UPDATED Current Flooded Areas & Forecasts

Fully agree Rooo, despite many people not liking Windguru, in general they do give the best predictions, in my humble opinion.

Nothing wrong with Windguru, as I said they didn't show any forthcoming big storms. This is why I asked where did they get that info from & quote the source.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anyone notice the big land slide on the road up the mountain on the way to Nathon from Maenam. It's slipped for under a new house being built hard to see what damage as can't stop on that section of road.

I hardly use WindGuru I tend to favour Accuweather. It is showing more rain and high winds from Tuesday. not trying to scaremonger anybody but lots of people were badly caught out by the last one and didn't want people to be caught out again. Best keep schtum next time then ? :blink:

What this thread is telling me loud and clear is that no one really has a clue whats going on with the weather. :D

what's amazing to me is that in every "advanced" western society i've lived in, people always complain that the meteorologist on the nightly news is always wrong. in spite of the fact that he's a trained meteorologist using advanced weather radar from a highly localized source. i wouldn't be surprised to see all these weather-men and women get together and put windguru out of business. i mean here we are living on a remote island city in a third world nation with literally hundreds of miles of open sea at our doorstep and here comes a non local source providing accurate local weather data.

just a few short months ago, any iphone weather app when requesting weather for samui would redirect to phuket weather. it's not very complicated to predict rain on a sub tropical island. i however need to know precipitation, wind speed and direction, wave heights etc. on a daily basis and have found windguru to be lacking. i suppose however that since most people using the site are concerned only for rain, that 1 out of 4 things correct can still be a perfect score.

anyone notice the big land slide on the road up the mountain on the way to Nathon from Maenam. It's slipped for under a new house being built hard to see what damage as can't stop on that section of road.

yes that happened about 3 days ago. still a massive pile of rocks needing to be cleared but i can hear some heavy equipment up on the mountain now so perhaps they have started. the morning it happened there was a line of cars nearly 1km long all stopped on the side of the road and i had no idea why, thought it was odd timing for a royal visit.

there are simply too many variables for weather predictions, that's why everyone is almost invariably wrong to some degree. that's why i prefer actual raw data rather than an interpretation.

whichever source thaivisa uses is quite specific for heavy rains today and each of the next several days yet windguru doesn't show any significant rainfall until wed and only briefly before taking a break until next sunday. it may be a small island but it is raining here steadily. weather reports are no different than politics or religion, it's either "my source (way) or the highway"

there are simply too many variables for weather predictions, that's why everyone is almost invariably wrong to some degree. that's why i prefer actual raw data rather than an interpretation.

whichever source thaivisa uses is quite specific for heavy rains today and each of the next several days yet windguru doesn't show any significant rainfall until wed and only briefly before taking a break until next sunday. it may be a small island but it is raining here steadily. weather reports are no different than politics or religion, it's either "my source (way) or the highway"

Joe it's a small island with different topography. We had passing shower this morning & nothing since, Our source does not predict heavy rains either here.

In general Thai news give you a fairly accurate picture & warnings.

Joe it's a small island with different topography. We had passing shower this morning & nothing since, Our source does not predict heavy rains either here.

In general Thai news give you a fairly accurate picture & warnings.

that's the link i was referring to. perhaps i am misinterpreting the "Heavy Rain" 3 raindrops and expectations of mm's per hour indicated on that link for every single day this week.

What this thread is telling me loud and clear is that no one really has a clue whats going on with the weather. :D

what's amazing to me is that in every "advanced" western society i've lived in, people always complain that the meteorologist on the nightly news is always wrong. in spite of the fact that he's a trained meteorologist using advanced weather radar from a highly localized source. i wouldn't be surprised to see all these weather-men and women get together and put windguru out of business. i mean here we are living on a remote island city in a third world nation with literally hundreds of miles of open sea at our doorstep and here comes a non local source providing accurate local weather data.

just a few short months ago, any iphone weather app when requesting weather for samui would redirect to phuket weather. it's not very complicated to predict rain on a sub tropical island. i however need to know precipitation, wind speed and direction, wave heights etc. on a daily basis and have found windguru to be lacking. i suppose however that since most people using the site are concerned only for rain, that 1 out of 4 things correct can still be a perfect score.

For your purpose Windguru may not be giving out enough information, fair enough, you may possibly have to look at various sites before you get your info. Do you This one ? Bouyweather.

thanks for the link limbos i will take a look at what they offer however while i don't mind paying for data i can see the high pressure sales pitch, in this case small craft advisories and hazardous conditions in what looks to be the next few days however they've been "clouded over" just enough so that you can see them there yet not providing any details unless you buy.

this entire region is still in its weather reporting infancy. regardless of the number of websites offering "local" weather reports, there just aren't enough local weather reporting stations on the ground to be effective. i know back in the states there are literally thousands of weather reporting stations,grassroots style home (typically farm) owners who maintain logs of local weather activity. wind speed and direction, barometer readings, actual rainfall total for that location etc. while they may not have sophisticated weather radar at their disposal the information they offer day in and day out is vital. i'm going to set up a rain gauge, wind sock and barometer here not just for my own use but in the hopes that more people, in various locations around the island(s) might do the same and help everyone get a much better, clearer and entirely localized idea of the weather.

