British woman sentenced to life in prison for stabbing MP Stephen Timms

News_Editor

British woman sentenced to life in prison for stabbing MP Stephen Timms

2010-11-03 20:04:24 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON (BNO NEWS) -- A 21-year-old British woman who stabbed a Member of Parliament earlier this year for voting in favor of the Iraq war was sentenced to life imprisonment on Wednesday, a day after she was found guilty of attempted murder.

Roshonara Choudhry was found guilty of stabbing East Ham MP Stephen Timms twice in the stomach at his constituency surgery at The Globe community center in east London on May 14, and was sentenced to life imprisonment and ordered to serve a minimum of 15 years.

"Stephen Timms was carrying out his constituency duties as a democratically elected Member of Parliament," said Metropolitan Police Service Deputy Assistant Commissioner Stuart Osborne. "He was extremely fortunate not to have been killed. Mr Timms, like all MPs, are entitled to fulfil their role without fear of violence. There can never be any justification for anyone carrying out such an attack."

The Old Bailey jury heard that Choudhry arrived at the community center at about 2.45 p.m. local time on May 14. She spoke to a security guard in charge of the list of appointments for Timms and was asked to wait.

Timms arrived shortly afterwards, but when he left the room Choudhry asked the security guard where Timms had gone.

Timms returned to the room. Initially the security guard told Choudhry she could see the MP, but he then remembered that another woman had an appointment ahead of her.

When the other woman got up to leave at about 3.10 p.m., Choudhry moved around a desk towards Timms who thought she was coming to shake his hand, and he put his hand out accordingly.

Choudhry held out her left hand. In her right hand she was holding a kitchen knife with an approximate three-inch blade, hidden inside her bag or clothing.

She stabbed Mr Timms in the stomach, after which Timms said: 'What are you doing?' while trying to stop her. She then stabbed him in the stomach again before being restrained by the security guard. Timms's assistant took the knife away from Choudhry.

Police arrived at the community centre and arrested Choudhry before recovering from her bag a black-handled knife with a five-inch blade wrapped in a red towel.

Timms was taken to the Royal London Hospital and had surgery on two small lacerations to part of his liver and a small perforation of his stomach. His injuries were significant, but not immediately life threatening.

When interviewed by police, Choudhry said she stabbed Timms because he voted for the Iraq war and she wanted to achieve 'punishment' and 'to get revenge for the people of Iraq'.

Timms entered Parliament in 1994 as Labour's MP for Newham North East. He was re-elected to the new constituency of East Ham in May 1997.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-11-03

Two things here, firstly it was a community centre, not center, ths was in London. Secondly this is not the way constituents consulte their MP's in England, she should be deported from wence she came, but I expect she be out soon to go shopping,:angry:

Two things here, firstly it was a community centre, not center, ths was in London. Secondly this is not the way constituents consulte their MP's in England, she should be deported from wence she came, but I expect she be out soon to go shopping,:angry:

I thought she had to serve a minimummof 15. Years

I thought she had to serve a minimummof 15. Years

yes, but certain prisoners get to go on shopping trips or trips to the park, I assume this is what the poster is referring to.