Carry On Baggage Question

hereforgood

I am flying Thai Air to Tokyo then ANA to SFO then UA to Las Vegas. The ticket was given to me and was gotten with United Airmiles. I am trying to figure out the carry on baggage allowed as I fly Thai first they allow only 15 Lbs. But UA which is where the flight was booked allow 50 lbs as long as it is within the size dimensions I don't want to get hit with a fee for over weight carry on and there is a big difference in 15 lbs and 50 lbs Which should I go by ?? The Thai rules as thats where I will be checking in for my first flight ? or the UA rules as thats where the ticket came from ?

Ok I just found this

Passengers traveling on United Airlines (UA) carriers are subject to United's contract of carriage, which is available for download at united.com. The contract of carriage governs matters such as:

• Check-in requirements for domestic and international travel, including information about when service may be refused;

• Limits on liability for delay, damage or loss of baggage, including fragile or perishable goods;

• Claims Restrictions, including time periods within which a passenger must file a claim or bring an action against the UA Carrier;

• The UA Carriers' rights and limits on liability for delay or failure to perform service, including schedule changes, rerouting and substitution of alternate air carrier, aircraft or mode of travel;

• Rules on overbooking and reconfirmation of reservations; and

• Baggage policies, including carry-on allowances and size and weight restrictions for checked bags.

So Thai is a UA partner are they considered a UA Carrier since the ticket came thru UA if so it would seem the UA check in rules would apply no ? Don't mean to be a pain in the ... thanks for all who help

Checked baggage rules are determined by the originating carrier. If it's a code-share flight then the rules of the airline listed on the ticket apply.

However the OP is asking about carry-on baggage. In that case you will be subject to the rules (and whims) of the gate personnel at each airport. That said, as long as your carry-on meets the size requirements of Thai, there is no chance that they will weigh your carry-on bag.

I am surprised however that United allows 50 pounds of carry-on baggage.

Carry-on baggage policies for all United travel

For worldwide travel on any United flight, you may carry on one bag and one personal item such as a purse, briefcase or laptop computer. Your carry-on bag...

must fit under your seat or in the overhead bin;

must not be more than 9 x 14 x 22 inches (23 x 35 x 56 cm) or 45 linear inches* (114 linear cm); and

may be required to travel as checked baggage if the bag cannot be safely stowed on your flight.

It says nothing about weight. Do you mean checked luggage? If so, assuming you are traveling economy, it is one bag, 23kg, 62 linear inches (158 linear cm).

I had a weird ticket my last trip. I was on 3 different airlines. None were code shares. The first leg was a feeder flight from Vegas to Portland. They honored the baggage allowance for international flights. And if you check your bag at the curb, they don't weigh it...

Checked baggage rules are determined by the originating carrier. If it's a code-share flight then the rules of the airline listed on the ticket apply.

However the OP is asking about carry-on baggage. In that case you will be subject to the rules (and whims) of the gate personnel at each airport. That said, as long as your carry-on meets the size requirements of Thai, there is no chance that they will weigh your carry-on bag.

Not a chance any carrier allows 50 lbs of carry on luggage. 18 lbs is the most I have ever heard of. Chances are it will not be weighed anyhow.

Now for checked baggage. If it is an international flight it should be 20 kilos.

For worldwide travel on any United flight, you may carry on one bag and one personal item such as a purse, briefcase or laptop computer. Your carry-on bag...

must not be more than 9 x 14 x 22 inches (23 x 35 x 56 cm) or 45 linear inches* (114 linear cm); and

may be required to travel as checked baggage if the bag cannot be safely stowed on your flight.

It says nothing about weight. Do you mean checked luggage? If so, assuming you are traveling economy, it is one bag, 23kg, 62 linear inches (158 linear cm).

I had a weird ticket my last trip. I was on 3 different airlines. None were code shares. The first leg was a feeder flight from Vegas to Portland. They honored the baggage allowance for international flights. And if you check your bag at the curb, they don't weigh it...

I got this with my Eticket from United Airlines and a call to them confirmed 50Lbs

post-21828-0-59823900-1289018827_thumb.g

It doesn't matter how much it weighs.

If it doesn't look massive, and you aren't sweating like a weight lifter ... they won't know or care!

They always weigh mine. In the US, if you are over by just 1 lb, there's a great chance you will have to pay extra. I came back in May with 4 checked bags. Each weighing a bit over 49lbs. They weighed every one, and I messed up on one. It was 52lbs. Not sure why, but luckily, I was at curbside checkin...in Vegas. Handed the guy $10. He just smiled and said "come back and see ME on your next flight, don't go inside."

