Prince Hotel Chiang Mai/Suggestions?

Merlan

I'm going to be in Chiang Mai for ten days early December. Someone mentioned the Prince hotel in the Ctr of the city.

Its around $35 Canadian per night. Anybody have any opinions or news about this plc?

I want to stay somewhere safe - , but also not quite so generic...

Love the feedback tx!

I know the Prince has been around for a long time because I used to stay there in the early 70's when I was working in Chiang Mai. I haven't stayed there since that time so don't know what kind of shape it's in now. Another good choice is the Chiang Mai Gate Hotel and depending who you book thru you should be able to get a standard room for around B1000 p/n. Go to their web site, www.chiangmaigatehotel.com or google, hotels in Chiang Mai, and you will get many choices. We will be staying there for a few days the end of November and we booked thru www.goairasia.com

and go a superior room for B1000.

Also you probably would get more responses if you post your question in the regular Chiang Mai forum.

Now moved.

BTW: I used to stay there regularly during the late 80's and it was reasonably comfortable and quiet. It is a bit of a walk to the central Thapae area but close to the Night Bazaar. Depends on where you wish to be near. Montri is where I started staying later and in the same price range but more centrally located. Good restaurant on the ground floor, free WiFi.

Nah, don't stay there, op; you'll regret it. Although not far from the centre, it's down a crappy soi and looks like <deleted>. Montri ain't bad, although is also old hat (great beds though). Lai Tai ok, if they've removed the sperm notice from the desk. Gate Hotel also ok (in new wing) but a bit far out the way and most definitely generic. The aptly-named Raming Lodge (south of Thapae and your Pince hotel) could be a good bet if you'd like to be near totty... modern and has pool, although bit more expensive. There's always the Top North Hotel, which is right by Thapae and has a pool, albeit basic.

Have a look at the Midrange offerings in Wikitravel's CM page for further clues.

Check the Montri...

its ok as generic box shape hotels go i suppose & the restaurant is, as some have already said, very good... i particularly enjoy their breakfasts & Mrs G is quite partial to their Goulash so we often pop in just for that..

however, why not save a few quid & opt for a nice guesthouse rather than a full on western style 4 walls hotel..

quite a few to choose from but Safe House Court & Lai-Thai are ones that i often recommend (in that order) when visiting friends needing somewhere central ask..

This hotel is ancient, did not refurbish, and is most certainly not worth $35.

You can do so much better. Imm Thapae hotel perhaps, or many others in that price range or slightly below.

Imm hotel at Thapae Gate (next to McDonalds is a fairly new hotel and is good and popular.Has a good breakfast and the last l heard it was about 1000 baht a night inc breakfast, Near all the main tourist areas.

Check the Montri...

its ok as generic box shape hotels go i suppose & the restaurant is, as some have already said, very good... i particularly enjoy their breakfasts & Mrs G is quite partial to their Goulash so we often pop in just for that..

however, why not save a few quid & opt for a nice guesthouse rather than a full on western style 4 walls hotel..

quite a few to choose from but Safe House Court & Lai-Thai are ones that i often recommend (in that order) when visiting friends needing somewhere central ask..

Is the Prince hotel the one that is not far from the old Escape or am I confused? huh.gif

That's the one.

It's in my 1960's Hudsons guide to Chiang Mai, doesn't appear to have changed much since.

Thanks AN - sounds like its past its sell by date. wink.gif

techno.

re ... the imm hotel ....the last l heard it was about 1000 baht a night inc breakfast,

your almost right .... yesterday ( tuesday ) a room was 1199 baht

today ..................................................999 baht

but ill bet they will go up for loy krathong : )

dave2

techno.

re ... the imm hotel ....the last l heard it was about 1000 baht a night inc breakfast,

your almost right .... yesterday ( tuesday ) a room was 1199 baht

today ..................................................999 baht

but ill bet they will go up for loy krathong : )

dave2

Egg Mc Muffin. Not bad.:D

egg-mcmuffin.jpg

I stayed at the Imm when it first opened (when it was 770 baht) and was not very impressed.

Imm Hotel might be relatively new and in a good location but its way overpriced, more like a budget hotel. There are plenty of web sites through google for hotel and up market guest houses in CM . Am sure sure you can do better

Surprised none of the old-timers mentioned the Tapae Place Hotel.

I have a friend who stays there regularly for extended periods (like 5 months at a time), and is there now.

On a soi going south off of Tapae Road, very close walking distance to everywhere downtown, but somewhat insulated from traffic noise.

Here's the link:

Tapae Place Hotel.