Torrent Downloads Capped At 100Kb?

Kimagure

I just got on a TOT line here in Bangkok, started a torrent and am getting full wire speed.

I normally use a local seed box (6 Mega-bits per second), then FTP files, so rarely use BT on local PCs, but no problems with this single sample.

If only it were the case for some of us others - the speed does come and go but it is the new and wild fluctuation that indicates to an old torrenter like myself that all is now well - today, I will say, seems a little better but last night in the early evening, I could not get above speeds of 40kbs on combined downloads - just as you were reporting all was tickety-boo. A week ago, this was not a problem...

Any other thoughts anyone!

(On a separate note, lomatopo, the local seedbox - which one and how much per month and how easy to set-up and how reliable etc! Maybe that is a separate topic? but you have my interest!)

Edited by danc

You're probably fiddling around with too many things; I do the same.

Based on your statement, I've been using the same sources for 2 years and never had this persistent problem. I know all about seeders and can't work out what's wrong., it sounds like at some point in the past you experienced acceptable torrent performance but that changed, recently?

I'm assuming you have correctly forward the appropriate port? Does uTorrent display the green check mark? If so click on it and run the tests.

Can you select a torrent, preferably a popular one with 100's or 1,000's of seeders, and then look at the "Tracker" tab and summarize the Status column.

1. Yes, I do

2. Yes, it was up-to-spec, fell a little (not enough to worry about) then dropped a week ago to pathetic.

3. Yes, green tick and I have (up to a couple of days ago always used the same, fixed port 26111 changing this to 60182 made no difference. Checked port forwarding and all appears OK (uploads are just about at full bandwidth).

4. All trackers appear on-line, I also delete the non-working trackers as a routine to save 're-check' time.

Reading on from later posts than yours, it seems there is something happening outside my little patch.

I also use The Box and, until recently, had no speed problems. I also use other tracker sources, most of which I expect to get less than stellar performance.

Yes, I'm on TOT in Pattaya. One of my friends on 3BB has had no problems. I wonder if it's to do with the 'upgrade' to 8Mb? Perhaps they are trying to shape as there is no enough bandwidth to go round.

These postings have helped greatly, I can now float my Krathong know that there's nothing I can do but wait to see if things improve.

You're probably fiddling around with too many things; I do the same.

Based on your statement, I've been using the same sources for 2 years and never had this persistent problem. I know all about seeders and can't work out what's wrong., it sounds like at some point in the past you experienced acceptable torrent performance but that changed, recently?

I'm assuming you have correctly forward the appropriate port? Does uTorrent display the green check mark? If so click on it and run the tests.

Can you select a torrent, preferably a popular one with 100's or 1,000's of seeders, and then look at the "Tracker" tab and summarize the Status column.

1. Yes, I do

2. Yes, it was up-to-spec, fell a little (not enough to worry about) then dropped a week ago to pathetic.

3. Yes, green tick and I have (up to a couple of days ago always used the same, fixed port 26111 changing this to 60182 made no difference. Checked port forwarding and all appears OK (uploads are just about at full bandwidth).

4. All trackers appear on-line, I also delete the non-working trackers as a routine to save 're-check' time.

Reading on from later posts than yours, it seems there is something happening outside my little patch.

I also use The Box and, until recently, had no speed problems. I also use other tracker sources, most of which I expect to get less than stellar performance.

Yes, I'm on TOT in Pattaya. One of my friends on 3BB has had no problems. I wonder if it's to do with the 'upgrade' to 8Mb? Perhaps they are trying to shape as there is no enough bandwidth to go round.

These postings have helped greatly, I can now float my Krathong know that there's nothing I can do but wait to see if things improve.

You are right that the upload seems about right...it is the download speeds that are the problem. What to do....patience is of course a virtue!

One of the major problems is that it's so erratic. I'm in the process of downloading a big torrent through Demonoid, and the average speed there is about 35 kbps. But I got several smaller files last night through TorrentZone and TorrentDay that ranged from the 30s right up to 144 kbps. Not great, but adequate.

However, I also went for a small upgrade of an app this morning, and as the 16.7 mb file was downloading (yes, it was small) I noticed that the speed was well above 300kbps. That was, though, I think an ftp.

