Suvarnabhumi Airport Railway Link: Special Report

webfact

Special Report: Airport Railway Link

Airport Railway Link’s new route, or phase 2, is under construction even though its date of completion has yet to be finalized. The new route is expected to help promote Thailand as an aviation hub in the Southeast Asian Region.

On August 23, 2010, Thailand's long-awaited project has finally opened its door to the public. Suvarnabhumi Airport Link has officially commenced its long-overdue regular services between the Airport and downtown Bangkok. The line, owned and operated by State Railway of Thailand (SRT), has been built by a consortium of B Grimm, STECON, and Siemens at the cost of 25.9 billion baht.

The Airport Link's City Line runs every 15 minutes, and the Express Line every 30 minutes. Both lines operate from 6am to midnight daily. The trains have a maximum speed of 160 kilometres per hour. Airport Link connects Bangkok and Suvarnabhumi International Airport via two different lines: City Line and Airport Express Line. City Line stops at every station between Phayathai Station and Airport Station, whereas Express Line offers a non-stop service from Makkasan Station to the airport and vice versa. Makkasan Station is also called a City Air Terminal, as airline check-in counters will be set up there.

The Airport Link can serve up to 50,000 passengers a day, generating revenue of one million baht daily. It is also believed that the Airport Railway Link will help lower pollution in the city and make life easier for the public.

The second phase, part of the SRT's Dark Red line, which starts from Phaya Thai North to Don Mueng airport via Bang Sue, is now under construction. The construction has been supported by the Japanese government, which has granted a 24-billion-baht loan to Thailand for the project.

Japan has granted the loan to Thailand on account of the latter's being a member of the ASEAN+3. Japan has also been a key player in the development of the Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS), of which members comprise Cambodia, China, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam. The member countries have signed several cooperation accords on a number of areas including trade, tourism, telecommunications, transportation, energy, and environment.

Suvarnabhumi International Airport is a key transit point for international travelers into the Indo-China peninsula. Apart from full-service airlines, budget carriers have also been using Bangkok as a hub. Currently, the Airport handles more than 260,000 domestic and international flights every year, or an average of 76 flights per hour, making it one of the busiest airports in Southeast Asia. Suvarnabhumi Airport also responds to the government’s policy of making Thailand an aviation hub in Southeast Asia. The Airport Rail link will enable passengers arriving at Suvarnabhumi International Airport to travel to the capital city in comfort.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-11-03 footer_n.gif

Interesting news; I had no idea about the second line being built. Still can't see the point of the first one, though. Taxis are now much more orderly with the kiosk and less touts and while singles or couples may prefer the train, taxis may be cheaper and more convenient for families or those with lots of luggage.

Well, if I have a lot of luggage I find the taxis very unsuited. Half their trunk space is taken away by the gas tank and the normal Toyota Altis is not a big car to begin with. I don't like my luggage hanging halfway out of the trunk, especially in the rainy season.

Airport limousines are maybe bigger cars, but again most have a gas tank in the trunk. Besides this, they are quite expensive.

This is one problem, this airport has not solved in my view: Transportation to the city when you have a lot of luggage.

Well, if I have a lot of luggage I find the taxis very unsuited. Half their trunk space is taken away by the gas tank and the normal Toyota Altis is not a big car to begin with. I don't like my luggage hanging halfway out of the trunk, especially in the rainy season.

Airport limousines are maybe bigger cars, but again most have a gas tank in the trunk. Besides this, they are quite expensive.

This is one problem, this airport has not solved in my view: Transportation to the city when you have a lot of luggage.

I don't think it matters which international airport you land at if you have a load of luggage you are going to find it difficult. The AOT limo's are expensive but for passengers with a lot of luggage then they put you into a "Hackney Cab".

As a solo traveler with a single bag and living within walking distance of a station I found the service to be excellent. Having to taxi to a station, carrying luggage or traveling with a friend would have made the train pointless though.

Worst and most outdated airport in the world. 50+ years behind the times. Railway may be new but the airport is outdated. Build a modern one where the planes dock at the airport and not 3 kms from it. Bulldoze the old outdated bangkok airport then build something modern inline with the train.

I live just 10 minutes or less walk from the City Line station at Phya Thai and usually travel with just a computer bag for day trips to several regional countries.

Again and again, I encounter many passengers, mostly tourists, who have boarded at Phya Thai (City Line) then discovered they are not on the express service.

