Air India - Any Good?

Stabbo-Lad

I need to book a O/W flight to London departing this month and Air India is the cheapest I've found.

But having just read this they don't sound very good.

Anyone flown with AI recently? Good, Bad or Ugly?

Or does anyone know of any special deals to London at the moment. AI (through Edreams.com) is coming out at GBP307.

Many thanks,

SL.

Contrary to the criticism of Air India in other threads, I had a very good experience with them in September. So good that I have actually re-booked for another round trip in January.

Good curries, free drinks, lots of legroom from Delhi to London( I am 6'1" tall),(I had emergency exit seats on the BKK-Delhi sector but the seating did look a bit cramped). Dehi has a nice new terminal, good duty free - even Indian malt whisky if they haven't sold out.

OK now the downside. You have to queue in Delhi to get your onward boarding pass and security is very strict so lots of queueing for checks. However the queues are well ordered and no crowding.

So if you want to save a few quid go ahead and enjoy the polite Air India service. Only make sure you are transiting through Delhi and not Mumbai, and hope nothing goes wrong, because like with most airlines that is when service tends to break down.

Negatives far outway the positives from what I have read........why put yourself at possible wits end with possible last minute chages to your schedule and endanger yourself for the sake of saving a few quid.......I wouldnt..........Ethiad have Bkk - LHR @ 16,450 inc taxes. which seems like a good deal to me.

www.ethiadairways.com

(price above was based on one way trip BKK to LHR on Tuesday 16th November.)

Edited by CharlieH

Thanks for the reply.

Just double checked and it is via Delhi - heard bad things about Mumbai too.

Price is down to 305 today also.

2hr 40m stop-over is ok.

Thought the curries wound be good.

For the sake of just 40 Quid I know which one I would choose or is it the curry and danger thats appealling...:lol:

I've flown with them twice. Will never do it again. Sudden decompression at altitude, oxygen masks dropping...but the tanks were empty...so no oxygen, dropped several thousand feet in seconds, several people hurt, etc. This was my wife's flight. Did an emergency landing in HK. When she didn't show up here, I tried to call AI. Good luck with that. No answers at either the originating nor the destination airport. Finally got somebody in BKK on the phone only to have them tell me the plane landed and there were no problems. BS. Called AI's main office in India, got the same Answer.

Never again...not worth it. The guy next to my wife, an Indian, called AI "Chicken Airlines". Their equipment is horrible.

Thanks for the reply.

Just double checked and it is via Delhi - heard bad things about Mumbai too.

Price is down to 305 today also.

2hr 40m stop-over is ok.

Thought the curries wound be good.

For the sake of just 40 Quid I know which one I would choose or is it the curry and danger thats appealling...:lol:

At a difference of only £40 I'd fly Etihad....best economy flight in my experience.

Flew with them a faire few years back, and never again. Spoken to Indian friends and they all say avoid like the plague.

However, due to lack of availability of flights when I flew back to the UK a few weeks ago I ended up flying with Jet Airways. I have nothing but praise for them, found the planes to be relatively new, plenty of leg room, decent entertainment and the service was pretty reasonable. I had a one and half hour stop over in Mumbai, which was pretty much walking from one part of the airport to the other -whilst that bit was a little chaotic I couldn't faulkt it, and I would certainly have no hesutation in flying with them again.

A resounding NO then.

I can put up with a certain amount of discomfort/hassle (if the price compensates for it) but not that much

Got to get back in one piece!

Etihad at 16450 (thanks Charlie) is looking best option at present, Saveflights.com quoted 16700 so a tad cheaper to book direct.