Maid Keeps Asking For Advances...

Grawburg

We all have to manage whatever money we have. I've been helped out and helped out others, but advancing money doesn't work (look at the current global economy).

12k is a very decent salary for a maid, however lets not confuse a decent salary with "a lot of money". If anyone here had to look after a family of four on that they would struggle. let alone 6k or 1.5k. What should be gleaned from this, is how dam_n tuff it must be for some people where they're from that the better option is to work as a slave (1.5k). be thankfull for what you have

It seems that it's not she who want the two month salary in advance but her husband/family. She have to ask you if her husband/family insists on it and I'm sure you do her a favor telling her that that is not possible. She'll have a clear answer to her husband/family: NO

12k is a very good salary, you needn't worry if you don't pay in advance.

Fatfather

Many people are exploited all over the world.

And that makes it ok? Is that your justification?

Imagine how much worse the world would be if more people used the "everyone else is doing it" excuse for human rights abuses and other inappropriate behavior.

Give her 1/2 of her months salary 1/2 month into the month.

With this compromise she is getting an advance, albeit for work she has completed, but you have neither shown yourself to be weak or mean and offered some form of compromise small as it is.

Also, find out the truth behind why she is needing the money early, it could be for valid reasons or it could simply be family pressure.

Father In Laws driver: two of them one after the other, both soldiers seconded to my FIL but also paid an additional salary also borrowed money from FIL, in both cases the soldiers / drivers disappeared and went AWOL without returning the money....

Moral: don't loan money unless it's for a very real and valid reason ( i.e. Medical grounds and in that case give, you'll feel better when the money doesn't get paid back).

My friends get their maids from Burma ... 1,500bht a month, food and a place to sleep.

Disgusting.. I wouldn't be so quick to call them friends who treat people so appallingly.

OP, 12K is well above average wage for a maid and I think it would be naive to keep giving advances with the expectation that she will keep coming back with that much cash in her pocket. The original contract sounds like a fair deal - it sounds like she is taking advantage of you.

12,000 PM for a live-in Burmese maid (in Bkk) is standard, I had my maid for 8 years and she's still in Bkk, I'm not, but she can earn up to 14,000 pm. Baht 1,500 how could you do that? That's pathetic. I'll say no more b4 they strike my posting out.....

My friends get their maids from Burma ... 1,500bht a month, food and a place to sleep.

I second the previous poster, 2 months up front and she will have another job the next day.

"Your friend" , paying that salary, is a sad labor exploiter.

I concured, this is pure exploitation... :bah:

I second the previous poster, 2 months up front and she will have another job the next day.

Your friend exploits illegal (probably) aliens (possible refugees) and should go to jail for it.

Your friend exploits illegal (probably) aliens (possible refugees) and should go to jail for it.

You know what? I don't actually believe him. I don't believe anyone would pay a maid 1500 per month and I don't think any maid for fall for it.