Often they panic and get off at the Makkasan station to transfer to the express service.

I made the same mistake on my first trip and changed at Makkasan to discover transfer is very complicated and If I wasn't able to speak Thai I would probably still be lost at the Makkasan station.

Several times I've encountered angry passengers at the airport station who are complaining bitterly and there is no attempt to listen.

On arrival at Phya Thai (City line) with several large pieces of luggage (probably meaning that the passenger has been confused and used the wrong line), there is no facility whatever to take luggage down on an escalator / travator or whatever. And once people get out onto Phya Thai road the same old problem of rip off taxis.

Edited by scorecard

The new City Link is a godsend.

It is not just convenient for the airport.

It is near where I stay whilst in Thailand and I can get downtown in 10 minutes whereas before would take at least an hour during rush hour.

As someone said above DM is well past it's expiry date.

I last used it in 2003 and thought it was due a face lift then, so I can imagine what it's like now.

What are the long term plans for it?

Is it still being used for domestic flights and freight?

At least the new line will give people along that route a new convenient method of transport.

Worst and most outdated airport in the world. 50+ years behind the times. Railway may be new but the airport is outdated. Build a modern one where the planes dock at the airport and not 3 kms from it. Bulldoze the old outdated bangkok airport then build something modern inline with the train.

I wonder how many people know that the airport was built to a 35 year old design (design commissioned 35 years earlier but airport not built) with no attempt to incorporate all the modern technology and perhaps even more important to incorporate all the numerous highly valuable lessons learned in that 35 year gap about airport design.

And very little work to do proper planning of supporting services, e.g. ground transport.

Why was it built so quickly with no design adjustments? One guess!

One minor detail people seem to miss. The link runs to a location from where you will be required to take a taxi anyway. So while the ride in/out will be faster, many will find they still need a taxi and will end up paying just as much as having taxi all the way.

Also the station in BKK where it takes you is always full of traffic, so whatever time you save on the train you will waste stuck in traffic.

Edited by kuffki

The new City Link is a godsend.

It is not just convenient for the airport.

It is near where I stay whilst in Thailand and I can get downtown in 10 minutes whereas before would take at least an hour during rush hour.

As someone said above DM is well past it's expiry date.

I last used it in 2003 and thought it was due a face lift then, so I can imagine what it's like now.

What are the long term plans for it?

Is it still being used for domestic flights and freight?

At least the new line will give people along that route a new convenient method of transport.

Nok Air flies from there. Looks like there is a "salvage" company operating in the cargo area. Several aircraft (white painted) with / without engines parked in the cargo area.

Previous articles have suggested DMX becoming a domestic airport to relieve some traffic from BKK, ala Haneda (HND) / Narita (NRT). Traffic into Tokyo is now so large Haneda is also an international airport again.

I live in Chiang Rai but have flown into BKK via Don Meuang and returned via Suvarnabhumi the last couple of weeks. DM looks as tired as it always has but it still functioned well and I got a great fair taxi driver to take me over to Phrom Phong in just 40 mins. The airport link at Ramhamheng is a godsend and with a quick motorcycle ride to the station I arrived happy and unstressed at SVB in 40 mins. Trains were super fast, stations were super clean and all trains were on time to the minute. The fact that it currently costs just 15 baht helped a lot and a small bag also made it easy. With Air Asia's self check in the whole process couldn't have been easier. Great news about the DM link and despite all the silly stuff (corruption etc) that will undoubtedly dog and delay the construction, I say hats off for some positive steps. Agree with all the points about luggage and lack of lifts at Phaya Thai, it could have been done and is a pretty major oversight which people will rightly gripe about.

Edited by nickjam

The City Line is great for commuters to the city from the Ram 1/Hua Mak areas, as the scores of parked cars at Hua Mak station demonstrate. Whether this continues when the fares go up is another question. At Bt15 flat, it's currently priced at the cost of traveling just one stop on the BTS, whose stations are a lot more closely spaced (about a 15-minute walk from each other) than those on the airport line.

Japan has granted the loan to Thailand on account of the latter's being a member of the ASEAN+3.

The FORMER is a member of ASEAN +3.

The LATTER is a member of ASEAN.

/nitpick

It's not wrong, Thailand is part of ASEAN +3 also as it consists of ASEAN nations, China, Japan, and South Korea

Anyway, it's great news. Awesome to see all these new mass transit lines under construction.

