2011 Kawasaki Versys Has Arrived In Thailand!

BigBikeBKK

Some pics of the Versys in front of our tent-

110710VersysCampground1SSR.jpg

110710VersysCampground3SSR.jpg

Some of the guys checking out the Versys-

110710VersysTesting3SSR.jpg

Ready to roll!

110710KawaCaravan8SSR.jpg

Pit stop-

110710VersysPitstop1SSR.jpg

My son already knows how to start the bike but here someone showed him how to twist the throttle-

110710VersysGasStopSSR.jpg

Thank goodness he can't reach the gear lever yet! 120.gif

Let the Good Times ROLL!

pb050012.jpg

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the nice pics of the new versys. Can't wait for Kawa Malaysia to release it here. Heard it will be sometime Jan 2011. I hope they bring in the ABS model.

The Versys has been available in Malaysia for since 2008, no? The 2011 model is unchanged from 2010.

There was a recent trip report about a group of Malaysian guys who rode they Versys from KL to London:

http://www.kawasaki.com.my/midx2010/index.php?gal=1#

Sounds like the bikes performed very well!

Ride On!

Tony

Tony.

The Cbu versys has been available in Malaysia for the past few years. The new 2010 model will go on sale in Jan 2011. The Cbu model cost myr52,000 otr (about thb500000). The 2010 model from Thailand will be Myr40,000 otr.

Ah Hoi and his 3 amigos made the KL London trip on 4 sponsored 2010 V. I think those units were part of the homologation units brought in by Kawasaki early this year.

Tony.

The Cbu versys has been available in Malaysia for the past few years. The new 2010 model will go on sale in Jan 2011. The Cbu model cost myr52,000 otr (about thb500000). The 2010 model from Thailand will be Myr40,000 otr.

Ah Hoi and his 3 amigos made the KL London trip on 4 sponsored 2010 V. I think those units were part of the homologation units brought in by Kawasaki early this year.

Ah! Thank you for the clarification. I guess "Cbu" is the older model Versys? That explains why I wasn't able to source 2010 model Versys suspension components from Malaysia for my ER6n! How nice that you'll soon be able to buy the new model at a significantly lower price! Ride On! Tony

Yes Tony, the CBU Japan Versys sold in Malaysia right up to today is the PRE 2010 model. Just last weekened, kawasaki had a dealers launch for the 2010 Versys, KLX250 Fuel Injected, D-tracker 250 Fuel Injected.

They have set a price and are taking bookings now. Delivery is expected to be in Jan 2011. The malaysia V will only be available in black and WITHOUT ABS. (a real bummer).

The Versys in Malaysia is not a volume bike due the price. Original replacement components are available at Kawasaki malaysia and they come from Thailand.

The after market parts are also available here thru the respective brand representatives. Nevertheless, I do not think they sell them in volumes.

Ben

Tony.

Ah! Thank you for the clarification. I guess "Cbu" is the older model Versys? That explains why I wasn't able to source 2010 model Versys suspension components from Malaysia for my ER6n! How nice that you'll soon be able to buy the new model at a significantly lower price! Ride On! Tony

Tony,

love the pics of you, your son (handsome little chap! - obviously takes after his Dad :D) and of course the V. Glad you're getting some good weather and plenty of riding in.

Roads in Samui are pretty grim in places and we've just had another night for storms and heavy rain. So, I've hardly managed to get out on my V since it arrived. Most frustrating but that's the way it is. Looking forward to dryer times soon.

All The Best

P

Tony,

What parts are you after for your ER6n?

I'm going to swap the ER6n steel swingarm for the Versys Aluminum swingarm on my track bike. (The steel swing arm is heavier and flexes too much.)

ThailandCircuitER6nRR1Sept2010SSR.jpg

Kawasaki Thailand says I should be able to buy it in the next week or two.

KA0110020056SwingarmSSR.jpg

Also contemplating swapping the forks. Very easy to do as the triple tree (steering stem) and top clamp are the same on both bikes-

KA0110020024ForksSSR.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Tony,

love the pics of you, your son (handsome little chap! - obviously takes after his Dad :D) and of course the V. Glad you're getting some good weather and plenty of riding in.

Roads in Samui are pretty grim in places and we've just had another night for storms and heavy rain. So, I've hardly managed to get out on my V since it arrived. Most frustrating but that's the way it is. Looking forward to dryer times soon.

All The Best

P

Hiya P!

Bummer that the weather is dampening your ride!

I've already put 2700km on my V! :lol:

111310VersysSSR.jpg

Woohoo!

