2011 Kawasaki Versys Has Arrived In Thailand!

BigBikeBKK

Yoall,

There is a buzz coming from my Versys dash :annoyed: . On the net I can only find poeple with the same problem that ride the older model Versys.

Anybody who bought their Versys in LOS (latest model) has the same problem? Did you fix it?

Cheerio,

nick

Just curious. Have you put any of the little wide angle mirrors on the regular mirrors of your bike? I put two on mine and later the bike developed a buzz that I could not locate. Later, though trial and error, I found that the small mirrors are vibrating and that is causing the sound. But to sit on the bike and hear it, you would never guess it is coming from somewhere high, like the mirrors. Sounds like it is centered on the bike and much further down.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yoall,

There is a buzz coming from my Versys dash :annoyed: . On the net I can only find poeple with the same problem that ride the older model Versys.

Anybody who bought their Versys in LOS (latest model) has the same problem? Did you fix it?

Cheerio,

nick

Just curious. Have you put any of the little wide angle mirrors on the regular mirrors of your bike? I put two on mine and later the bike developed a buzz that I could not locate. Later, though trial and error, I found that the small mirrors are vibrating and that is causing the sound. But to sit on the bike and hear it, you would never guess it is coming from somewhere high, like the mirrors. Sounds like it is centered on the bike and much further down.

Haven't changed anything close to the dash area. The buzzing started at around 1000km on the odo.

Yoall,

Cheerio,

nick

Haven't changed anything close to the dash area. The buzzing started at around 1000km on the odo.

A lot of ER6n owners had the same problem with buzzing from the dash. Kawasaki's solution was to take apart the dash and apply foam stickers to eliminate the vibration. Worked for me. Can't say I've noticed any vibration on my Versys yet.

Hey, so I've had a couple inquiries about whether the Ninja 650R / ER6n race rearsets will fit on the Versys, so finally made some time to check it out-

Sorry to report that the RH mounting points on the Versys are NOT the same as on the 2009+ Ninja 650R / ER6n.

Left side bolts on no problem:

IMG_1074ssr.jpg

(Rainy season here in Thailand- please forgive the filthy bike icon_mrgreen.gif)

Right side with stock stay removed:

IMG_1076ssr.jpg

The distance between mounting points on the Versys is 5 1/2 inches:

IMG_1077ssr.jpg

The distance between the mounting points on the 2009+ Ninja 650R / ER6n is 5 7/8 inch.

So it's close, but won't fit:

IMG_1079ssr.jpg

I believe the older generation 650R / ER6n shares the same right side mounting points with the Versys. If they do, then one could use older generation rearsets on their Versys.

I may see if I can have a set custom made for my bike, just for fun. (don't worry- they will NOT be GOLD! icon_lol.gif) Will post pics if/when I get them done.

Ride On!

Tony

If they'd put a 21" front wheel on it, it would have been a 1/2 decent adventure bike. It's needs a conversion to be useful as an adventure bike, a pretend adventure bike in its current state. the KLR 650 makes much more sense here, but kawa wont market it as the Thai's are too short.

If they'd put a 21" front wheel on it, it would have been a 1/2 decent adventure bike. It's needs a conversion to be useful as an adventure bike, a pretend adventure bike in its current state. the KLR 650 makes much more sense here, but kawa wont market it as the Thai's are too short.

Hey Phil,

Nice to see you on ThaiVisa.

The Versys is not an adventure bike, it's a road bike. In fact Kawasaki calls it a sport bike. Really it's just an ER6n / Ninja 650R with upgraded suspension that can handle a bit of rough stuff along the way.

FYI the KLR 650 isn't sold in Thailand because it's still carbureted and won't pass Thai emissions.

The 35 inch seat height of the KLR is 2 inches taller than the Versys which may prove daunting to the vertically challenged, but as with the Versys there are many solutions for lowering the bike so your racist "Thai's are too short" argument falls a bit flat.