Should try to get the occasional SUV (Thairung) or station wagon ones. They're out there.

The second phase, part of the SRT's Dark Red line, which starts from Phaya Thai North to Don Mueng airport via Bang Sue, is now under construction.

I'm really confused. Can someone explain this to me?

As I have always understood it, the dark red line meets the subway at Bang Sue and runs north to Rangsit from there. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Airport City Link. In fact, I don't even see how anyone is supposed to get from the Airport Link to the Dark Red Line .

Does anyone have a list of the exact route and stations that are scheduled to be built for this new link? Are they proposing now that a special section will be built from Makasan to Bang Sue so commuters from Swampy to Don Muang can get to the new link? They say it starts from Phaya Thai though, which would imply you take the existing sky train heading north.

So do they mean that someone coming from Swampy would have to go:

Express link to Makasan

City Link to Phaya Thai

BTS to Mor Chit

MRT to Bang Sue

DRL to Don Muang?

What a god awful nightmare. Easier and probably cheaper just to take a taxi. By the time you've paid 5 times to 4 different operators I bet the fare will be 300 baht.

Or is the Dark Red Line now not going to Bang Sue and is going to operate as an extension from Mor Chit?

Again, if anyone has an exact route and list of stations that they are proposing I'd be interested in seeing it. I just don't understand how this is going to work, and this article sure didn't do much to explain it.

No DOWN escalators from the top platform to the street (110 steps; I counted)is an inexcusable omission, especially for a system serving an airport where passengers are likely to have heavy bags. Yes; there are elevators but guess what? the staff won't let anybody but the wheelchair bound use them: same-same the BTS which also omitted DOWN escalators at most of it's stations.

It's astounding that after spending billions of Baht building the Rail Link that they would cheap-out on such an important feature.

Does Makkahsan have down escalators? It's the only station I haven't checked out yet.

Japan has granted the loan to Thailand on account of the latter's being a member of the ASEAN+3.

/nitpick

Incorrect.

ASEAN members are all members of ASEAN + 3.

Only the 3 external members of ASEAN + 3.

are not members of ASEAN itself.

/nitpick

ASEAN member countries:

Brunei

Cambodia

Indonesia

Laos

Malaysia

Myanmar

Philippines

Singapore

Thailand

Vietnam

+3 countries:

China

Japan

Korea-Secretariat

So the OP is correct.

I wonder how many people know that the airport was built to a 35 year old design (design commissioned 35 years earlier but airport not built) with no attempt to incorporate all the modern technology and perhaps even more important to incorporate all the numerous highly valuable lessons learned in that 35 year gap about airport design.

And very little work to do proper planning of supporting services, e.g. ground transport.

Why was it built so quickly with no design adjustments? One guess!

First response to Moetown Blues

Are you talking about Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi International Airport? Su'boom was built in the early years of this century and is not at all like Don Muang - which was fine when I first visited Thailand in the mid 1970s.

Response to Scorecard

Please get your facts straight.

Although the principle of having a new airport was decided in the late 70s, the location was not decided until the 90s and the architect selected for the design (Murphy Hahn) was not selected until after the site was secured. The basis of many of the features in the airport are taken from Munich's new airport, where the NBIA dignitaries and decision makers were introduced to the typical new airport of the 21st century.

The roof of the airside 'tunnels', which was my contribution to the structure, was completely innovative and has been improved upon since (we offered to re-line the entire roof at one time, as we were dissatisfied with the final result, but Thaksin wouldn't allow any delay). The second terminal will look better than the current one, but will have the same basic features. It is mainly state of the art installations, but sometimes these were prototypes and not fully tested.

The roof of the Terminal Building, with it's supertrusses, is claimed as a triumph of Thai engineering. Unfortunately the supertrusses were designed and built in Singapore and shipped up to Thailand as completed items. I have several Philippino steel engineers as friends, who were on the project.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

One minor detail people seem to miss. The link runs to a location from where you will be required to take a taxi anyway. So while the ride in/out will be faster, many will find they still need a taxi and will end up paying just as much as having taxi all the way.

Also the station in BKK where it takes you is always full of traffic, so whatever time you save on the train you will waste stuck in traffic.

Agreed, and on top of that to get to the near subway station means hauling you luggage across Ratchadapisek!!!