I flew on Ryan Air last year. They weight everything. My friends just got back from France and had to drink a bottle of wine as they were over (not a bad thing to have to do!) I saw a girl in tears in Peru with a bag that weighed about 75lbs. AA wanted to charge her like $125. She had no money...just a backpacker on her way home after a 6 month journey of SA. They finally let her go after 10 minutes of full on tears. But I know tears won't work for me!!!!

Not a chance any carrier allows 50 lbs of carry on luggage. 18 lbs is the most I have ever heard of. Chances are it will not be weighed anyhow.

Now for checked baggage. If it is an international flight it should be 20 kilos.

I got this with my Eticket from United Airlines and a call to them confirmed 50Lbs

What would you possibly have that weighs 50 lbs and fits in those dimensions?

Edited by Gonsalviz

Your carry-on bag...

What would you possibly have that weighs 50 lbs and fits in those dimensions?

A hobbit? :lol:

My last flight on CX from Sin-Bkk two weeks ago, weight limit of cabin bag is 7kg.

http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/int/others/information/main_c_fr.html

http://www.thaiair.com/plan-your-trip/before-you-fly/en/travel-terms-and-conditions.htm

Carry on Items

In addition to the checked baggage allowance, each passenger except infant under 2 years of age not occupying seat may carry, without additional charges, one hand baggage, provided that such carry on baggage shall have a maximum length 56 cm (22 inches), width 45 cm (18 inches), depth 25 cm (10 inches). These dimensions include wheels, handles, and side pockets. The overall weight of the carry on baggage must not exceed 7 kg (15 lb).

50lbs is the standard limit on international flights to the USA. There are different regulations depending on the destination and depending on the airline. Each one is different. Usually, for international travel from Thailand to the USA, the weight limit is 50lbs. I know this for sure and have done it many times on many different airlines. And believe me, it ain't hard to pack a suitcase that weighs well over that. Linens, tools, electronics, wine bottles, etc, etc, etc.

I use to live here in Thailand, then moved back to the US, then moved back here again recently. I go back and forth with 6 suitcases when I travel with my wife. 2 carryons, and 4 checked, empty heading to the US, full coming back. All the checked items weigh 49lbs...at least that's my goal! :rolleyes:

I've never seen them weigh carryons, but they do, at times, check the dimensions.

It doesn't matter how much it weighs.

If it doesn't look massive, and you aren't sweating like a weight lifter ... they won't know or care!

They always weigh mine. In the US, if you are over by just 1 lb, there's a great chance you will have to pay extra. I came back in May with 4 checked bags. Each weighing a bit over 49lbs. They weighed every one, and I messed up on one. It was 52lbs. Not sure why, but luckily, I was at curbside checkin...in Vegas. Handed the guy $10. He just smiled and said "come back and see ME on your next flight, don't go inside."

I flew on Ryan Air last year. They weight everything. My friends just got back from France and had to drink a bottle of wine as they were over (not a bad thing to have to do!) I saw a girl in tears in Peru with a bag that weighed about 75lbs. AA wanted to charge her like $125. She had no money...just a backpacker on her way home after a 6 month journey of SA. They finally let her go after 10 minutes of full on tears. But I know tears won't work for me!!!!

We're still discussing CARRY-ON baggage. I've flown cathay pacific 30 times and have never had my carry-on baggage weighed. Even Air Asia has never weighed my carry-on bag. the only airline that I've ever heard of that weighs carry-ons on a regular basis is Spirit Air in the US

And if we're talking about Cathay Pacific's checked baggage policies, it's 23kg for each of 2 bags on their trans-Pacific flights, although I've never had a problem on the occasions I've had 25-27kgs.

Every airline is required to weigh every checked bag. They are not, however, required to charge you if you go over their limit.

It would help immensely if the OP could post the first three digits of their ticket number (016 is UA ticket stock), and the exact flight numbers.

Assuming 016 stock, UA's CoC is suitably vague on this topic...

WHERE A PASSENGER’S TICKET INDICATES UA WILL PROVIDE THE AIR

TRANSPORTATION, BUT ANOTHER CARRIER WILL OPERATE THE FLIGHT

PURSUANT TO A CODESHARE ARRANGEMENT WITH UA, THE TERMS AND

CONDITIONS UA APPLIES WILL VARY FROM THOSE SET FORTH BELOW, AND

VARY DEPENDING ON WHICH CARRIER OPERATES THE SPECIFIC CODESHARE

FLIGHT ON WHICH YOU ARE TRAVELING. THE RULES THAT ARE DIFFERENT

ON A CODESHARE FLIGHT OPERATED BY ANOTHER CARRIER ARE MARKED

BELOW WITH AN ASTERISK (*), AND THESE RULES ARE INCORPORATED

HEREIN BY REFERENCE AND FORM A PART OF THIS CONTRACT OF CARRIAGE.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE CONTRACT OF CARRIAGE RULES UA APPLIES ON

CODESHARE FLIGHTS, CONTACT UA AT 1-800-864-8331 IN THE U.S. OR CONTACT

YOUR LOCAL UNITED RESERVATIONS OFFICE.

I would contact the UA CTO* here in Bangkok to review your baggage allotment. My gut tells me you will be subject to TG's (assuming you are on TG metal BKK-NRT) international/to U.S.A. requirements are you will be checking in with them.

So two (2) pieces at 23 Kg each assuming Economy and no status...

Piece Concept

The piece concept is applied to all travels/connections to/from USA, its territories, and Canada.

Royal First Class /Royal Silk Class : Two pieces of checked baggage; the sum of the three dimensions shall not exceed 158 cms (62 inches) for each bag. The maximum weight per piece shall be not more than 32 kgs (70 lbs).

Premium Economy/Economy Class : Two pieces of checked baggage ; The sum of the three dimensions shall not exceed 158 cms (62 inches) for each bag and the maximum weight per piece shall not be more than 32 kgs (70 lbs)

Effective for ticket issued on/after December 1, 2008, maximum weight per piece shall be as follows:

Royal First Class : 32 kgs (70 lbs)

Royal Silk Class : 32 kgs (70 lbs)

Premium Economy Class : 23 kgs ( 50 lbs)

Economy Class : 23 kgs ( 50 lbs)

*UA CTO

Ticket Office

Phone: 662 353-3900

Fax: 662 353-3994

Hours of operation:

Monday – Friday : 08:00-17:00

Public holidays : 09:00-12:00

Saturday & Sunday : closed

Address:

TMB Bank Silom Building, 6th Floor, 393 Silom Road, Bangkok 10500

Thailand

All bags get weighed at check-in.

Edited by lomatopo

I feel a bit stoopid....seeing as how the OPs question was about cabin baggage, and not checked baggage.

TG's cabin baggage allowance (50 linear inches) is actually a bit more than UA's (45 linear inches).

So a standard roll-a-board plus one personal item (briefcase, purse, computer bag). I wouldn't worry about the weight of the roll-a-board as long as you are able to hoist it up into the overhead compartment on your own. I've never seen these weighed at any BKK gates.

Please note that your domestic UA flight (SFO-LAS) can potentially be quite full and UA has recently gotten more strict about carry-on bags. If you are late to the gate, or late boarding there may not be space available for your roll-a-board so you may have to gate check this. There would be no fee for this (based on your int'l itin), but do not pack any valuable items, or remember to remove them, in this bag as it will be out of your hands. There have been a lot of recent reports of theft (esp. at SFO) from gate-checked bags. Also note that while your bags will be checked through to LAS you will have to retrieve them off the belt (after Immigration) at SFO, clear Customs (exit to the left, then turn left), then drop off your checked bags, just outside Customs, with the UA personnel. Proceed to the domestic terminal, clearing TSA security and then to your LAS gate. (Assumes you have your SFO-LAS boarding pass issued at BKK, if not try to get it at the customer service desk where you drop the luggage, as the check-in lines in the main terminal might be quite long. If TG did not issue a BP you could try to get one in NRT at the CS desk near gate 31.)

18 lbs is the most I have ever heard of. Chances are it will not be weighed anyhow.

More normal to get a 10 kg (22 lbs) weight limit for the carry-on bag on international flights and 7kg on cheapos and domestics.

If weight limits are a concern, buy the biggest laptop carry bag you can find and stuff it with your heaviest small items to maximise your mule capacity. I have a big one (boasting again) and have had no difficulty porting it inside the plane along with my 7kg cabin bag (buy the lightest weight roller or a canvas bag) on all the airlines to the UK and within Thailand. Ryan Air are the only airline I know that refuse to allow both a cabin bag and a laptop bag inside, but I guess there will be others, so you should always check with any new airline you fly.