Let the Good Time ROLL!

Tony

Tony.

Nice setup you have there as a track bike. I can probably check with Kawa here for the pre 2010 swingarm but I am doubtful there will carry them. They did not sell a great number of them. Seems like it would be a back to back order should there be one.

As for the new V, the parts list will only be available after Jan 2011.

Are you able to install an upside down fork from the V to your N (think the N is normal fork)? When I had my 6f, I put in an ohlins monoshock and a pair of ohlins springs at the front, that took care of bouncing ride. I weigh 110kgs 6.1feet.

Ben

Tony,

I'm going to swap the ER6n steel swingarm for the Versys Aluminum swingarm on my track bike. (The steel swing arm is heavier and flexes too much.)

Also contemplating swapping the forks. Very easy to do as the triple tree (steering stem) and top clamp are the same on both bikes-

KA0110020024ForksSSR.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Cheers Ben,

Well, my inquiries had been to the Kawasaki shop in KL and also on some Malaysian biker forums and they all said the 2010 parts I was looking for weren't available in Malaysia. Now I know why. Anyway, now that the Versys is made here in Thailand I'll be able to buy the parts locally so it's all good! And yes, the inverted forks on the Versys will fit the ER6n no problem as the steering stem and top clamp are identical on both models.

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Tony.

Nice setup you have there as a track bike. I can probably check with Kawa here for the pre 2010 swingarm but I am doubtful there will carry them. They did not sell a great number of them. Seems like it would be a back to back order should there be one.

As for the new V, the parts list will only be available after Jan 2011.

Are you able to install an upside down fork from the V to your N (think the N is normal fork)? When I had my 6f, I put in an ohlins monoshock and a pair of ohlins springs at the front, that took care of bouncing ride. I weigh 110kgs 6.1feet.

Ben

Tony,

KA0110020024ForksSSR.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Tony.

Let me know the price of the versys inverted fork when you get them. I am sure many of my friends on the n and f would be interested to have them.

You surely clocked some serious kms on your 10day old v. I only did 1800kms on my month old z1000.

Now I am looking forward to jan 2011 and to be able to ride the new v.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Tony, won't the wheelbase be shorter? Which is good. Only half a degree castor but 6mm difference in trail.

Versys ABS FRAME Type Diamond, high-tensile steel Wheel travel: front 150 mm rear 145 mm Tyre: front 120/70ZR17M/C (58W) rear 160/60ZR17M/C (69W) Caster (rake) 25° Trail 108 mm Steering angle (left/right) 35° / 35°

ER6n FRAME Type Diamond, high-tensile steel Wheel travel: front 120 mm rear 130 mm Tyre: front 120/70ZR17M/C (58W) rear 160/60ZR17M/C (69W) Caster (rake) 24.5° Trail 102 mm Steering angle (left/right) 32° / 32°

The F800GS and the new F650GS are both 798cc parallel twins although the earlier F650s were 650 singles. JG also had the 650 single a few years back, changes his bikes more than his socks.

Yeah, the F800GS is supposed to be more powerful than the Versys but when I rode JG's last week I just couldn't feel it... The Beemer has incredible suspension, comfort and handling, but my butt dyno says it has less power than the Kawa 650... Of course as it's a beemer and only has a couple thousand km on the odometer maybe it's just not broken in yet and will improve over time?

Maybe your butt dyno needs to be re-calibrated? Supposedly the F800GS has 85HP @ 7,500 rpm and 60ftlb torque and the Versys has 63HP and 45ftlb torque both at 8,000rpm. All a bit academic really when you can buy 3 Versys for the price of 1 F800. The new Triumph Tiger 800 should be interesting 100BHP, 65ftlb torque, 185kg. Think it is the current 675 motor with a longer stroke. Just have to see how ridiculously priced it is here.

Well yeah, that's why I remain a bit puzzled regarding the F800GS I rode. To be honest, it felt like it was restricted or something. Ian Bungy described the F800GS as very easy to power wheelie in first but when I was riding around on JG's with a near empty tank and scooting way back onto the pillion seat I still could not get the front wheel off the ground in first without using the clutch... As I pondered earlier, maybe it's not broken in yet and still running tight? I don't know how else to explain it...

The new Triumph Tiger 800 is going to be a F800GS killer!

Top-2.jpg

More power and less weight than the Beemer! Wonder what the price tag will be in Thailand... :lol:

Ride On!

Tony

Think we both know the answer to that $$$$$$$$!

