Need To Use Internet While On The Move

f3r

Sawatdee Khrub to all wonderful people in thailand, here's hoping you could help me out with a question i'm having

I'lll be in thailand on business from singapore. Currently in Singapore, i have a all-in-one plan for my android phone(samsung galaxy spica) which gives me calls, sms and 12gb of data per month. I use a cable to tether the phone to my laptop and i can surf internet on the go. Is there a sim card(prepaid) that I could buy in thailand (preferably below 1000 baht), which gives me this facility for the 5 days I will be in thailand? it's ok if the speed is not that great(i mainly need to read emails and chat) but the faster the better(company is paying the phone bill so no problem there)

I also have a huawei e1550 usb modem(which has a sim card inside which also allows me to surf on the go), is there a sim I could use for this device as well? will this sim be the same as the one i could use in my phone?

Thanks and have a wonderful day =)

I've used AIS (12call) for the internet before.

100 baht for 20 hours, 800 baht for one month unlimited.

It's good that you said " it's ok if the speed is not that great", because it is slow.....felt like throwing my laptop and cellphone off the balcony a few times.

Since you got a Huawei dongle, you can simply buy a Sim card for internet use. I used it several time but before your disappointment, I would like to let you know this first. Don't expect too much. This speed is horrible. And I promise I will not buy one anymore when I visit Thailand. You can't really do anything with the card, just imagine you need to wait for 10-15 min just to load up a page? Forget this mate, go to internet cafe!:rolleyes:

At the moment i am using DTAC and my mobile. I have used it in BKK, Chaing Mai, Chanthaburi and Pattaya and a few places inbetween. NO problems and it only seems to only get slow if i load a few pages at once. No blistering speeds but still okay. I am paying 180 for 20 hours . I needed to go to a DTAC office to get it set up - My Thai is not that good to understand how to set it up myself and i haven't the time, patientce or energy to bother with the trial and error method of installing. Takes about 2 minutes in the office..Much better and safer than internet cafes .

I've been using DTAC for my home Internet connection for several years now. My phone is tethered to my PC and the stability and consistency of it has been very good. Just pickup a DTAC sim card, call 1678 (Call Service) and they have an English language rep that can activate a package for you. Just be sure to topup the sim card with enough to cover the package price.

Just use the software that is supplied with the phone to get connected. Took only a minute or two after I bought the phone, installed the software and was up and running.

BTW, you can get the DTAC sim card at nearly any place selling mobile phones, believe even at a 7-11.

I would suggest buying a True Sim (The Intersim allows for calls abroad at 1 baht/minute)... Their data plans include "Promotional test 3G speed"...

http://www.truemove.com/en/data-package-timebase.html

Just buy a sim... Top it off with enough baht for the plan you want then dial *9000 and order any plan listed on the website above...

Also the data plans will allow you to use any True or KSC WiFi hotspot (Starbucks)... Again dial *9000 and there is a option that will send you a sms with your login name and password to use at any of these hotspots

6. The users are able to connect to Wi-Fi by TrueMove using the users’ TrueMove mobile number as the username followed by @truemove domain name (08xxxxxxxx@truemove) and the system will send password to the users by SMS.

7. Wi-Fi by TrueMove connection speed is set for receiving/sending data for up to 2 Mbps per 1 Wi-Fi Account.

8. In case of forgetting password, the users should dial 1331 or *9000 press 4 to request for new password.

Edited by sfokevin

mate, where is the nearest DTAC office? I will be staying at the Hyatt Erawan

do they have one at the airport which can do the entire setup for me?

Thanks everyone for the replies..

TRUEMOVE 3G as sfokevin has suggested, has coverage at your hotel. I don't know about the bank as you didn't name it.

You will not be able to use your existing modem, as it doesn't look for 3g on TRUEMOVE's network. Whether your phone will work depends on whether it is the American version(HSDPA 850 / 1900 - American version).

You can purchase TRUEMOVE's own offering if you wish or look at a TOT MVNO instead, as they transmit on the 210MHz band.

Have an appointment, so will leave someone else to explain in more detail.

As soon as you go thru Customs and are out in the terminal there are True (And I think DTac) booths on the left to buy or rent what you need...

But as a price check - You can go to MBK Mall and buy a USB Dongle ~ 1,300... True InterSim ~ 200... Top Up ~ 500 = 2,000 baht will give you complete setup with 100 hours data 15 hours 3G for a month

Edited by sfokevin

As soon as you go thru Customs and are out in the terminal there are True (And I think DTac) booths on the left to buy or rent what you need...

But as a price check - You can go to MBK Mall and buy a USB Dongle ~ 1,300... True InterSim ~ 200... Top Up ~ 500 = 2,000 baht will give you complete setup with 100 hours data 15 hours 3G for a month

You need to check that it is a 3G capable modem and capable of transmitting and receiving 3G signals at 850MHz and 2100MHz. I think 1800 baht is a more realistic figure, especially if you want a well supported modem.

TRUEMOVE Inter SIM is only 49 baht. Then the OP can try both network SIMs and see which suits.