Welcome To Our New Advertiser The Olde Bell

bazmlb

We would like to welcome The Olde Bell as a new advertiser to the Chiang Mai forum. The Olde Bell is also now the new home of Thaivisa in Chiang Mai and will host the next Chiang Mai Thaivisa Party to be announced shortly.

The Olde Bell is traditional English pub on Loi Kroh rd, 300m from the moat and just next door to the Raming Lodge Hotel. It serves a variety of meals including British, Indian, Italian, Chinese and Thai dishes from 10am to midnight.

I's great to be back! to paraphrase America's finest writer: Mark Twain 'Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!'! Millwall_fan will make the occasional appearance in the ensuing months!. I'm leaving promotion of The Olde Bell to the Pub itself and have promised to be fairly responsible poster!!

We are very proud to have been selected as the new Chiang Mai home of Thai Visa.com The Olde Bell has been working in association with Thai Visa for about a year now and we are delighted to upgrade that sponsorship. For those of you who don't know us, I am an overweight, overbearing, underpaid Welshman and my co-host and wife is the real brains of the outfit. Her name is most appropriate for the landlady of a pub as she's called Beer!

The Olde Bell is now in its 5th year and sets out to be a traditional British Pub serving beer and good pub grub to the ex pat community in Chiang Mai as well as to visiting tourists. We try to recreate the best in British/Australian pub atmosphere where anyone can enjoy a pie and a pint and chat about any subject under the sun except for negative comments about the Welsh Rugby Union or Millwall Football Club.

We show all the paltry televised sport offerings that we can find a signal for in this country . In practice at the moment that means Premiership Football, Formula 1, Heineken Cup Rugby and Aussie Rules. We have two (un)True boxes and WETV so can show most of what is available!

We've got a good quality pool table and a dart board and stock recent copies of English, Scottish, Australian, Canadian and NZ newspapers and Asian Lonely Planet guides for you to read whilst having your Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner if you don't want to chat!

If you want to get to know us better, why not pop in? Tomorrow night (Thursday 4th November) we're starting our Members Night. This entitles our regulars to a 15% discount on all food, drinks and merchandise every Thursday (normally our Gold Card gives you 10%) Tomorrow night there's a free buffet. Or you could come to see us on Friday Night. Friday 5th November is of course Guy Fawkes night and we're putting on a Free BBQ for customers starting at 7pm with fireworks at 9pm.

We are open from 9am to after midnight and we hope you'll be able to drop in and see us soon!

Edited by bazmlb
Font changed to standard for easier reading

I have never been, I have heard good things, I am just a little leery because of the reputation Loi Kroh Rd. has.

Just ignore Loi Kroh Road or just say "Good Evening madam" to those Young Belles who try to grab your attention and eventually the contents of your wallet whilst pretending to be the woman of your life. I ignore them every time and meander down the road to The Olde Bell (occasionally) who serve a nice bottle of Lao Dark, the nearest thing you'll get to English Beer. Now if I don't go to the OB, then Marco's restaurant is great for some nice food or further down La Terrasse, a french bistro serving more upmarket stuff. Lots of reasons to go down this road, it's not all girlies and in any case, they are not in your face like Pattaya or Nana environs. But the OB is well worth a visit. Very nice and friendly and comfortable.

Been there, done that on a couple of trips to CM. Had early morning food one day and saw an old fella settle down with a beer and a book in the corner, called back in the afternoon, yup, the old guy was still there, not sure if it was the same book, or come to it the same beer rolleyes.gif

I have never been, I have heard good things, I am just a little leery because of the reputation Loi Kroh Rd. has.

Just ignore Loi Kroh Road or just say "Good Evening madam" to those Young Belles who try to grab your attention and eventually the contents of your wallet whilst pretending to be the woman of your life. I ignore them every time and meander down the road to The Olde Bell (occasionally) who serve a nice bottle of Lao Dark, the nearest thing you'll get to English Beer. Now if I don't go to the OB, then Marco's restaurant is great for some nice food or further down La Terrasse, a french bistro serving more upmarket stuff. Lots of reasons to go down this road, it's not all girlies and in any case, they are not in your face like Pattaya or Nana environs. But the OB is well worth a visit. Very nice and friendly and comfortable.

As well as the Chiang Mai saloon, a branch of Gecko books, photographic shops, legit massage parlours [as well as the dodgy ones :ph34r: ] a temple, some clothes shops etc etc. It's not exactly pattaya :whistling:

Loi Kroh Rd is slowly shedding its seedy image and apart from a few aggressive khatoeys, best ignored, must be one of the least threatening 'girlie bar' streets in the world. As anonymouse says, most of the businesses are legit nowadays. and nothing wrong with the lady bars that are left, they all add to the rich tapestry that make up this street!!

Been there, done that on a couple of trips to CM. Had early morning food one day and saw an old fella settle down with a beer and a book in the corner, called back in the afternoon, yup, the old guy was still there, not sure if it was the same book, or come to it the same beer rolleyes.gif

I didn't realise I was under observation, but if you must know, It was a different book, but the same beer. Day before my pension came through :annoyed:

I didn't realise I was under observation, but if you must know, It was a different book, but the same beer. Day before my pension came through :annoyed:

There is always someone watching.

There is always someone watching.

And always a bookstore willing to sell a book :)

Edited by harrry

It was more likely to be the same beer than the same book!!! One old American chap used to come in everyday, buy my basic 85 baht breakfast each day and worked his way through half the contents of my bookshop!! It's supposed to be just that a book shop but he was such a nice old guy that I let him carry on! Don't know what happened to him. That happens when you run a pub in Chiang Mai - people come and go much more regularly than in a pub back home.

Hosting the Thai Visa party should put the Olde Bell on the map. Wouldn't class myself as a regular but have enjoyed a pint in there from time to time with their delicous cheese platter. Welcome back :)

You mustn't get out too regularly, as The Olde Bell has been well and truly on the Chiang Mai map for over 4 years.

If this new move boosts this already exceptionally friendly place, about as authentic as a British pub can be around here, I will be delighted. Mein host and his missis thoroughly deserve it.

For me, the place has everything except parking - for anything more than a Honda Dream. I recommend the enormous car park of DK Books, an invigorating walk downhill from the moat, or conversley a tired crawl back up after your are full. But even if you are late and the barriers are closed, a smile, a polite wai and a 20b note to the DK security man buys your vehicle its freedom.

Lastly, re the annual thaivisa 'do', may I ask why people walk around (I have heard) with their posting names on their chests? I thought that part of the fun here was to be anonymous?

If I promise to omit your final 'e', is it ok with you if I walk around with 'Anonymous' on my tits?