Emergency Hopitalisation

sunholidaysun1

If you are very sick are you confident you will get to hospital in time ? Who will call an ambulance ? Does anyone know the number to call ? Will anyone be able to locate where you live ? What hospital will you go to ? Do you have a choice ? Many freelance ambulances/pickup conversions driving about ?

Imagine something happening in the middle of the night !! I think about this now and again , not sure what to do about it ? ANY IDEAS ?

What about a database or all our names and addresses and the location of how to get to where you live, supplied to the hospitals ? Then if your name is given to the hospital(s)in an emergency, they can look you up in seconds ?

What are your thoughts and views ??

Merry Christmas in Advance :D

Edited by sunholidaysun1

I was in Sriburin last week. there were lots of posters plastered all over the place advertising an ambulance service. I do suspect it was Sriburins own ambulance service with an emergency number. I almost took the number myself.

I half suspect they could issue you with a card giving the details too if you register with them.

I hope to just die in place, wherever that happens. Not a lot of point in struggling to stay on board a few more months or years. It has been a very full life and most days, I feel as if I am hundreds of years old in experience anyway. I'm kind of anxious to take the next step and NOT exhaust my bank account in favor of a hospital or doctor on the way out. For years now, I have had no worry whatsoever about the quandaries listed above in the OP. It is kind of nice to go through these years without fear of an early OR timely exit.

I feel the OP has a some very valid points in his post. We can all agree I think that when such an emergency arises we would prefer to be represented in a clear and concise manner as to what our wishes and needs are.

Much of this western thinking of preparedness could easily be lost or over looked in translation is one of my fears.

If I was to land in the ER and not be "all there" in my communication ability I would certainly want someone there who could speak for me on a few important issues.

As a short list here are a few of the things I would like to be conveyed to the attending physician. Every one of us will have a different list, the point is our list is important to us as individuals.

1) I have no health insurance because I prefer to self insure and have set an account aside for such an emergency.

2) The hospital is authorized and encouraged to use any and all means to keep me alive as long as my quality of life will remain out of a vegetative state. In other words spend what is needed I have it covered but do not keep me on life support if that life will be severly compromised as in a paralyzed state unable to verbally or in some way communicate.

3) The hospital should be aware that I can pay any amount that is needed for treatment but I do have a limit to that amount and my personal limit is______Bt

4) I wish to be in a private room and I want to have my privacy as well as my dignity uncompromised. I have noticed a disturbing lack of this in several instances here in Thailand and wish to have this known to my caregivers.

5) Pain is something I do not want to live with, since I am not giving birth to a new life I wish to have at my disposal medication that works, not an ibuprofen tablet.

Again this type of list would be important to me and not so much to others. If I were to somehow make this personal list known with no translation errors it would make me rest easier when I get a case of heartburn or a nasty muscle cramp.LOL

A good discussion of these and other issues would be healthy for us all I think. Yes we have wives and that is all well and good but in times of panic and shock even the most caring and loving person can and will not remember these western thought's and details.

Following the disaster in London, the Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of Emergency (ICE)" worldwide campaign. The idea is that you store the word " I C E " in your mobile phone address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency".

In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. It's so simple that everyone can do it. Please do.

Please will you also email this to all the people you know, it won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

For more than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc.

It’s a great idea, store it in your phone then pass on the message to your family and friends....

I asked my RN about this. She said you can go to Sriburin and sign up for a VIP card (discount) and at the same time give them the info about address, contacts, allergies etc. They will sometimes even go to your home to make sure they know where it is. Ask for ANNE or a head nurse if you go there. I assume Overbrook has a similar program.

My RN has even been known to go with polite people to serve as an intermediary as her English is very good .jap.gif

I asked my RN about this. She said you can go to Sriburin and sign up for a VIP card (discount) and at the same time give them the info about address, contacts, allergies etc. They will sometimes even go to your home to make sure they know where it is. Ask for ANNE or a head nurse if you go there. I assume Overbrook has a similar program.

My RN has even been known to go with polite people to serve as an intermediary as her English is very good .jap.gif

Nice to know this service is available Scorpio. I did sign up at Sriburin for the VIP card last August when I was last there for a self imposed morning of blood tests and health check up. I will go in again and deliver a map to our home as well as inquire about ambulance phone numbers and some of the concerns I listed here,

Good post this one, lets keep up the good input on this serious discussion. I feel more at ease already B)

I feel the OP has a some very valid points in his post. We can all agree I think that when such an emergency arises we would prefer to be represented in a clear and concise manner as to what our wishes and needs are.

Much of this western thinking of preparedness could easily be lost or over looked in translation is one of my fears.

If I was to land in the ER and not be "all there" in my communication ability I would certainly want someone there who could speak for me on a few important issues.

As a short list here are a few of the things I would like to be conveyed to the attending physician. Every one of us will have a different list, the point is our list is important to us as individuals.

1) I have no health insurance because I prefer to self insure and have set an account aside for such an emergency.

2) The hospital is authorized and encouraged to use any and all means to keep me alive as long as my quality of life will remain out of a vegetative state. In other words spend what is needed I have it covered but do not keep me on life support if that life will be severly compromised as in a paralyzed state unable to verbally or in some way communicate.

3) The hospital should be aware that I can pay any amount that is needed for treatment but I do have a limit to that amount and my personal limit is______Bt

4) I wish to be in a private room and I want to have my privacy as well as my dignity uncompromised. I have noticed a disturbing lack of this in several instances here in Thailand and wish to have this known to my caregivers.

5) Pain is something I do not want to live with, since I am not giving birth to a new life I wish to have at my disposal medication that works, not an ibuprofen tablet.

Again this type of list would be important to me and not so much to others. If I were to somehow make this personal list known with no translation errors it would make me rest easier when I get a case of heartburn or a nasty muscle cramp.LOL

A good discussion of these and other issues would be healthy for us all I think. Yes we have wives and that is all well and good but in times of panic and shock even the most caring and loving person can and will not remember these western thought's and details.

One over-sight mellofello:

I see no mention of daily sponge baths administered by the most attractive nurse in the hospital. biggrin.gif

Well, if you are self-insured, and have no Thai will I can see the concern.

I haven't done it yet, but it is on the top of my to do list. The Thai will, that is.

Detail exactly what you want in terms of life support, etc.

Also, all Thai property- who gets what? Don't assume that because you have a Thai spouse that it all automatically is theirs. No will- it goes through something much like the probate court system in the US.

If you have a will in your home country, this also complicates thing here.

See this thread from the CM forum on this topic.

Disclaimer- I'm not a Thai estate law lawyer, so go get full advice from a professional.

And back on topic....I have full medical insurance from Bupa Thailand, and carry the insurance card in my wallet at all times. Full emergency coverage in any hospital in Thailand, and for overseas trips of limited duration up to 1 month, and a small fee, coverage worldwide.

Don't see the logic of signing up for one particular hospital's plan.

How does one know where an accident will happen? What if you are half way to Chiang Mai on a road trip?

ICE is a great idea. I've had one on my mobile for years- in the US.

However, next to no one here in Thailand will have a clue what this means, or be able to read it.

Just a few thoughts, not trying to rain on anyone's parade with my comments....B)