Happy Trails!

Nice to see you here to Tony,

The short thing wasn't referring to you by the way, i hope no offense taken. It wasn't a racist comment a factual one about demographical size.

I think a couple of guys in Chiang Mai have already sold their Versys as they were disappointed with performance and its Adventure ability and bought Triumph Scramblers and are very pleased with the choice they made.

" that can handle a bit of rough stuff along the way. ' - er, this surly means adventure biike!

Hey Phil,

The Versys is not an adventure bike, it's a road bike. In fact Kawasaki calls it a sport bike. Really it's just an ER6n / Ninja 650R with upgraded suspension that can handle a bit of rough stuff along the way.

FYI the KLR 650 isn't sold in Thailand because it's still carbureted and won't pass Thai emissions.

The 35 inch seat height of the KLR is 2 inches taller than the Versys which may prove daunting to the vertically challenged, but as with the Versys there are many solutions for lowering the bike so your racist "Thai's are too short" argument falls a bit flat.

Happy Trails!

Edited by RidersCnx

Seeing that a few Malaysian guys rode their Versys from KL to London, I am sure that they are capable of some hard use...

My main concern these days are the low exhaust, how will that cope with the flood season? can it be modified to be higher?

I think of the Versys as a long touring machine, not offroad, but touring... for that I am sure it is better than the ER6N- and Ninja...

"Seeing that a few Malaysian guys rode their Versys from KL to London, I am sure that they are capable of some hard use... "

several people have ridden Honda wave's around the world

Seeing that a few Malaysian guys rode their Versys from KL to London, I am sure that they are capable of some hard use...

My main concern these days are the low exhaust, how will that cope with the flood season? can it be modified to be higher?

I think of the Versys as a long touring machine, not offroad, but touring... for that I am sure it is better than the ER6N- and Ninja...

Nice to see you here to Tony,

The short thing wasn't referring to you by the way, i hope no offense taken. It wasn't a racist comment a factual one about demographical size.

I think a couple of guys in Chiang Mai have already sold their Versys as they were disappointed with performance and its Adventure ability and bought Triumph Scramblers and are very pleased with the choice they made.

" that can handle a bit of rough stuff along the way. ' - er, this surly means adventure biike!

Hey Phil,

Happy Trails!

It's always nice to see how people join a forum and then right away start making statements without having read trough the pages

"Seeing that a few Malaysian guys rode their Versys from KL to London, I am sure that they are capable of some hard use... "

several people have ridden Honda wave's around the world

Are you telling me that you think that a Honda Wave is not a solid strong and reliable motorbike??? You can go anywhere on that thing!!! I would not be surprised to find a honda wave deep in the amazon jungle!!!

Back to the point here... The Versys might not be the best offroading machine out there (how much does the BMW cost?), but for what you pay it is probably one of the best buys you have out there. It is not a sports bike- or a streetfighter- or a muscle bike--- guess it leaves touring then, does all things well, but nothing perfect- kind of a jack of all trades...

Back to the point here... The Versys might not be the best offroading machine out there (how much does the BMW cost?), but for what you pay it is probably one of the best buys you have out there. It is not a sports bike- or a streetfighter- or a muscle bike--- guess it leaves touring then, does all things well, but nothing perfect- kind of a jack of all trades...

^ +1 Exactly!

The Versys, weighing just over 200kg, is certainly not a dirt bike, though people have modded it for off road use:

VersysToughSSR.jpg

It's a bit tall and underpowered to be called a sports bike though it does surprisingly well on the track:

VersysBIRADec18thSSR.jpg

As the name implies, the Versys is a versatile general purpose touring bike. Up to you what you want to do with it.

If you want a Kawasaki adventure bike then the KLR650 is probably a better choice, but as mentioned earlier it's not sold in Thailand.

