Sick With The Flu

Lost in LOS

I have had the latest flu going around. Coughing up lots of yellow Flem from throat, same from nose, bubbling from lungs when breathing hard or laying down. Headaches, lethargic etc, wont go away. I had it for two weeks now, a week ago I went to the doc [practiced in America for many years and he gave me what he called a massive shot of antibiotics in my butt, [not penicillin but don't remember the name, felt like a massive doeset and took a long time to inject. then he gave me what look like horse pills, antibiotic called Avumox to take three times a day. He said I had bronchitis. After the big shot I felt a bit better next couple of days but it is still not going away and I am still coughing up lots. I have been getting lots of rest but to no avail.

My friend has exactly the same symptoms but went to the hospital instead, they said bronchitis Sounds like the same deal. The gave him a really powerful antibiotic in pill form, starts with an A but cant remember name, a different one than I got. He is still sick a week after the hospital visit just like me

any body else have this? How did you get rid of it or did you? Suggestions needed

thanks in advance

Pick up some Redoxan (Vit C + zinc) at any pharmacy and take one a day for a few days, may help and certainly can't hurt. Try ot stay away from air poluution to the extebnt feasible (hope you don;t live in Bkk or CM!)

Did you have a chest Xray?

How long a course of antibiotic were you given (I think it was cavumox not avumox, yes?)

And do you have fever?

Pick up some Redoxan (Vit C + zinc) at any pharmacy and take one a day for a few days, may help and certainly can't hurt. Try ot stay away from air poluution to the extebnt feasible (hope you don;t live in Bkk or CM!)

How long a course of antibiotic were you given (I think it was cavumox not avumox, yes?)

And do you have fever?

Hi Sheryl , I too have the same symptoms, dry rasping cough , lots of gungy phlegm , and wheezing in my breathing , I am today starting a 7 day course of `amoxin `400 , can I take these in conjunction with `redoxan ` ? thank you for your most informed imput .

Redoxan is a vitamin/mineral supplement, not an antibiotic. No problem to combine, but as with all meds, best to space apart a little bit.

The Redoxan is Zinc plus Vit C. Zinc has been shown to shorten the duration and reduce the severity of respiratory infections. Evidence on Vit C is contradictory but it surely won't hurt.

Zinc lozenges are better still but don't seem to be available here.

And do you have fever?

[/quote

yes it was cavumox for 10 days, 3x a day. Just wont go away. my friend I spoke of has it for 5 weeks now and it wont go away. I know about the zinc, too bad they dont have it here. do we just have to ride it out through its course, hope not, but it is looking that way

thanks for the help

Edited by Lost in LOS

Actually Bangkok air quality is not all that bad - the days of black carbon covering the streets were long ago.

http://www.pcd.go.th...kok/Default.cfm

http://www.pcd.go.th...nal/Default.cfm

Assuming the figs. are accurate, it is still way above safe levels. Even mild smog is enough to provoke symptoms and it is an unrelenting problem. And the stufft that does the damage is invisible. Further Bangkok, throws up a coincidence of factors, eg strong sunlight, local direct polution such as chilli fumes, and wild weather changes.

Ok, you may not live here, or suffer from allergies, so wouldn't know, but how else would the respiratory problems in Bkk and Chiang Mai be explained.? When I am out on the street in Din Daeng say, and my nose starts running, or I go in a coughing fit, perhaps notice that my eye is red that evning, I guess I'll start treatment for 'Scotch mist poisoning'. (joke)

Certainly in BKK at the moment there is one extremely hard virus doing the rounds, that basically feels like a 4 week dry cold and attacks the bronchials quite severely. both myself and my girlfriend had it, and it does feel very flu like. In short it really hurt.

I think the mod is right and you need more treatment as this may have gone bacterial.

If it is bronchitis that you have then it can take weeks to recover from,i had bronchitis before and had to undergo many visits to my doctor and chest xrays and also the doctor had to change my antibiotics several times until i finally became well again,it also made me very tired/powerless just even walking a few steps,so i would go and see your doctor often,get well soon..

If it is bronchitis that you have then it can take weeks to recover from,i had bronchitis before and had to undergo many visits to my doctor and chest xrays and also the doctor had to change my antibiotics several times until i finally became well again,it also made me very tired/powerless just even walking a few steps,so i would go and see your doctor often,get well soon..

same things must be going around here also ; oldest was fairly sick finely went to the doc on the kibbutz and was told: why did u come here, take two paracetamol and drink plenty of fluids" (she's not a complainer so wsnt pleased but not much to do about that, socialized medicine); youngest is asthamtic so ive started her on her buticort inhalor and she is also got the phlegm coughing etc so getting ventolin... doc's comment: lungs are clear. (gee thanx for the info)... and also he told us that 'the flu has not arrived here (israel) yet so no worries..." (like flu is a person that steps off the plane and checks in at a hotel)...

sheryl is that zinc stuff good asa prophalactic for kids like my asthmatic girl? she's got the flu shot already (she's on the clinic's requred list) but any viral bacterial anything that goes around, she gets it... am willing to get her vitamin supplements that arent covered by our med clinic if it really has effectiveness, and isnt counter indicated for ritilin and buticort/ventolin/loratidine users (as needed, not daily)....

bina

israel

A friend's got something similar in the UK. Seems to be doing the rounds at the moment.

Yes, it is here and in Europe too.

Got it just when I arrived back here, so it means that I brought it with me. Was sick a little more than 3 weeks, with the same symptoms.

As long as it is the flu (and it is in the beginning!), you cannot do nothing but take just some medecine that helps you with the symptoms (and maybe a lot of vitamins to help you fight it).

But, if it becomes bacterial, then you have to see the doctor and get the right antibiotics (get a blood test).

You should check the website of OMS (that is in french Organisation Mondiale de la Santé). Must be World Health Organization, I suppose. They explain everything about it and the risks of bronchitis (that is the most commun complication of this flu).

You will read there too that if you have bronchitis you absolutely must see your doctor!

Hope you get well soon!

(Sorry for my poor english).