I have the WindGuru app installed on my iPhone and over the past few months it has been remarkebly accurate. Ok, sometimes it misses the sudden early afternoon winds, but wind direction, wave height and direction, as well as rain all are very good predictions. Plus having it on the iPhone means I can access it at any time.

I've used windguru and accuweather at some point but for me the only good website with a descent weather map has been weather.com

here is the link below you can check it out, it even has a time line of of a few hours ago as well you can also zoom in and out on the map and see how big the storm size is.

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/THXX0046

The link goes directly to koh samui but you can still see global areas as well

Also does anyone have any idea on the conditions on the rock that fellow down on the road going to lamai, is most of the road still closed off?

I have the WindGuru app installed on my iPhone and over the past few months it has been remarkebly accurate. Ok, sometimes it misses the sudden early afternoon winds, but wind direction, wave height and direction, as well as rain all are very good predictions. Plus having it on the iPhone means I can access it at any time.

interesting, thanks. didn't know they had put out an iphone app yet. i've got probably half a dozen weather related on my iphone though and in the itunes store the windguru app rates about 2 1/2 out of 5 but i'm willing to give it a shot for S&G.

Anyone know how passable it is for visa runs heading from Samui down to the Malaysian border?

i've been watching the thai news as i have to drive to sadao tomorrow and it sounds bleak but doable. had a thai friend leave here two days ago and they had to sit on the side of the road in surat for 24 hours before heading towards krabi and taking the long long way around to go north to bkk and udon. also called some of the local visa run companies and they are running tomorrow so i'm giving it a shot. i'm definitely expecting longer travel times.

Also does anyone have any idea on the conditions on the rock that fellow down on the road going to lamai, is most of the road still closed off?

Was yesterday.

Drove to Lamai about lunch time. To get past the rocks you still had to put two wheels just off the road to get around. ( Assuming you're in a car )

Had some lunch for about an hour and on the way back there was a small team on top of one of the rocks, drilling down into it with one of those very long rock drills.

They sometimes use these for putting charges in but often also just do a line of them and split the rock. Doubt whether they will blast! But who knows!

Long job I would think. Looks like a granite rock.

Just heard from one of my security guards listening to Samui Radio that they have been blowing up the boulders in the road on way to Lamai- any updates please as i really dont fancy an island tour to get back to Lamai from Chaweng.

Many Thanks

This from Accuweather for next week. It is showing an awful lot of rain again.I just wish it would stop :(

http://www.accuweath.../forecast2.aspx

same here. steady rain coming down in bang por now and i'm supposed to be driving to malaysia tomorrow.

Accuweather is everything except accurate... See today!

Just saying...

Using the map of http://www.windfinder.com/forecasts/wind_southeast_asia_akt.htm

AND

windguru

is the way to go, according to me :)

Just heard from one of my security guards listening to Samui Radio that they have been blowing up the boulders in the road on way to Lamai- any updates please as i really dont fancy an island tour to get back to Lamai from Chaweng.

Many Thanks

The rocks are indeed being jackhammered apart,

but it will probably take a couple of days before they are gone completely.

I was by there today, and they had just started working on it.

There was some people taking photos so there should be some posted soon,

for you to see, though it's not progressing very fast.

Police were there this evening directing traffic to some degree.

Hope this was helpful.

This from Accuweather for next week. It is showing an awful lot of rain again.I just wish it would stop :(

http://www.accuweath.../forecast2.aspx

same here. steady rain coming down in bang por now and i'm supposed to be driving to malaysia tomorrow.

Accuweather is everything except accurate... See today!

Just saying...

Using the map of http://www.windfinde...st_asia_akt.htm

AND

windguru

is the way to go, according to me :)

There seems to be a lot of people spreading rumors about us getting hit again and it being worse or last for the whole month of April.

I've personally checked with intellicast. com and http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48550.html?MR=1,'>http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48550.html?MR=1,

and yeah I see we might get rain each day leading up to the 10th, but nothing like what we just got.

In fact on the 9th is the heavyest currently rated at being water equivalent of 1.57 mm,

but other than that everyday rates in at less than water equivalent of 0.36 mm.

I've asked some of these people to tell me where they saw this other storm coming in on us this coming week,

and no one has been able to produce a site for me to view, as I'm now doing for all of you.

It's nice to have a heads up on what's coming as long as it can be backed up with some sort of real intel,

and I have yet to see it anywhere from the various sites I've viewed.

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48550.html?MR=1

may or mayn't be the best form of information, but it was and has been accurate as far as weather forecast go,

thus far, so I have no reason to not believe what they have posted going forward.