Police Problems

therealmrbrightside

I got stopped on beach road a few days ago driving my GSXR 750. I didn't have my drivers licence on me and i was in a hurry home from work.

The police after taking a 400THB back-hander on top of the 600THB fine for no documents DROPPED MY fuc_kING BIKE.

Broken Fairing, foot peg bent, and exhaust scratched to oblivion.

The problem is i din't spot this until i returned home and saw damage.

Is there anything i can do to claim compensation money without proof or should i just start firebombing?

Stoooopid....if they dropped it while you were there...why did you not notice the damage and check it ?

Your fault...your stooopidity.

Guess you knew that, thats why you crying here.

I wasn't there when they dropped it , do you think i would be asking this question if i had witnessed it?

I didn't spot it because i didn't look. It's not something i would consider when the police have my bike in their posession. But i know for sure it was when i was in the police station. All i am asking is how they would react or is it worth while even making a complaint or try for compensation or simply repair.

YES i am crying on here because i am gutted, thanks for your sympathy anyway Nawtier. Give me a shout if ever you need a shoulder to cry on - and i'll tell you to ram it.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

I doubt anything will be done, but I would for sure go back there and point it out to them. Can't hurt and it may make you feel better. Just don't get loud and angry with them right off the bat or they will shut down and just not deal with you. I would TRY to be as polite as possible...at first...if nothing happens, then it really doesn't matter...go at em'!

While not an answer to your question, i have always been told to carry all documents at all time, on a large bike like that you are always going to be a target,hopefully you have a Thai license? whats the point of having a license if your not going to carry it.

If you had, you would not have had any problem, i know this does not help, but i think you have to put it down to experience, the hope of a claim are nil, i would say

See the bright side of it, think if you spotted that straight away and complained with him, given his actions obviously he wasn't in such a good mood that day and he could have reacted by let you have a suicide on the spot by accident by using his gun...sound hylarious yes, but when you read the news you see such things REALLY happen, so i am glad you are still with us to write about your experiences :jap:

Chalk it up to experience. In mine, the less dealings you have with the Pattaya cops; the better..

Just remember to keep all your docs in order when you're out on the bike. You're just a cash cow .:bah:

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

That's bang out of order,how far from soi 9 were you when stopped(how long were you at the station, they took your keys right?) 600 sounds about right, (my TGF paid that for no license no tax no helmet ect) But why did you pay the 400 on top of the official fine. Sounds to me like they had a spin and dropped it, you could try asking local merchants if they saw anyting bit of a long shot.

Sergeant: "According the to report, the damage was sustained while you were resisting address. At the same time you sustained a fractured skull."

Complainant: "What fractured skull?"

THWACK!!!

Sergeant: "That one"

Oh what cynism. The guy broke the law and the law won. Should have known better.

What would have happened if you were stopped in your home country with no license or documents?

Barry

In the UK you would be required to produce you documents at your local station within 7 days. Traffic police have access to instant verification of whether you and/or your vehicle have insurance.

Stoooopid....if they dropped it while you were there...why did you not notice the damage and check it ?

Your fault...your stooopidity.

Guess you knew that, thats why you crying here.

I wasn't there when they dropped it , do you think i would be asking this question if i had witnessed it?

I didn't spot it because i didn't look. It's not something i would consider when the police have my bike in their posession. But i know for sure it was when i was in the police station. All i am asking is how they would react or is it worth while even making a complaint or try for compensation or simply repair.

YES i am crying on here because i am gutted, thanks for your sympathy anyway Nawtier. Give me a shout if ever you need a shoulder to cry on - and i'll tell you to ram it.

sorry for your woes mate. just thinking maybe (apart from carrying your docs) you could have chained the bike up to a post and gave the bibs your padlock key rather than your ignition key before heading to the station?

or had you maybe upset them in other ways already?

What would have happened if you were stopped in your home country with no license or documents?

Barry

maybe he would post the question on a forum in his home country .... duh :blink: anyway, if they did damage the bike back in Europe, i'm sure there are avenues to claim whereas here you have zero chance so not sure if your just stupid or being sarcastic :huh:

Edited by William Osborne

Barry

In the UK you would be required to produce you documents at your local station within 7 days. Traffic police have access to instant verification of whether you and/or your vehicle have insurance.

If you didn't carry any ID, how would they know who you are to access the "instant verification"? Do they check photos in their database?

That's bang out of order,how far from soi 9 were you when stopped(how long were you at the station, they took your keys right?) 600 sounds about right, (my TGF paid that for no license no tax no helmet ect) But why did you pay the 400 on top of the official fine. Sounds to me like they had a spin and dropped it, you could try asking local merchants if they saw anyting bit of a long shot.

I also would like to know why he paid them a 400 baht backhander in addition to the fine at the cop station. It should be one or the other, not both.

You lose.

I've seen those morons drop several bikes as they put them into trucks over the years. The owner never sees it.

You got caught not having your docs, they broke your bike, another day in Thailand. As much as it sucks, at least your bike was there when you came for it. I know one guy who lost his motorcycle. We are falang, we ALWAYS lose here. Even when we win, we lose.

Yeah, I would be well pissed off too.

I don't think you have much chance of getting far with a complaint though, no witness, a day later, etc.

I doubt someone will come forward if they did indeed witness something. They would be at the mercy the cops then.