I too have been friendly with the local techies who stop by. Not their fault, I know. Can't quite chat with them, as I just don't have enough Thai for that, but no blame. And they do understand the problem - show them my speedtest that has almost 5MB download, but then a torrent file with great number of seeders coming in at 35 kbps. They didn't seem to be able to figure it out, either.

So I do think it has something to do with TOT's equipment or the settings they've imposed in their own centres.

Edit: also downloading a 687 mb file through tvchaosuk and I'm lucky now to get out of single digits. True, from 3 of 3 peers, but single digits? Anything from hours to days predicted.

Edited by JusMe

Torrent downloads were slower for the last few days, but they weren't that bad for me in east Bangkok with a TOT 6Mb package.

You might try the following to see if there is a problem with the torrent or your utorrent configuration:

I recommend testing your torrent download speed by downloading an 'ideal' torrent, with a high seed to peer ratio. It doesn't matter what the file is, it's only a test so you can delete it later. Software for Windows usually have good ratios. I just tested by downloading a popular CD burning program (about 300MB) with 2099 seeds and 143 peers. My download speed was consistently 480~530 KB/s.

I then deleted this file, and tried it again with a different client (Deluge). The Deluge client actually downloaded a little bit faster than utorrent, using its preset configuration without any tweaking or port forwarding.

(Even when downloading larger files (8GB) with rather bad seed/peer ratio, availabilty, etc, I still get a steady 300~350KB DL speed.)

Oh, as the original poster of this topic, I'd just like to give an update: Things are still running smoothly. Thanks guys! Speedtests are usually around 4.5~5.5 Mb DL and 450 Mb UL on various servers outside Thailand.

(Although as I post this, I just found that TOT's own speed test is dead. I was checking it everyday and noticed the warning in red above it, "Your license will expire in 3 more days, please contact so and so." Then "2 more days", then "1 more day", and now it's a dead link. LOL, must be a bit embarrassing for an internet provider's own speedtest to expire...)

Edited by Kimagure

Torrent downloads were slower for the last few days, but they weren't that bad for me in east Bangkok with a TOT 6Mb package.

You might try the following to see if there is a problem with the torrent or your utorrent configuration:

I recommend testing your torrent download speed by downloading an 'ideal' torrent, with a high seed to peer ratio. It doesn't matter what the file is, it's only a test so you can delete it later. Software for Windows usually have good ratios. I just tested by downloading a popular CD burning program (about 300MB) with 2099 seeds and 143 peers. My download speed was consistently 480~530 KB/s.

I then deleted this file, and tried it again with a different client (Deluge). The Deluge client actually downloaded a little bit faster than utorrent, using its preset configuration without any tweaking or port forwarding.

(Even when downloading larger files (8GB) with rather bad seed/peer ratio, availabilty, etc, I still get a steady 300~350KB DL speed.)

Oh, as the original poster of this topic, I'd just like to give an update: Things are still running smoothly. Thanks guys! Speedtests are usually around 4.5~5.5 Mb DL and 450 Mb UL on various servers outside Thailand.

(Although as I post this, I just found that TOT's own speed test is dead. I was checking it everyday and noticed the warning in red above it, "Your license will expire in 3 more days, please contact so and so." Then "2 more days", then "1 more day", and now it's a dead link. LOL, must be a bit embarrassing for an internet provider's own speedtest to expire...)

Thanks for the suggestion but tried that too. Also tried Vuze.

Today uTorrent came back a bit to reach 130kB so maybe TOT Pattaya have stopped their 'experimenting' with torrents.

As I noted, each speed test I tried showed good download speed and I got full speed 2.5Mb on iTunes podcasts. (I also noted the TOT outage - nothing new)

Only torrents whether on uTorrent, Deluge, BitTornado or Vuze failed to reach the grade.

Thanks for the comments

I recommend testing your torrent download speed by downloading an 'ideal' torrent, with a high seed to peer ratio. It doesn't matter what the file is, it's only a test so you can delete it later.

Click here

Tried that earlier; also with no greater success.

