Can I Get A Thai Motorbike License

Weedhopper

No chance at all. Not if you try and take the test on your present bike. It has been illegally converted. Believe it or not, a side-car is illegal in Thailand.

The Thais who drive a bike with side-car probably took the test and got the license on an ordinary bike.

Why have a License ? I live with a TG that has been riding Motorbikes since she was 12 and never got one I asked her if she has ever had any problem she said nothing 100 baht would not take care of.

Just yesterday My buddy road his rented Yamaha to Royal garden plaza parked in a red and white zone. Well we learned that you can not park there for more than a few minutes so they took his bike to a holding yard off third road.

We went to Police station to recover the bike the fine was 600 Baht They did not ask him for a Rental agreement, Passport or a License they gave him back the bike and off he went

So why even bother ? :o

Why have a License ? I live with a TG that has been riding Motorbikes since she was 12 and never got one I asked her if she has ever had any problem she said nothing 100 baht would not take care of.

Just yesterday My buddy road his rented Yamaha to Royal garden plaza parked in a red and white zone. Well we learned that you can not park there for more than a few minutes so they took his bike to a holding yard off third road.

We went to Police station to recover the bike the fine was 600 Baht They did not ask him for a Rental agreement, Passport or a License they gave him back the bike and off he went

So why even bother ? :D

OK until you have an accident and the Insurance Company will not cough up. My wife had similar thoughts as she also has never got a licence. Neighbours daughter had accident where passenger died. She was given the old "pay 600,000 baht or go prison" option. Parents had to take loan against their house. :o

I have a Honda 100 with a sidecar. I had the sidecar put on because I am disabled and cannot hold the bike up without it. I have a non-o but I don't have a bike license for US. What are the odds of me getting a Thai Motorcycle License. Thanks

1,000 Baht to the right person will do the trick -- in a heartbeat. :D

Know of 2 cases in Phuket where 1K and 1.5K respectively, accomplished the task.

Not relevant to you but could be valuable to others -- if all else fails, a skirt and a sword combo has worked for one and can be duplicated by others without too much distress. :o

• 4 years later...
No chance at all. Not if you try and take the test on your present bike. It has been illegally converted. Believe it or not, a side-car is illegal in Thailand.

The Thais who drive a bike with side-car probably took the test and got the license on an ordinary bike.

Can you help me as you seem to be in the know ! I live up country and they are Wall's Ice Cream which have Side cars and also i have seen catologe from Tiger who sell them !

Where did this information come from ?

An other question if it comes into thailand as an import and taxes paid is it legal ?

eagerly awaiting ansers

Bikes with sidecars are legal in Thailand, up North the Thai tourist police even ride around with cub-style motorcycles with sidecar. For the Thai road law 3-wheels is the limit for being classified as motorcycle.

As for adding a existing registered motorcycle with a sidecar is illegal, the motorcycle, like most countries around the world needs to pass the road safety board. Currently two manufacturers offer cub-style motorcycles with sidecar, the Tiger Retro 110 with sidecar is the most famous and probably the most reliable. The other manufacturer is Stallion which is I believe Chinese build and seems to be of acceptable quality. Both this bikes come with registration papers which specifies that it are 3-wheeled vehicles (Motorcycle with permanently attached sidecar).