Hi Farang People

smb

welcome smb.  i hope you enjoy your stay.

actually farang does not strictly mean white person, it means foreigner in a general sense.  while all white persons would generally be refered to as farang, some non-white persons (such as myself - i'm oriental asian) have also been refered to as farang by thai people (although probably less frequently).  it's not a very straight-forward notion and like thailand, can often seem contradictory.

I have to agree with thedude. I'm African American myself, and I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've been called "Farang" many Thai's, from friends to bargirls to Taxi drivers, of all classes and occupations , from different parts of the country. I even know of an African American Retired Expat that is referred to "Farang" by his own wife! I often asked my Thai friends why they call me that , and they more or less tell me that the word may have been originally ment "White/European", but the meaning and usage seems to be evolving more toward "Western / Foreigner", regardless of the color. Thai, like other languages, has words that are constantly evolving from their original meanings in response to present usages. " Farang" is more or less associated now with "White person" just because most Westerners in Thailand at present are of the "European" variety. But when the number and population of Non-White Westerners, Indian and Middle Easterners and mixed-race "Oriental" Asians increase in Thailand, especially in the next 50-100 years, the word "Farang" will most likely be used as an all-around name to decribe them.

Anyway, enoug of that!

Welcome SMB!

It's always good to get another veiwpoint ( especially Middle Eastern ) here!

:o

welcome smb.  i hope you enjoy your stay.

actually farang does not strictly mean white person, it means foreigner in a general sense.  while all white persons would generally be refered to as farang, some non-white persons (such as myself - i'm oriental asian) have also been refered to as farang by thai people (although probably less frequently).  it's not a very straight-forward notion and like thailand, can often seem contradictory.

I have to agree with thedude. I'm African American myself, and I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've been called "Farang" many Thai's, from friends to bargirls to Taxi drivers, of all classes and occupations , from different parts of the country. I even know of an African American Retired Expat that is referred to "Farang" by his own wife! I often asked my Thai friends why they call me that , and they more or less tell me that the word may have been originally ment "White/European", but the meaning and usage seems to be evolving more toward "Western / Foreigner", regardless of the color. Thai, like other languages, has words that are constantly evolving from their original meanings in response to present usages. " Farang" is more or less associated now with "White person" just because most Westerners in Thailand at present are of the "European" variety. But when the number and population of Non-White Westerners, Indian and Middle Easterners and mixed-race "Oriental" Asians increase in Thailand, especially in the next 50-100 years, the word "Farang" will most likely be used as an all-around name to decribe them.

Anyway, enoug of that!

Welcome SMB!

It's always good to get another veiwpoint ( especially Middle Eastern ) here!

:D

That is right even in the Middle East there are some words evolved from its original meaning I think this is happening in all languages coz the world is becoming smaller.

thanks and im glad to be here with u all and ready to give u my viewpoint or middle eastern point of view in anything u wish to talk about .its true that in still young but I have lived in alot of different countries and that helped me to understand things more

(i hope) >>>>:o:)

Hi SMB,

Since you are in the Gems Business ,Perhaps you would like to sponsor our Thaivisa.com Football team :o

Farangs

Accourding to My Thai Friends...the word farangs are meant for all foreigner in Thailand....excluding Cambodian,Lao,Viet....

Edited by tytus

Hi SMB,

Since you are in the Gems Business ,Perhaps you would like to sponsor our Thaivisa.com Football team  :o

Farangs

Accourding to My Thai Friends...the word farangs are meant for all foreigner in Thailand....excluding Cambodian,Lao,Viet....

:D im still on the first step .remind me after 10 years i might be able to. looool :D

then am i considerd farang?cool

its good to see farangs like me then :D