Just tried the "click here' torrent (good idea as a benchmark) after the improvement this afternoon and got a reasonable average speed of 77kB and peak on 143kB with 100 seeds. No other downloads at the time so, although not 2.5Mb (say 220kB after overhead), better than all last week.

Incidentally, has anyone set up a dual boot XP Linux system? I tried once many years ago but couldn't get it to work. Is there any advantage to using Linux OS for torrents? I've written several programs for myself in VB6 so I'll have to stick with XP or lose them.

Yup today was better overall but nowhere near full speed and now is as bad as ever.....

I had a great chat with the manger of the TOT local office today...bandwidth is not part of his job remit it seems. Copper wiring and connection into the home and he's the man to call, but bandwidth problems, then you are on your own or rather one should go to the website and something else, something else - I sort of had lost the will to live at that bit so own up to not listening as to who I should contact. I asked him if TOT sent out info to their local offices if they are changing something or experimenting or working on lines and he said not that he was aware of. So I asked how it worked if customers of his, complained to him, as manager of their local office, that something had patently changed, that they were not getting what they had a week ago and indeed what they were paying for and he knew nothing about it - was he comfortable being put in the firing line when he had no knowledge that anything was afoot? He repeated the mantra that bandwidth was not his bag, we both thanked each other profusely and and that was that!

It does seem odd that a few of us are in the same boat but not all...Eastern seaboard maybe?

As I noted, each speed test I tried showed good download speed and I got full speed 2.5Mb on iTunes podcasts.

This is key as Apple uses standard FTP protocols (and ports 20/21) so this tells me that your line is sound and your ISP is not limiting your bandwidth. I'd suggest everyone experiencing BT issues get an FTP client (I like FileZilla but there are many available) an examine their FTP performance.

On one TOT line (4 Mega-bits per second) I might get 3.66 Mbps FTP but only 150 Mbps with BT (not simultaneously!) (Note that most BT clinets display communications speeds in Bytes per second.)

Trouble-shooting BT issues is very challenging given the number of variables involved. And the BT protocol is immensely complex. I'd suggest checking out some of the optimization recommendations easily found with Google.

As I noted, each speed test I tried showed good download speed and I got full speed 2.5Mb on iTunes podcasts.

This is key as Apple uses standard FTP protocols (and ports 20/21) so this tells me that your line is sound and your ISP is not limiting your bandwidth. I'd suggest everyone experiencing BT issues get an FTP client (I like FileZilla but there are many available) an examine their FTP performance.

On one TOT line (4 Mega-bits per second) I might get 3.66 Mbps FTP but only 150 Mbps with BT (not simultaneously!) (Note that most BT clinets display communications speeds in Bytes per second.)

Trouble-shooting BT issues is very challenging given the number of variables involved. And the BT protocol is immensely complex. I'd suggest checking out some of the optimization recommendations easily found with Google.

Why not give filehosting a go, fast and no uploading. Too easy.

I use a local seedbox, so get 48 Mega-bits per second download/uncapped uploading (although that is my cap it routinely goes to 100 Mbps, but then do have to FTP files down to my PC over my 4 Mbps link) so agree that there are alternatives to BT.

I use a local seedbox, so get 48 Mega-bits per second download/uncapped uploading (although that is my cap it routinely goes to 100 Mbps, but then do have to FTP files down to my PC over my 4 Mbps link) so agree that there are alternatives to BT.

If you have time, could you give any more info on the seedbox please or pm me if the forum does not allow? Thanks

This evening the internet stopped completely - utterly unusable, though the torrents continued to struggle along at snail's pace. Yet, at some point between 8.00 and 9.00, bang and hey presto, and back to fully operational internet and most importantly full speed downloading torrents - as I am used to and as things were a week ago, back to normal. Great stuff if it lasts....

Do the other people who have experienced the same problem as myself, also have full return?

It would be useful to know so that I can confirm that it was just not a local problem (not that I think it was) and as a vindication of us sharing this in the forum. Knowing that others are having the same problem saves a lot of fiddling and angst-filled hours!

Edited by danc

This evening the internet stopped completely - utterly unusable, though the torrents continued to struggle along at snail's pace. Yet, at some point between 8.00 and 9.00, bang and hey presto, and back to fully operational internet and most importantly full speed downloading torrents - as I am used to and as things were a week ago, back to normal. Great stuff if it lasts....

