Booking Hotels By Phone Or Email In Thailand

camerata

Now that I'm kind of retired I'm about to do some travelling without a fixed schedule in the north and central regions of Thailand. Some big tourist spots and some small places.

If I want the flexibility of going where I want, when I want, it seems like the only realistic option is to keep a list of hotels and guesthouses and call ahead by phone to book a few days before arriving. Has anyone done this before? I hate to turn up at a hotel with no booking coupon, so I'm wondering how reliable this might be. I don't have any problem speaking Thai, I'm just afraid someone will forget to jot down my booking.

I don't have a laptop and I can't be sure I'll be staying at places with Internet and a printer for online bookings. Has anyone booked online and arrived without a printed coupon? I heard this can be a problem.

My phone isn't a smartphone, but it can just about handle email, so email bookings could be a better option. Anyone had any problems with an email booking in Thailand if they didn't print out the email (which I normally do)?

i have used the phone to book hotels.To date I have never been let down.The reservation has always been recorded.I have found on some occasions though it is better to use the internet simply because the price is cheaper for the same deal.

I'm sorry I don't know what the printed coupon you are referring to is

That sounds good. The coupon I mentioned is what the online booking agencies like Agoda email you after you pay with your credit card. You present this at the hotel reception. Perhaps they don't need it, but at least you have evidence of the booking.

I should have mentioned I'll be looking for cheaper hotels or decent guesthouses with own room and bathroom.

Unless you are traveling during the high season, I doubt you will have any problems getting a room pretty much anywhere in Thailand these days. On my first trip here, I did the same as you. Just traveled about with no fixed plans. I never made reservations. Sure, a few times had to walk around to find a room, and a few times the place I really wanted to stay at was booked...but it was not that big of a deal.

I've also made advanced reservations and upon arrival wished I hadn't as there were better options nearby which were not listed in my "bible"...LP.

Lately, as wifey has been traveling with me, I do tend to make advanced reservations. Some hotels are OK with no printed voucher, some are not. Some demand pre-payment, some will book it with just your name. What type of places are you planning to stay at? Backpacker type or more mid-range hotels? Or high-end ones?

Are you traveling by public transport or via your own? Makes a huge difference. Sounds like you are going to have a blast! Enjoy!

Im my experience of travelling CENTRAL and NORTH a simple telephone call is all thats needed and no pre-payment. They just take your name and thats always been enough. This was for what i would call mid-range nice hotels but not high end which ask for everything bar a urine sample.

Although as said previously there was never any problem finding alternatives once you arrive in a town.I object to paying up front as you never really know what you are walking into and with just the name you always have the option to go elsewhere if its not to your liking.

Have a great time !

Another thing to do if you are unsure is to ask the name of the person taking the booking on the phone.To be honest I have never needed to present the confirmation info sent by Agoda ets but looks like it could be a mixed bag.

What type of places are you planning to stay at? Backpacker type or more mid-range hotels? Or high-end ones?

Are you traveling by public transport or via your own? Makes a huge difference. Sounds like you are going to have a blast! Enjoy!

End of November and into December I guess will be high season in some places. I'll be looking for what LP considers the top of the Budget range or bottom of the Midrange - about 600-900 baht.

This will all be by public transport, but I have a seriously screwed up shoulder so I won't be roughing it or dragging my suitcase around for miles looking for hotels.

What type of places are you planning to stay at? Backpacker type or more mid-range hotels? Or high-end ones?

End of November and into December I guess will be high season in some places. I'll be looking for what LP considers the top of the Budget range or bottom of the Midrange - about 600-900 baht.

This will all be by public transport, but I have a seriously screwed up shoulder so I won't be roughing it or dragging my suitcase around for miles looking for hotels.

Public transport ? wow....best of luck, I know most places will have bus links and the buses from experience are Ok with Air con and plenty of leg room. Trains are not up to much but it would be an experience thats for sure. When you arrive anywhere there will be a cheap tuk tuks waiting to take you anywhere you may need so if you do have to look around a little they'll know where and it wont cost much.Tuk tuks once you are out of BKK and other typical touristy spotsare actually decent and fair based on my experiences.