Here in Thailand with limited selection of models and imported motorcycle prices being what they are the domestically produced Kawasaki Versys, priced at 285k Baht costs less than half of similar bikes like the BMW F800GS and Triumph Tiger 800 and many reviewers actually choose the cheap Kwacker over the pricey European imports.

How lucky we are to be in Thailand at a time when the bike scene is growing by leaps and bounds and more and more brands and models are becoming available every year.

Let the Good Times Roll!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

i think you only promote this because you sell aftermarket parts for it, loaded content me thinks.

^ +1 Exactly!

The Versys, weighing just over 200kg, is certainly not a dirt bike, though people have modded it for off road use:

VersysToughSSR.jpg

It's a bit tall and underpowered to be called a sports bike though it does surprisingly well on the track:

VersysBIRADec18thSSR.jpg

As the name implies, the Versys is a versatile general purpose touring bike. Up to you what you want to do with it.

If you want a Kawasaki adventure bike then the KLR650 is probably a better choice, but as mentioned earlier it's not sold in Thailand.

Here in Thailand with limited selection of models and imported motorcycle prices being what they are the domestically produced Kawasaki Versys, priced at 285k Baht costs less than half of similar bikes like the BMW F800GS and Triumph Tiger 800 and many reviewers actually choose the cheap Kwacker over the pricey European imports.

How lucky we are to be in Thailand at a time when the bike scene is growing by leaps and bounds and more and more brands and models are becoming available every year.

Let the Good Times Roll!

Promote what? They are just talking about the Versys bike. I believe you could learn a lot from Tony. He has been sharing a lot of good info on many bikes on this and many other forums.

Yes he sells parts but I also know that he has solved many people's problems when they needed parts for their bikes.

Come on man be positive :jap:

i think you only promote this because you sell aftermarket parts for it, loaded content me thinks.

^ +1 Exactly!

VersysToughSSR.jpg

VersysBIRADec18thSSR.jpg

Let the Good Times Roll!

because he's made a business selling aftermarket parts specifically for this model of bike, he promotes the hell out of it to get customers

Promote what? They are just talking about the Versys bike. I believe you could learn a lot from Tony. He has been sharing a lot of good info on many bikes on this and many other forums.

Yes he sells parts but I also know that he has solved many people's problems when they needed parts for their bikes.

Come on man be positive :jap:

^ +1 Exactly!

VersysToughSSR.jpg

VersysBIRADec18thSSR.jpg

Let the Good Times Roll!

Edited by RidersCnx

because he's made a business selling aftermarket parts specifically for this model of bike, he promotes the hell out of it to get customers

RidersCnx, you need to chill out. As mentioned many times by other forum members, life is all about choice. If you don't approve of Tony's posts then click to another subject. many people know what Tony does for a living but he has never forced his stuff on anyone, just given advice as and when people ask.

From what i can see from my local Kawasaki dealer the Versys is selling very well with many happy customers. Yes the Triumph and BMW are maybe better equipped for dedicated offroad journeys but the Versys ticks a lot of the boxes for what the guys living in LOS need, especially value for money.

Leave the stone throwing to kids and just enjoy your riding whatever you ride and wherever it takes you

@RidersCnx cut it out, that's silly stuff. What did Tony do to you?

This is a thread about the Versys. It's read by many people - including myself - who own the Versys. Those people are likely to have a certain affinity for the bike, given that they have actually bought one. If we didn't think this was a great bike, we wouldn't have spent nearly 300k baht on one!

Maybe we can leave the Kindergarden stuff behind us now and get back to the Versys.

It would take some modifications to make an offroad bike out of the versys, but if you mod it into something like a F800GS - e.g a touring bike that is capable of some light off-roading - you'll end up still paying less than half. So I'd say it's still a good deal. Another pretty important consideration is availability and price of parts. Kawasaki cannot be beat at that in Thailand. With BMW, you wait 3 weeks for a part - if you're lucky - and you pay import prices on parts that are very dear to begin with. Kawasaki in CM has most parts in stock, and they're Thai made and dirt cheap.