Interesting article in June issue of Bike magazine. Group test with Versys, F800GS, KTM 690 Duke and Aprilia Dorsoduro. Reckoned the Versys was the best of the bunch (and easier to get on the back wheel than the BM, so not just you Tony). Some interesting performance figures as well. Versys SS 1/4 mile 13.8 seconds at 99mph, top speed 114mph. Made an interesting comparison with another bike from 1990 SS 1/4 mile 13.7 seconds at 99mph, top speed 113mph. Other bike was a TDR250, no reflection on the Versys the TDR had a 2 stroke twin engine nicked from the TZR and re-worked. Wicked little bikes and a hoot to ride. They also made 5 very good points about the Versys :-

1. As agile as a GSXR 750. On a kart track it was more agile.

2. As naughty as a Street Triple-easier to wheelie.

3. Last longer than a Tiger-Longer tank range.

4.The space of a GTR1400- same amount of room as the Kawa sports tourer.

5. As quick as an R6- Obviously not top end speed but you don't have to go fast to be quick. 40-100mph roll on for the R6 13.4 seconds for the Versys 13.9 seconds. R6 maybe faster time but by the time you stomp down 2 gears and twist the throttle the Kwak will be well ahead.

Versys was the winner of the test followed closely by the BMW. But given the prices in Thailand you could buy 2 new Versys and still have 250,000B in your pocket to make 1 of them an off-roader. If Kawasaki had bikes available a few years ago I would have bought one but Yamaha was the first Jap manufacturer to offer big bikes.

The F800GS and the new F650GS are both 798cc parallel twins although the earlier F650s were 650 singles. JG also had the 650 single a few years back, changes his bikes more than his socks.

Yeah, the F800GS is supposed to be more powerful than the Versys but when I rode JG's last week I just couldn't feel it... The Beemer has incredible suspension, comfort and handling, but my butt dyno says it has less power than the Kawa 650... Of course as it's a beemer and only has a couple thousand km on the odometer maybe it's just not broken in yet and will improve over time?

Maybe your butt dyno needs to be re-calibrated? Supposedly the F800GS has 85HP @ 7,500 rpm and 60ftlb torque and the Versys has 63HP and 45ftlb torque both at 8,000rpm. All a bit academic really when you can buy 3 Versys for the price of 1 F800. The new Triumph Tiger 800 should be interesting 100BHP, 65ftlb torque, 185kg. Think it is the current 675 motor with a longer stroke. Just have to see how ridiculously priced it is here.

Think we both know the answer to that $$!

Interesting article in June issue of Bike magazine. Group test with Versys, F800GS, KTM 690 Duke and Aprilia Dorsoduro. Reckoned the Versys was the best of the bunch (and easier to get on the back wheel than the BM, so not just you Tony). Some interesting performance figures as well. Versys SS 1/4 mile 13.8 seconds at 99mph, top speed 114mph. Made an interesting comparison with another bike from 1990 SS 1/4 mile 13.7 seconds at 99mph, top speed 113mph. Other bike was a TDR250, no reflection on the Versys the TDR had a 2 stroke twin engine nicked from the TZR and re-worked. Wicked little bikes and a hoot to ride. They also made 5 very good points about the Versys :-

1. As agile as a GSXR 750. On a kart track it was more agile.

2. As naughty as a Street Triple-easier to wheelie.

3. Last longer than a Tiger-Longer tank range.

4.The space of a GTR1400- same amount of room as the Kawa sports tourer.

5. As quick as an R6- Obviously not top end speed but you don't have to go fast to be quick. 40-100mph roll on for the R6 13.4 seconds for the Versys 13.9 seconds. R6 maybe faster time but by the time you stomp down 2 gears and twist the throttle the Kwak will be well ahead.

Versys was the winner of the test followed closely by the BMW. But given the prices in Thailand you could buy 2 new Versys and still have 250,000B in your pocket to make 1 of them an off-roader. If Kawasaki had bikes available a few years ago I would have bought one but Yamaha was the first Jap manufacturer to offer big bikes.

Wow! Cool review! Thanks very much for sharing! Loving the V- it's the PERFECT bike at a perfect price for touring SE Asia IMO. Hoping to take the V to the track next week to see what she's capable of. Ride On! Tony

Hope Nikster won't mind if I copy his post from GT Rider:

Some pix from the magazine which is partially available here: http://issuu.com/tony33/docs/jun10

Screenshot2010-11-16at155357.png?t=1289898005

Screenshot2010-11-16at155650.png?t=1289898046

The Versys beat all the others but to be fair, it beat the F800GS on price so that was a factor. Of course in Thailand the Kawasakis would automatically win everything as soon as price is a factor icon_wink.gif

Too bad the whole article isn't available online, would love to read it.

