Earthquake rattles southern California

News_Editor

Earthquake rattles southern California

2010-11-05 02:45:05 GMT+7 (ICT)

OCOTILLO, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) -- A light 4.6-magnitude earthquake struck 9 miles (14 kilometers) north of Ocotillo in southern California on Thursday, according to the California Integrated Seismic Network.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-11-05

I was in Santa Cruz California during a 4.6 earthquake (no, not the bigger one that knocked out the Bay Bridge). It was near midnight, I jumped out of bed, and stood facing a wall with my hands out as if singing 'halleluyah' and my heart beating like a mammoth hummingbird's. 4.6 is not big shakes, but it can sure wake you up if you're at its epicenter. BTW, Santa Cruz sits by the sea on soggy clay and sand underpinnings.

I was in Santa Cruz California during a 4.6 earthquake (no, not the bigger one that knocked out the Bay Bridge). It was near midnight, I jumped out of bed, and stood facing a wall with my hands out as if singing 'halleluyah' and my heart beating like a mammoth hummingbird's. 4.6 is not big shakes, but it can sure wake you up if you're at its epicenter. BTW, Santa Cruz sits by the sea on soggy clay and sand underpinnings.

Hum. I bought a house in Santa Cruz California in 1976. I still own it and I visit my house once in a while, I don't rent it out. I was there for the big one, a 7.1... A 4.6 quake may wake me, but I doubt I would get out of bed. And by the way you are somewhat incorrect about the area's geology. There are some small pockets that are in low lying areas, like around where the San Lorenzo river was diverted away from the Beach Boardwalk area. Most of the damage done in downtown SC was because of unreinforced brick buildings. Most of SC County is an old sea terrace. I have found layers of fossilized clam shells in the mountains above Aptos, where the epicenter was. There are areas up in Scotts Valley where they mine sand and people find fossilized sharks teeth. My house is on the same level and area as the Santa Cruz Mission that was built out of the local clay and it is still there, after the 1906 and 1989 quakes. My redwood and barn and house was built before the 1906 earthquake that destroyed San Francisco. My neighbors sidewalk has stamps in the cement from the contractor who built it, that are dated 1908. My sidewalk is way older. My land was deeded in the 1880's... But if a real quake ever hit Bangkok, I certainly wouldn't want to be there! The Marina district of San Francisco was much more heavily damaged by the 1989 quake than most of Santa Cruz County was. Because it was built on bay fill land and the epicenter was in Nisene Marks State Park in Aptos, Santa Cruz County California, 70 miles or more to the south of San Francisco... Thank goodness I was in Cambodia the day of the Indonesian 9.1 quake and Tsunami here in 2004.

Edited by Jimi007