I once scratched 80% of the panels on my D-Tracker, and bent the shifter and the clutch lever. The grand total: 2,500 baht! And it's all in stock and 1 hour later I rode off with a new bike. Imagine that on a BMW. Several weeks later you'd be 10k or 20k baht poorer....

I am using the Versys as a road bike only, I think it's pretty much perfect for touring the mountains here in the north. All the bikes I can think of that I'd like to have, I can only imagine buying in addition to, not as a replacement for the V. I'd say this bike does everything, and most of it really well.

KLR650 has the same seat height as the KLX250 which is available and sellling well here, can't only be farang buying them!

Edited by skybluestu

How much would it cost to change the exhaust on the versys to fold up on the side- just so i could safely ride during rainy reason- not in the flood but when it rains hard it is almost impossible to find a dry road home...

Tony- since you sell the parts- how long time would it take to put them on? And price?

I will buy the bike in september... And i need the exhaust a little higher than standard...

Any advice and help would be greatly welcomed-

How much would it cost to change the exhaust on the versys to fold up on the side- just so i could safely ride during rainy reason- not in the flood but when it rains hard it is almost impossible to find a dry road home...

Tony- since you sell the parts- how long time would it take to put them on? And price?

I will buy the bike in september... And i need the exhaust a little higher than standard...

I think you're worrying about nothing. If the bike couldn't ride in heavy rain that would be a major design flaw which would have been sorted by now. I think Kawasaki know what they're doing enough that it wont' break down when it rains hard, otherwise they'd have moved the pipe as you're planning to do.

I think you're worrying about nothing. If the bike couldn't ride in heavy rain that would be a major design flaw which would have been sorted by now. I think Kawasaki know what they're doing enough that it wont' break down when it rains hard, otherwise they'd have moved the pipe as you're planning to do.

I guess he meant when the roads are actually flooded. I doubt they'd flood enough to give the V problems. But if you're thinking about river crossings and so on, probably a good idea to get a pipe fitted to it... there was a picture of an ADV conversion Versys somewhere in this forum, it had the high exhaust.

Stock, the Versys is meant for the road but probably way easier to convert to an adventure bike than, say... a harley. Separate post on that :)

I guess he meant when the roads are actually flooded. I doubt they'd flood enough to give the V problems. But if you're thinking about river crossings and so on, probably a good idea to get a pipe fitted to it... there was a picture of an ADV conversion Versys somewhere in this forum, it had the high exhaust.

Stock, the Versys is meant for the road but probably way easier to convert to an adventure bike than, say... a harley. Separate post on that :)

Hmmm, he said "not in the flood but when it rains hard" which makes me think it's everyday riding on the roads around Phuket that he's worried about. I agree it's a bit of a weird design for an all-purpose bike that could potentially be ridden in the rough stuff, across rivers etc then maybe the low exhaust would be a problem. But heavy rain on a few back roads on Phuket? I'd have thought the bike would be in it's element in that type of environment. My Nouvo never broke down in 2 years/16000 kms of Phuket rain, semi-flooded roads, mud, hills, potholes etc so I'd be amazed if the Versys had problems on the same roads.

I'm guessing one of the chop shops could fabricate something, wouldn't recommend it though.

Sorry but i dont live in phuket- and believe me- the streets in this city floods during the rain storms... Difference between rain flood and proper flood/river crossings...

I would feel more comfortable with a pipe that was higher than the average puddle we have during rainy season- if you know what i mean...

Nouvo and cbr and baby ninja- cbr, has all got higher pipes than this bike so some kind of modification should be possible...

I will still get it in september- but planning a few upgrades... Trip to bangers in october... Modify!

Not like the cbr i have now!

Any clue where the high exhaust could be bought and for how much?

As far as aftermarket exhausts go, anything that will fit the ER6n / Ninja 650R will also fit the Versys as the exhaust headers (with the exception of the cross tube) and exhaust mounting points are the same on all three models.

There are a few aftermarket pipes that mount off to the side, more like traditional exhausts. Most common one I see here in Thailand is Yoshimura.

IMG_0808-vi.jpg

Those retail for around ~22-23k Baht. More if you want Carbon Fiber.

I've also seen plenty of custom jobs- high mounted TWO BROS, Zard, Termignoni, etc.

DSCF1714sss.jpg

All you need to do is find a good muffler shop that can make the connecting pipes for you and you can mount your muffler anyplace you like.

Personally I think you're worrying unnecessarily about the exhaust placement. As mentioned earlier, a car or a bike can run with exhaust submerged- just keep the revs up. If the water is so deep it reaches your airbox then you've got a problem.

Ride On!

Tony

Personally I think you're worrying unnecessarily about the exhaust placement. As mentioned earlier, a car or a bike can run with exhaust submerged- just keep the revs up. If the water is so deep it reaches your airbox then you've got a problem.

Ride On!

Tony

yepp

moving over to the car world, Toyota Fortuner can wade in 70 cm of water, but exhaust pipe ends at 45cm over ground

what matters if engine stops, is at what height exhaust exits engine, IOW how high for water to enter engines combustionchamber. This is higher on Versys engine than most 650cc bikes.

I find the ER6/Versys/Ninja650 can postition most practical, almost impossibel to get burned :)

• 3 weeks later...

Are there things for the Versys that should be bought in the West? I'm in the US now and wondering whether some things are so much cheaper or more likely so hard to get that I should buy them now before I buy my versys in Thailand?

Are there things for the Versys that should be bought in the West? I'm in the US now and wondering whether some things are so much cheaper or more likely so hard to get that I should buy them now before I buy my versys in Thailand?

What do you want to buy? aftermarket parts or genuine parts.... if aftermarket then YES they are generally cheaper in the US.

What do you want to buy? aftermarket parts or genuine parts.... if aftermarket then YES they are generally cheaper in the US.

I was thinking of a rear trunk and side saddlebags - would the dealers here have that for the Versys and would it be comparably priced to the US? And little things like a brake lock/alarm (might be able to get a better one in the US - more selection??), BMW tubeless tire plugger, wax, repair kit, side guards, cigarette adapter, a tank bag.

Anything else I'm missing to outfit a versys?

I'm not sure what makes sense to buy original or aftermarket to be honest as this is my first bike (other than a scooter) in about 15 years; although I rented a versys in thailand for 3 days.

I was thinking of a rear trunk and side saddlebags - would the dealers here have that for the Versys and would it be comparably priced to the US? And little things like a brake lock/alarm (might be able to get a better one in the US - more selection??), BMW tubeless tire plugger, wax, repair kit, side guards, cigarette adapter, a tank bag.

Anything else I'm missing to outfit a versys?

I'm not sure what makes sense to buy original or aftermarket to be honest as this is my first bike (other than a scooter) in about 15 years; although I rented a versys in thailand for 3 days.

Generally speaking many of the items you've listed can be found cheaper (sometimes a LOT cheaper) in the US. But depending on what airline you fly I'm guessing you'll be well over the baggage allowance if you try to check in all the items you've listed and you may be surprised at how high the excess baggage fees can be... Sometimes it's cheaper to mail things from the US to Thailand via USPS than to pay the exorbitant excess baggage fees that many airlines like to charge these days. Just a thought :jap:

These items can be purchased in Thailand for not a lot of money: tubeless tire plugger, wax, repair kit, side guards, cigarette adapter, a tank bag.

Here's something you should perhaps add to your list: BRAKE PADS.

I'm quite fond of EBC and they are WAY cheaper in the US than from any retailer here in Thailand.

You haven't mentioned anything about riding gear- if you don't already have a good helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, etc you can find a much wider selection at much lower prices in the US.

Ride On!

Tony