Do the other people who have experienced the same problem as myself, also have full return?

It would be useful to know so that I can confirm that it was just not a local problem (not that I think it was) and as a vindication of us sharing this in the forum. Knowing that others are having the same problem saves a lot of fiddling and angst-filled hours!

Yes, Danc had exactly the same on TOT.

I switched to a wireless USB adaptor and picked up my hotel's Wi-fi on "Maxnet" and got connections although not to ThaiVisa!

I suspect that TOT nationwide had a problem as I pinged www.tot.co.th and got 3 timeouts on the route.

Replugged into the TOT line and back to normal (that's the normal 10 days ago not the normal of the last week or the normal of this evening).

Fingers crossed (the only digital aid that might work)

Back to terrible again for me - same for others?

Just tested the Ubuntu torrent and getting speeds of 82kB which is about the best I get for individual torrents.

3BB speedtest also shows no problem.

I'm located in Diana Inn on a TOT line and haven't noticed anything amiss since the restoration last night.

Back to terrible again for me - same for others?

Just tested the Ubuntu torrent and getting speeds of 82kB which is about the best I get for individual torrents.

3BB speedtest also shows no problem.

I'm located in Diana Inn on a TOT line and haven't noticed anything amiss since the restoration last night.

I am back to the wild fluctuations and no ability to hold any speed - speed goes up, looks good and then crashes back down again.

I have spoken with the call centre today and there is a problem with 038 and 039 numbers. Beyond that, I could not get too much info - an initial admission (oops!) and then the standard call-centre clam-up, quick log the call, log the complaint, get off the line, promise nothing and admit to nothing! I am in the 039 category.

Yeah, I had the same, couldn't even get a speed test. I called them and was told there was a system wide problem and they were working on it.

Improved later in the evening, and Saturday morning got a torrent file in good time.

Away now and working on my laptop on some guesthouse wifi connection, but decided to try to keep up with my regular weekly torrent files of tv series. Don't know the ISP etc, but I can see uTorrent is downloading this file at a screaming 30 kB/s. Have to disconnect to go to bed, so who knows that I'll get tomorrow? The joys of TIT, eh?

The speeds are back to being very poor, erratic, climbing fast and then crashing back to very low.

The problem affects for sure 039 numbers - 038 numbers were mentioned - eastern seaboard. Bangkok TOT is presumably 02, hence no problems.

They have an ongoing problem and as they try to fix it, they are restricting bandwidth - restricting connections/ capping speeds essentially. No timespan is given for solution of the problem and the need to enforce this restriction. This does not affect the internet connection per se or your connection speed - it's the stuff coming down the line that is being squeezed, bittorrent traffic.

Back to patience...

(On the torrents themselves, what you will find is that a heavily seeded torrent, say from a private tracker will obtain some speed but that will be about 1/3 of what is was 10/11 days ago and it will rise upwards and then come crashing back down - the ubuntu torrent higher up in this topic will show this behaviour too. With torrents from public trackers, perhaps not so well seeded, the speeds will be similarly about 1/3 and so never being so fast as private torrents, will appear very very slow and also keep falling back.)

Edited by danc

The speeds are back to being very poor, erratic, climbing fast and then crashing back to very low.

The problem affects for sure 039 numbers - 038 numbers were mentioned - eastern seaboard. Bangkok TOT is presumably 02, hence no problems....

.....speeds will be similarly about 1/3 and so never being so fast as private torrents, will appear very very slow and also keep falling back.)

That explains it exactly. Thanks for all the research that went into this. Both upload and download speeds are affected and the graph of the connection speed looks more like a cross-section of the Alps than the smooth TOT landscape that it should be. I hear that it's also causing problems with TTT/3BB lines as well as TOT.

I just got on a TOT line here in Bangkok, started a torrent and am getting full wire speed.

I normally use a local seed box (6 Mega-bits per second), then FTP files, so rarely use BT on local PCs, but no problems with this single sample.

Can you give any details on the "local seed box"?

Sounds like this would be a solution when being shaped in Pattaya.