I don't live in Thailand at the moment ( Singapore ) but ride a bike every day, I always carry every document for the bike . Purchase receipt, reg. document, insurance, even a letter from the goverment transport authority confirming the after market pipes that are on the bike have been inspected and approved.

Pain in the ass I know, but if you just take as part of the bike its no hassle.

Edited by soihok

That's a pretty bad story. I think you've got no real chance of getting money out of the cops for damaging your bike. That's a one way street as far as money changing hands goes.

What you could do depending on how vindictive you feel is try and report them. You'd probably need their badge number or something, if they've got their own little patch where they pull people over it wouldn't be that hard to get a look at their badge number or name. Reporting them would probably cause them some minor problems but the problem is it would probably cause you more hassle than you would like.

Anyway it sucks that they damaged your bike, Pattaya's finest eh.

Bad luck. Some of the cops are OK, just out to make a few Baht to feed the family, but there are also a few rotten apples here who seem to delight in farang bashing for its own sake. I don't think you've got any chance at all of making a case against the cops who messed up your bike, remember that they are effectively a state-within-a-state in this country. Where else in the world would the PM fail to appoint his own choice as Head of Police because the police didn't like his choice?

I don't know how much the cost of the damage is, as you didn't mention it. If it's significant and you have good insurance, you could always tell your insurers a sad story, leaving out the bit about the cops, and see if they will fork out any cash to help you?

Never, and I mean never give the keys of your vehicle to the police even if they insist.

Park the bike in a safe place in sight of the police.

On one of my first "stoppings" I left the bike and the keys with the police in charge.

On my return, after paying the fine at the police station, the police was gone and so was my bike.

After 3 hours of searching, I went back to the police station and there came my bike, driven by a police officer.

I immediately filed a complaint against this <deleted>, but of course.............no repsonse.

On the very occassions I'm stopped now, I take the keys from the ignition before the police can do this.

Never, and I mean never give the keys of your vehicle to the police even if they insist.

This is pretty bad advice.

If you don't have your licence or ID on you, they will take your keys whether you like it or not.

How would suggest I proceed if they grab my keys? Grab them back?

That will not end well. They can be pretty aggressive and they have guns.

If you don't have a licence, the only way they can assure you'll pay the fine is by impounding your vehicle.

You're suggesting we should start an argument with the police?

Edited by tropo

Probably you were speeding (as you were in a hurry) having no papers with you and then insulting the police for fining you. So what?

Before more bold words, did you check your green book? How about a stamp on page 18? Just want to protect you from more serious trouble with your fxxxxxx bike (how comes your bike is fxxxxx?).

I made the experience that normally one does not have too many probs with the BiB. Just stay calm and friendly, but ok unless it is a 5 yo wave I would not hand over my bike to them. They store these confiscated bikes in some soi between Tai and Thepprasit.

I made the experience that normally one does not have too many probs with the BiB. Just stay calm and friendly, but ok unless it is a 5 yo wave I would not hand over my bike to them. They store these confiscated bikes in some soi between Tai and Thepprasit.

Another hero who would prefer to argue with the police.

Maybe I'm a pussy then, because if they grabbed my keys I wouldn't argue. I would immediately head down to Soi 9 and pay the fine and get back asap.

We're talking about a situation where the rider/driver doesn't have a licence on him. They have no option but to impound the vehicle until the fine is paid and there's nothing you can do.

In the tourist area they normally grab for the keys as soon as the person talks back. I've seen this many times. They are not open to discussion and come across very aggressively.

One time I was standing on the road waiting for the Princess's entourage to pass, just a few meters from my gate. I asked if I could push my bike (I don't speak Thai) to my gate. He was furious and grabbed my keys. I suppose the heros on here would have argued the point.

In USA,UK,Oz you would have 7 days to produce docs & License.

You are in Thailand , that is their way , chalk it up to experience , a BAD one , & I empathise , but I agree with Tokay , even if you were to win any part of this you would lose & that would be a sure Bet.

:jap: .

This is pretty bad advice.

If you don't have your licence or ID on you, they will take your keys whether you like it or not.

How would suggest I proceed if they grab my keys? Grab them back?

That will not end well. They can be pretty aggressive and they have guns.

If you don't have a licence, the only way they can assure you'll pay the fine is by impounding your vehicle.

You're suggesting we should start an argument with the police?

You didn't read my reply. Take the keys from the ignition before they can do it.

Then prk the bike on a safe place in sight of the police.

Get the ticket and tell the police to stay put.

Police has no right what so ever to impound anything unless there is a reason for it. (accident, murder, ......)

A THB 300 is absolutely no reason.

If you didn't carry any ID, how would they know who you are to access the "instant verification"? Do they check photos in their database?

It's the vehicle that is insured not the driver. Insurers submit policy details to a central system, so the police know the insurance cover. who is the registered keeper, owner and who else is entitled to drive it before they even get out of the patrol vehicle. They will also call up the registerd owner/keeper's driivng licence details including photo. If you are not that person they will call up the photo etc. of whoever you claim to be.

If the police are not convinced, perhaps the driver acts shifty or the 17 year old skinhead with the hoodie don't resemble the 83 year old grandmother the vehicle is registered to, then they will take him in. Otherwise produce docs. But you don't specifically need to carry licence and insurance at all times. However, that day may one day come. :(