Anyone know if there's anyplace in Bangkok that sells BIKE magazine? I'd like to pick up a copy and read this article.

Cheers!

Tony

just noticed the new Ducati Monster 796 arriving in Jan.

Hi @Sonkind,

...maybe you should start a new "Ducati Monster arriving in Thailand" thread...;)

I'm sure the Duke would be cool. I quite fancied a Hypermotard 796 (which curiously is 803cc!) but for me it's always the same problem here in LOS - I can't swallow the price including import duty! What price is the Monster expected to be? Bit of a shortage of Dealer network for my tastes too..

P

Edited by ThePedroDB

Hi @Sonkind,

...maybe you should start a new "Ducati Monster arriving in Thailand" thread...;)

I'm sure the Duke would be cool. I quite fancied a Hypermotard 796 (which curiously is 803cc!) but for me it's always the same problem here in LOS - I can't swallow the price including import duty! What price is the Monster expected to be? Bit of a shortage of Dealer network for my tastes too..

P

whatever happens to you kwaker, its repaired with original parts in one week, usually in 2 days, at a dealer near you.

all the others, +3 months at extreme prices

even the yammys, officially sold for a couple of years now

Hi @Sonkind,

P

I checked with them yesterday and was told that if you pre order now its 599000 and 629000 there after, 1st batch is apparently coming in Jan and the Second one is arriving March.

Still paying the same as I would for a MV Augusta in South Africa for a monster in LOS does not make all warm and fuzzy inside. Does anyone know where the Versys mau be available for immediate purchase? My local dealer in Bangkok has 24 back orders and I will only get the bike in March again.

whatever happens to you kwaker, its repaired with original parts in one week, usually in 2 days, at a dealer near you.

Never had any major damage, but for scratched panels, lights, clutch levers and so on average repair time at Kawa CM was about 1 hour from the time I got there :P they always had everything in stock. Then again, Kawa CM is awesome ;)

Edited by nikster

Does anyone know where the Versys may be available for immediate purchase?

@Sonkind. Tricky question. There is a possibility that some dealers have stock remaining from their original allocation. If so, you could try phoning round or getting your local dealer to do this on your behalf. I recall Tony (BigBikeBKK) recounting a similar shortage when the ER6-n was released and people were having most success getting bikes from dealers in the North East. You could start there.

Best Of Luck!

P

I've been out of town for a couple of weeks so missed the first batch of Vs - was told by Ramazaki last week that it would be January before they could deliver me a bike. Rang round the dealers and could get a V in Phuket ex stock - I pick it up this week, and they still have one had one left though not sure if this is still the case. The next best option was Pattaya for an early to mid December delivery.

At least the ride from Phuket back to Bangkok will see it pretty much run in.

Cheers.

Love the Versys, but as said to high for me. But I understand that the Kawa dealer in BKK as one with a gel-seating. And I was told by the Kawa dealer in Pattaya that they have orderd 4 gel-seats. At the moment Kawa Pattaya does not have a Versys in stock. I ordered now it would take 3 to 4 weeks to deliver. Of course you have to pay deposit.

So I made a test-drive on the ER-6n. Nice engine, good power but for me a shit driving position. Also I think the handling of the bike is made for pure on-road fast driving. Difficult to go in the trafic of Pattaya.

The Kawa dealer had still ER-6n's in stock (Black & Red) and 1 second-hand (Black, 220k).

But still thinking of buying & lowering a Versys ....

Is there anyone in Thailand that bought a 2011-Versys and lowerd it? I Would love to test sit it.

2011 Kawasaki Versys Bike Cam Video taken yesterday in Petchabun, Thailand!

Kawasaki Versys GoPro Bike Cam Video- Highway 12 East Towards LomSak, Thailand 11-28-10

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

It's really a pity that i wasn't able to do any riding this weekend and likely the coming weeks too. Love the video, but is this the indicator that disturbs the view? Maybe consider another place for the cam? I liked the one which also showed the Tach/speedo.

cheers,

mbox

Ahhh.. Tony, how jealous I am. I dream of blue skies and open roads like that. Looks fab!

Samui is drier but still grey skies and some big rain downpours. I'm spending my last few days dodging partial floods and piles of sand in the road. I think it's Gods way of telling me I need to move...

Enjoy & continue to Ride On!!

P