Police Problems

therealmrbrightside

Never, and I mean never give the keys of your vehicle to the police even if they insist.

Park the bike in a safe place in sight of the police.

This is pretty bad advice.

If you don't have your licence or ID on you, they will take your keys whether you like it or not.

How would suggest I proceed if they grab my keys? Grab them back?

That will not end well. They can be pretty aggressive and they have guns.

If you don't have a licence, the only way they can assure you'll pay the fine is by impounding your vehicle.

You're suggesting we should start an argument with the police?

You didn't read my reply. Take the keys from the ignition before they can do it.

Then prk the bike on a safe place in sight of the police.

Get the ticket and tell the police to stay put.

Police has no right what so ever to impound anything unless there is a reason for it. (accident, murder, ......)

A THB 300 is absolutely no reason.

You didn't read my reply.

They have a reason to hold your bike. The reason is that they want in insure that you will pay the fine.

That's why the take your licence. If you don't have a licence they will keep your bike.

The bottom line is - don't be a hero and start arguing with the police.

The place to argue about if the police have rights to do what they do is not in the street.

Yes again some pretty valid points there..If that had been in the UK they could have done a computer search and my valid license would have flashed up before their eyes. The problem i have is that my license is in another part of the country which i have pretty much way of getting back.

I will be doing my Thai bike test as soon as i have time off.. I don't use the bike very often and when i do it is rarely in Pattaya city coz the traffic as you all know is just too busy for a big bike. I commute to Ban Chang sometimes through the week and have never been stopped as i always wear the full leathers, helmet and gloves so less likely to be stopped for not wearing correct safety gear.

The damage to the bike will prob cost 10,000 Baht or so to fix, and the reason why i was charged 1000THB for no documents was because i refused to wait in the waiting room for 4 hours to pay the fine - a friendly bent police officer at the side of the road agreed to 'help' me leave quickly....kaow jai?

The ten grand repair bill is a pain in the ass.

Sorry about that.

Doubt that you would be stopped for not wearing correct safety gear though.

Normal bike gear is flip flops, shorts and a helmet that may as well be made of paper mache innit?

The ten grand repair bill is a pain in the ass.

Sorry about that.

Doubt that you would be stopped for not wearing correct safety gear though.

Normal bike gear is flip flops, shorts and a helmet that may as well be made of paper mache innit?

Yes your quite right, in pattaya that seems to be the norm, but when driving a big bike i have found that the more protective gear i wear, the less police look my way as i wheelie past them on Sukhumvit (that was a joke i've only done that once by accident)

The people who drive superbikes with shorts tee-shirts and a coconut on their head are just asking to be stopped by the police.

The people who drive superbikes with shorts tee-shirts and a coconut on their head are just asking to be stopped by the police.

I wear shorts, t-shirts and sandals when I ride a scooter. Why would the police stop superbike riders if wearing the same? Just about everyone wears the same around here. I had no idea there was a dress code.

I wear shorts, t-shirts and sandals when I ride a scooter. Why would the police stop superbike riders if wearing the same? Just about everyone wears the same around here. I had no idea there was a dress code.

No you miss my point.....people on holiday who ride superbikes in Thailand are a target for police because it portrays a certain amount of wealth and/or stupidity, and the shorts and tee shirt makes it look more like they are holiday makers thus more of a target...EVERYBODY who rides a scooter including locals only wear shorts and tee shirts so you don't stand out.

You see my point? I wear leathers, gloves and full helmet so obviously i save on injuries should i crash, but to also give the police the impression that i am not a holiday maker. ;)

Perhaps they have had their eye on you for some time, you will be sticking out from the crowd wearing full leathers.

Mate you'd be surprised the difference in doing so - when i first came over i hired big bikes and wore the shorts and tee shirts and got stopped 2-3 times a week (worst i had was 4 days on the trot on an R1 before i was advised to 'change bike coz the cops just luuuuuuv R1s' Fines varying from no documents to dangerous driving to noise pollution (bullshit) but the bottom line was i looked like a tourist with cash hiring a big bike.

And from a sensible side after witnessing so many dead people on the road from bike accidents in and around Pattaya i have finally acknowledged that if i choose to drive on that kind of bike in Thailand i need to put into perspective the chances of me still being on this planet in 1 year get smaller by the MPH....and i've only been stopped once in 3 months.

Edited by therealmrbrightside

Perhaps they have had their eye on you for some time, you will be sticking out from the crowd wearing full leathers.

Mate you'd be surprised the difference in doing so - when i first came over i hired big bikes and wore the shorts and tee shirts and got stopped 2-3 times a week (worst i had was 4 days on the trot on an R1 before i was advised to 'change bike coz the cops just luuuuuuv R1s' Fines varying from no documents to dangerous driving to noise pollution (bullshit) but the bottom line was i looked like a tourist with cash hiring a big bike.

And from a sensible side after witnessing so many dead people on the road from bike accidents in and around Pattaya i have finally acknowledged that if i choose to drive on that kind of bike in Thailand i need to put into perspective the chances of me still being on this planet in 1 year get smaller by the MPH....and i've only been stopped once in 3 months.

I got over my addiction for speed on superbikes when I was 23 after spending several months in hospital and 6 months on crutches. I'm sure that if the same accident occured in Thailand, due to the fantastic emergency services here, I would have either died or had only one leg and one disfunctional arm.

The accident happened in leathers and boots, but not on a superbike.

I got over my addiction for speed on superbikes when I was 23 after spending several months in hospital and 6 months on crutches. I'm sure that if the same accident occured in Thailand, due to the fantastic emergency services here, I would have either died or had only one leg and one disfunctional arm.

The accident happened in leathers and boots, but not on a superbike.

Yeah well i hope i am not as unfortunate as to have to rely on any emergency services - my gf would kill me if i died.

In USA,UK,Oz you would have 7 days to produce docs & License.

You are in Thailand , that is their way , chalk it up to experience , a BAD one , & I empathise , but I agree with Tokay , even if you were to win any part of this you would lose & that would be a sure Bet.

:jap: .

I think in oz now, you also have to carry your liciense with you whilst you are driving at all times.

In USA,UK,Oz you would have 7 days to produce docs & License.

You are in Thailand , that is their way , chalk it up to experience , a BAD one , & I empathise , but I agree with Tokay , even if you were to win any part of this you would lose & that would be a sure Bet.

:jap: .

There are states that will take you directly to jail if found driving without a valid license or insurance.