then Jai Dee that you have never got food from the "som tam lady", or any street vendor for that matter.... and if you have, does that make you a cheap charlie farang... ?  :D

Actually I have Totster... both in BKK and up-country... :D

Arroy mak mak or Saap eellee... depending where you come from... :D

I don't look on those situations as being "cheap charlie"... nor was I implying that you were... I was just saying that in my experience , the quality of food in those types of restaurant is generally not as good as you will find elsewhere... and also in my experience , the types of farangs you find there is generally of dubious quality... generally speaking of course ... :o

I was not implying that a fine upstanding TV member such as your esteemed self could be considered in that category... :D

:D

Just my opinion ... :D

I have to agree with you Jai Dee, the falangs at the ones in Kalasin seem to be the worst. :D:D:D

Any more BBQs to recommend? I am taking notes here! Cheers!

Yep, we have a few of these barbees in Sydney that we have bought back on a couple trips. Although, you fellas aren't welcome at our restaurant! :D

We have the old style heavy burners (that you stick the tray on) and they are a real novelty here! Friends/reletives come over and love'em. Those light weight aluminium ones are great but burn hot/fast whereas the heavy ones go for ages holding the heat.

It's great to sit around picking at the BBQ on a nice Sunday afternoon. Especially this time of year, the weather has been great :o

Cheers BaanOz

I once went with a friend to the 89Baht Bbq buffet (probably similar to the ones Totser mentioned above) that you used to be on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 36, but wasn't able to stand the sight of the meat-- it didn't look fresh or pleasant at all so we left. But some of my friends said they were really good though...

Anyhow, some of my favorites are:

1. Iroha - Japanese Bbq restaurant (Thong-lo Soi 13)- superb meat quality especially the beef :D

2. Seoul Korean Bbq (near the pak soi of Thonglo-Sukhumvit)

3. another korean bbq restaurant in Korean Town near Asoke, sorry couldn't remember the name...

(Oh by the way, the ones I mentioned above aren't buffet..sorry :o )

I'd like to go to a good Thai Bbq restaurant though... waiting for more suggestions :D

Edited by hUsh

the quality of food in those types of restaurant is generally  not as good as you will find elsewhere... and also in my experience , the types of farangs you find there is generally  of dubious quality...

Just my opinion ...  :o

Here's my 89 baht spot: Rum Sai Garden

We have some friends, she an simple office worker, he a messenger.

They like to take us out, but have a very modest income.

This place is near their home.

I was a bit taken back when we first arrived, but soon found it to be quite good.

Be care with drink consumption; that's where they get you!

I was the only farang in the place.

Talk about dubious quality!!!!

the quality of food in those types of restaurant is generally  not as good as you will find elsewhere... and also in my experience , the types of farangs you find there is generally  of dubious quality...

Just my opinion ...  :o

Here's my 89 baht spot: Rum Sai Garden

We have some friends, she an simple office worker, he a messenger.

They like to take us out, but have a very modest income.

This place is near their home.

I was a bit taken back when we first arrived, but soon found it to be quite good.

Be care with drink consumption; that's where they get you!

I was the only farang in the place.

Talk about dubious quality!!!!

If you were taken there by Thais then I would suggest that the food would be OK to eat... :D

I do apologise to all if my comments in this thread seem negative... for clarification I was referring to the big BBQ joints in Pattaya that cater for the most part to "cheap charlies".

I am quite aware that there are other BBQ joints that Thais frequent, and they do have quality food and low cost.

If you were taken there by Thais then I would suggest that the food would be OK to eat...  :D

I do apologise to all if my comments in this thread seem negative... for clarification I was referring to the big BBQ joints in Pattaya that cater for the most part to "cheap charlies".

I am quite aware that there are other BBQ joints that Thais frequent, and they do have quality food and low cost.

My "dubious" remark was tongue-in-cheek.

No offense taken.

Unfortunately, many of the "cheap" places bump up the prices once they get a farang clientele.

I imagine that an 89 baht BBQ, that caters to expats ( :o ), would be a little scary!

I imagine that an 89 baht BBQ, that caters to expats ( :D ), would be a little scary!

Just have a look at the prawns for example... and try to find a fresh one...

You're going to the wrong places.... My wife can be pretty fussy about food quality, and she has never complained when we have been to a BBQ... :o

I imagine that an 89 baht BBQ, that caters to expats ( :D ), would be a little scary!
You're going to the wrong places.... My wife can be pretty fussy about food quality, and she has never complained when we have been to a BBQ... :o

I enjoyed Run Sai Garden.

But, like I stated, I was the only non-Thai in the joint.

I have found that, although quality might stay good, the prices typically rise when a place becomes a hangout for Western clientele.