Edited by CharlieH

Public transport ? wow....best of luck, I know most places will have bus links and the buses from experience are Ok with Air con and plenty of leg room. Trains are not up to much but it would be an experience thats for sure. When you arrive anywhere there will be a cheap tuk tuks waiting to take you anywhere you may need so if you do have to look around a little they'll know where and it wont cost much.Tuk tuks once you are out of BKK and other typical touristy spotsare actually decent and fair based on my experiences.

OK, that's good to know. I still have a soft spot for trains (took one to Hua Hin last year), so I might fit in a short train journey somewhere. I took a VIP aircon bus in the North last year and it was great, but I ain't travelling on no "regular" inter-city buses.

Take a look at the website hostelworld.com, through them you can book hotels/guesthouses online, pay 10% by credit card and you get your confirmed booking instantly. Guess I don't have to tell you that nowadays even in villages there is always at least one internet shop, which will also have printing facilities.

OK, that's good to know. I still have a soft spot for trains (took one to Hua Hin last year), so I might fit in a short train journey somewhere. I took a VIP aircon bus in the North last year and it was great, but I ain't travelling on no "regular" inter-city buses.

You could always try the inter town songtaus....you meet lots of chickens ducks and people that :whistling: way.

If I remember right you stayed at the Tai Son Geet a few (or many ) years ago.,....

If you survived that then you should have no trouble finding hotels now....May evewn be able to sleep in some of them rather than being woken up by all the knocking (on the door).

Edited by harrry

If I remember right you stayed at the Tai Son Geet a few (or many ) years ago.,....

If you survived that then you should have no trouble finding hotels now....

Yeah, but that was 35 years ago, when I could handle a 40-baht-a-night room with a fan and mosquito coils. My tired old body requires a bit more comfort these days. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, you might say. :(

Take a look at the website hostelworld.com, through them you can book hotels/guesthouses online, pay 10% by credit card and you get your confirmed booking instantly. Guess I don't have to tell you that nowadays even in villages there is always at least one internet shop, which will also have printing facilities.

If that's the case, I should have no problems. I looked at hostelworld once before for an overseas trip but ended up booking by email instead. I guess I should take another look and see what they have listed for Thailand.

How do you guys feel about using your email account and entering credit card information at a Thai Internet cafe? I avoided it when I was in China, just in case. I set up a throw-away gmail account to communicate with friends.

I would not use credit cards in an internet cafe. In fact except at an international name hotel I would use cash.

How do you guys feel about using your email account and entering credit card information at a Thai Internet cafe? I avoided it when I was in China, just in case. I set up a throw-away gmail account to communicate with friends.

Check out this thread. I have used credit cards before, but rarely...and only if absolutely necessary. And I have separate email accounts for biz vs. pleasure.

My http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/415030-clandestine-keylogging-can-be-major-problem/link

I should have mentioned I'll be looking for cheaper hotels or decent guesthouses with own room and bathroom.

Bigger name hotels I'll usually book online, never had an issue. Local Mom & Pop hotels and guesthouses, usually done by phone and again never a problem, although usually I just provide name and phone number and my partner calls to make the arrangements in Thai.

About using credit card at internet cafe', I'm in the IT biz and I would never do it. For starters, the computer is very likely to have pirated software and not have the latest security updates. Also, it is possible that the OS and web browser are too outdated to accommodate modern electronic transactions. Finally, and most importantly, you have no way of knowing if there is any keystroke tracking or other malware applications which could compromise your electronic identity and information.

from a guesthouse owner perspective we prefer email or phone bookings based on the keep it simple principle. However email bookings without

us asking for deposits means we end up getting 20% no shows with no communication from the no show party. However the phone bookings we dont have a problem with mainly because they are people within thailand already.

As a traveller also i like the comfort of booking via email so there is some certainty of accomodation

just my thoguhts really

cheers mark

Might be a bit late to organise for this years 'walkabout' but talk to your bank about getting a low-balance credit card; say $500 tops. That way it won't be too much of a blow if the numbers do get lifted. Or, get one of those VISA or MasterCard pre-paid cards where you top up online from your bank account as needed. Keep the balance low and sleep easier, even if you lose your wallet.

Might be a bit late to organise for this years 'walkabout' but talk to your bank about getting a low-balance credit card; say $500 tops. That way it won't be too much of a blow if the numbers do get lifted. Or, get one of those VISA or MasterCard pre-paid cards where you top up online from your bank account as needed. Keep the balance low and sleep easier, even if you lose your wallet.

Excellent idea!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!! :jap: