It Bookshops In Bkk?

Joey Boy

"That" bookshop ^ would be the Japanese chain Kunikinoya. A very good chain, indeed, they will be opening a branch at the Siam Paragon Center soon. As good as the Emporium branch is, it's small potatoes compared to the Singapore branch.

Books@53 on Sukhumvit soi 53 has a very nice collection and range- much towards an academic bent- of titles in many subjects, plus a very, very nice kids section. They also special order and have a monthly book club [FWIW] that meets upstairs.

Edited by GoodHeart

"That" bookshop ^ would be the Japanese chain Kunikinoya. A very good chain, indeed, they will be opening a branch at the Siam Paragon Center soon. As good as the Emporium branch is, it's small potatoes compared to the Singapore branch.

Books@53 on Sukhumvit soi 53 has a very nice collection and range- much towards an academic bent- of titles in many subjects, plus a very, very nice kids section. They also special order and have a monthly book club [FWIW] that meets upstairs.

The best place for computer books is Kinokuniya in the Emporium I'm sure I saw C++ for dummies in there.

Asia books doesnt stock any computer related books AFAIK,Bookazine not sure.

The best place for computer books is Kinokuniya in the Emporium I'm sure I saw C++ for dummies in there.

Asia books doesnt stock any computer related books AFAIK,Bookazine not sure.

Believe it or not, i found a hole-in-the-wall bookstore in Siam Square today with a collection easily three to four times the size of Kinokuniya's -about 2/3 was English and the other 1/3 Thai- with a remarkably diverse selection of titles. It is by far the best collection of computer books to be found in the city, at least from what I have so far found here. I'm assuming it has something to do with being so close to the Chulalongkorn campus.

Anyone scoffing take note: on their business card it states they are a Microsoft Retail Center. And they did have legit retail versions of XP for sale. How often do you see that in Bangkok!?

Easiest way to find them is to track down the Lido 3 Cinema entrance [2nd floor] and then aim for the corner of the building nearest MBK and Chula U. Also, they have entrances on the ground and second floors- but both are tiny, and the ground floor entrance has no books on display since they are on the second level.

The Book Chest

240 Siam Square Soi 2

Tel. 658-1874, 251-6334

Fax. 658-1875

Final note: they had some very good fiction harcovers for sale for Bt100 as well 2+ year old brand new computer titles that were marked down 50-80%.

Edited by GoodHeart

IMHO the best IT bookstore in Bangkok is SE-ED in Fortune IT Mall (the small Bookchest shop there is also ok, but not the big one which sells outdated stock).

The Bookchest in Siam also sells primarily very old titles. Kinokoonia in Emporium used be good, but they have reduced their IT collection - looks like they are moving on to other things. It's still ok.