Edited by Curt

But there's nothing wrong with getting a good cheap meal, I hold my hand up then, I'm a cheap charlie, can't say that I've ever thought the quality was poor, if the quality is no good then try somewhere else... sure it's not going to be a michelin quality meal but hey, so what..it's not meant to be.... what it is though is a good sociable night out, especially with a nice group of people..!! :D

Does this mean then Jai Dee that you have never got food from the "som tam lady", or any street vendor for that matter.... and if you have, does that make you a cheap charlie farang... ? :D

Come on guys.... let's get talking, there must be a favorite bbq of yours out there, share it with us, don't keep it a secret, or maybe there is one that's not so good, let us know... :D

Totser - agree entirely - I think Jai Dee is in danger of disappearing up his own blowhole.

We all came a long way to Thailand, so why not experience as much as we can whilst here ?

Just because something is cheap - it doesn't mean it's bad. If I have a good meal somewhere - I'll go again - price doesn't come into it - neither does the crowd that's there.

I guess Jai Dee needs to stick to his hi-so, jet-set, gucci crowd & stick to eating in overpriced restaurants where he can get ripped off thinking he's something special.

aaaaaah - that's better.

Jai Dee sounds like a snob to me - bet he falls for all that designer label crap too...

Totser - agree entirely - I think Jai Dee is in danger of disappearing up his own blowhole.

We all came a long way to Thailand, so why not experience as much as we can whilst here ?

Just because something is cheap - it doesn't mean it's bad. If I have a good meal somewhere - I'll go again - price doesn't come into it - neither does the crowd that's there.

I guess Jai Dee needs to stick to his hi-so, jet-set, gucci crowd & stick to eating in overpriced restaurants where he can get ripped off thinking he's something special.

aaaaaah - that's better.

Jai Dee sounds like a snob to me - bet he falls for all that designer label crap too...

Pedro... Jai Dee has explained fully what he actually meant in his post... I fully understand what he was getting at...

Like Jai dee said... read some more...

Anyway this is the BBQ Appreciation thread... so let's get appreciating...

If you want to discuss Cheap Charlie Farangs go here ( and also read what Jai Dee has posted...)

Cheap Charlie Falang, Good or Bad

talk about thai bbq's... I was just at that place that the totster talked about 2 days ago.

went with a friend. spent at least 2 hours eating. had a great time.

ate at least 5 trays of food. left the place feeling like a pig. and happy as ######.

besides all the marinated meats, they had watermelon for fruit. I had a plate of pad kapow gai, some egg rolls, teriyaki chicken, a bunch of vegetables. liked their version of spam too. if you like, you can get shrimp too. but it costs extra.

eating at all-you-eat places for about 2 dollars, and watching first run movies for 2 dollars.

ahhh. what a life.

talk about thai bbq's...  I was just at that place that the totster talked about 2 days ago.

went with a friend.  spent at least 2 hours eating.  had a great time.

ate at least 5 trays of food.  left the place feeling like a pig.  and happy as ######.

besides all the marinated meats, they had watermelon for fruit.  I had a plate of pad kapow gai, some egg rolls, teriyaki chicken, a bunch of vegetables. liked their version of spam too.  if you like, you can get shrimp too. but it costs extra.

eating at all-you-eat places for about 2 dollars, and watching first run movies for 2 dollars. 

ahhh.  what a life.

Great ain't it..... I'm jealous :o

In Pattaya take the baht bus along 2nd Road past Big C.

Watch for a Shell (I think) gas station on the right before the dophin roundabout.

Walk up the street at the naklua side of the gas station.

Its about 100 yards up, can't miss it it's big.

A few falangs eating but 95% Thai familes and some mixed Thai-Falang families.

First time is 120baht but they give you a frequent-flier card that makes it 99.

Good enough for Thais, good enough for me.

Hey thanks for that Birthday Subway Sanwich.....that was just great. Now I'm back in California, and I miss all the BBQ's and other cusines of Thailand. Take care....ha ha ha ha ha :o

talk about thai bbq's...  I was just at that place that the totster talked about 2 days ago.

ate at least 5 trays of food.  left the place feeling like a pig.  and happy as ######.

besides all the marinated meats, they had watermelon for fruit.  I had a plate of pad kapow gai, some egg rolls, teriyaki chicken, a bunch of vegetables. liked their version of spam too.  if you like, you can get shrimp too. but it costs extra.

ahhh.  what a life.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey thanks for that Birthday Subway Sanwich.....that was just great.  Now I'm back in California, and I miss all the BBQ's and other cusines of Thailand.  Take care....ha ha ha ha ha :o

ahhh.  what a life.

hey. when you get back again, let's do the bbq buffet. hope your trip back was ok. I feel like doing an oiishi run too.