Bookmarks

Kringle

Try looking here:

C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Sometimes a new profile gets created and all the settings from the original "vanish". If there's more than one then switch profiles and they should come back.

cv

Go to windows explorer and search for bookmarks.html

I found it in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile

If you find it, click on it and see if it's your missing bookmarks.

If you find more than one keep them both and tell me the results of the search and I'll tell you how to fix it.

I also found a few articles in Mozillazine that fit your problem.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...1250164#1250164

cv

cdnvic, I found 5 with the Yahoo emblem and "Yahoo! Bookmarks", 1 with the Yahoo emblem and just "Bookmarks" and 1 other with firefox emblem with "Bookmarks.html"

this last one is the only one with MozillaFirefox\defaults\profile in it.

Thanks cdnvic

cdnvic, I found 5 with the Yahoo emblem and "Yahoo! Bookmarks", 1 with the Yahoo emblem and just "Bookmarks" and 1 other with firefox emblem with "Bookmarks.html"

this last one is the only one with MozillaFirefox\defaults\profile in it.

Thanks cdnvic

If your bookmarks aren't on that one with the firefox emblem on it then I'm afraid they're gone. :o (sorry)

To keep this from happening again copy that same file to 'my documents' or some other folder periodicly (after re-adding bookmarks), then if you lose the bookmarks again simply copy that one back into the firefox folder and the bookmarks will reappear.

Look in your history to see if any of the pages you had bookmarked are still there, then re-bookmark them.

Good luck

cv

Had some kind of warning come up and said it had to close so I said OK and then when I went back to my bookmarks, they were gone. Is there any way to retrieve them?

Thanks,

Kringle

Kringle,

Hi, why not place your bookmarks on a internet site that keeps them for you always.

Check out this link, http://www.linkshelf.com/ and see if may be a solution. Also, its free! :o

They don't seem to be there but how do I look at the history to find them? Would it be better if I just pm this instead?

Thanks,

Kringle

Hit ctrl and h to get your history or click on the "go" dropdown menu up top.

Best to do it in the forum so others with the problem can learn from it.

cv

I use Firefox and have windows xp sp2 if this helps. Thanks for any help.

This is a famous bug in FireFox, the source of heated debates in the FireFox forum.

FireFox seems to delete the bookmarks file under "unknown" conditions. Very strange bug. Nobody can spot it when it happens. It seems to be random. Maybe a MS conspiracy, who knows.

Look at their support community forum, they have a sticky about "Lost bookmark Bug"

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/

Your only solution is to backup your bookmarks with the "export" function.

Edited by Butterfly

As always, TV is the first place to look to get answers. Thanks to all for your help.

cdnvic, thanks for the extra effort. It does seem I have lost them all as I don't access them on a daily basis and only one shows up in the 3 day history list. TV shows up the most but I couldn't forget this place ever.

Cheers,

Kringle :o:D

No worries. :D

As always, TV is the first place to look to get answers. Thanks to all for your help.

cdnvic, thanks for the extra effort. It does seem I have lost them all as I don't access them on a daily basis and only one shows up in the 3 day history list. TV shows up the most but I couldn't forget this place ever.

Cheers,

Kringle :o  :D