Making Friends In Chiang Mai?

DavidMavec

Hello All...

I just moved to Chiang Mai and am looking to meet new people and make new friends. I'm 29 years old from NYC. I'll be here at least three months and am really enjoying it so far!

I am wondering some good places and good things to do, other than bars? Where have you gone? So far I have been enjoying the European Union Movie Festival and walking around.

Best,

David

Hi David. Welcome to Chiang Mai. I might suggest starting with your own personal interests. Are you into motorcycles, movies, quiz nights, treks, etc? There are groups around twon for all of these things and more. There are activities for those of us not fond of the bar scene. Narrow your search and I am sure you will find friends..cheers, Sam

Hi David. Welcome to Chiang Mai. I might suggest starting with your own personal interests. Are you into motorcycles, movies, quiz nights, treks, etc? There are groups around twon for all of these things and more. There are activities for those of us not fond of the bar scene. Narrow your search and I am sure you will find friends..cheers, Sam

I understand where you coming from, I'm new here too from Boston and don't hang in bars and am not of the age to just sit!. The suggestion on your interests is a good one and maybe ppl. on this forum can then suggest something. I like biking, and eating and cooking, exploring the markets and restaurants and art and cultural stuff. If you want to do something (I have an extra bike) sometime just leave me a message here.

Sam,

Thanks for the great ideas. How do I learn more about the trekking groups? I'm a long distance backpacker and would love to get into hiking here.

Also movies and quiz nights are up my alley. How would I get connected?

David

I understand where you coming from, I'm new here too from Boston and don't hang in bars and am not of the age to just sit!. The suggestion on your interests is a good one and maybe ppl. on this forum can then suggest something. I like biking, and eating and cooking, exploring the markets and restaurants and art and cultural stuff. If you want to do something (I have an extra bike) sometime just leave me a message here.

Hey junglechef...

I like bars too but haven't found what I'm looking for yet in terms of nightlife... not exactly into ladies of the night if you get my drift.

A bike ride this weekend would rock, let's do it. I'lll send you a PM.

David

Hello David from NYC, Im Norm from Los Angeles. I've been living in CM for awhile now as a tourist.

I don't know your interests or budget but here's my 2 cents...

I have found CM city has many of the comforts of home and is a wonderful place to call home or to make your central base to explore the many wonders Northern Thailand has to offer. There are many nice things to see in CM city (Wats, markets, museums) and most of my comments are about some of the places in the province or near CM province.

Here are a few of the places I've enjoyed going to as well as my experiences (in no particular order).

This month I'm sure you know there is the Loy Krathong festival. You'll have no problem seeing/participating in the celebration here in CM (Ping River area is ++) There will also be celebrations in the local villages which in my experience are far less commercialized(?) and much more family/couple/friend oriented (traditional?). I've been invited to a few local villages for festivals in the past and I was welcomed by everyone in town (or it sure felt like it). I was given food, drink and a place to sleep. I felt like I was part of the family. Having a Thai friend is needed for what I'm going to

call this type of VIP treatment. The Thai friend I went with was not a romantic one, just a friend. If you're nice, smile, try to speak just a few words of Thai + have a little luck, you'll be in like Flint. "Poot Thai mai dai krup" - has always been a great ice breaker for me...lol. Again just my experience.

There's a large Thai night club near Nimminheimin Road, I don't know that I can mention the name or not in my post - It's big, very big and can be very rowdy and crowded, but I've always had fun there all the locals know of it. Great live music show throughout the evening + food and drinks. I would recommend this place for at least one night out.

There is a Pub on Huey Khaw road. Again, I don't know if I can mention the name of the Pub, in my post, but it's an English Pub. This Pub has game nights etc.

Also this month Mae Hong Son will have the sunflowers in bloom. Mae Hong Son is a beautiful village, even without the flowers (no nightlife to speak of). Mae Hong Son is a few hours north of CM. Pai is on the way to Mae Hong Son. Pai has some nice countryside as well, but the city is very commercialized. There is an active nightlife in Pai. This is at least an overnight trip.

San Khampeng Hot springs - 45 minutes? from the center of CM. It's family,friend or couple oriented and a great place to kick back, sit in the hot water and have a relaxing afternoon. You can go there by yourself too - no problem.

Wat Umong is on the west side of the city of CM it's unique because of its tunnels and there's a nice lake/pond there as well... I found it interesting and relaxing. It's near CMU.

You should already know about Doi Sutep - No visit to CM is complete without a visit there. I also like Doi Saket. It's just to the north of CM city. Doi Saket is less crowed and imho very beautiful.

The village of Fang is to the north of CM. I thought it was another real nice village and they've got a hot springs park that's beautiful! It's not the same as San Khampeng. Plus the journey to Fang will take you through some beautiful countryside.

Chiang Dao has a great cave! Well worth the cost of entry + guide ( I think it totaled about 140 baht). Plus there's a Wat up the mountain across the highway from the village of Chiang Dao. To get to the Wat you'll walk up a large well developed staircase that will take you up the mountain and though the jungle, lots of great views of the countryside. There is also a small hot spring area at the base of the mountain. It's not developed into a park, more of a stop along a quiet road. Nice place to give your feet or body a soak from all the walking/hiking you've just done. You'll probably need a local to find this (or someone that can speak/read Thai+English).

Phayao city - There's a beautiful old Wat in the mountain above the city on the opposite side of the lake from the city. I also enjoyed having lunch/dinner by the lake in the city. There's a nice Wat in the city too (in the city by the lake - difficult to miss).

I liked the Saturday night (I think it was Saturday night :-/) market in Chiang Rai (CR) . It's similar to the Sunday night walking street here in CM but it was smaller and seemed to me to have a more local (?) feel to it. (Just my opinion - pls don't attack me for this comment. I mean nothing disparaging about the night markets here in CM.) The CM markets, people, restaurants, etc are lovely!

Golden Triangle - North of CM. Many great places to take photos, see the countryside, etc.

Wat Rong Kung (aka "White Wat") - North of CM on the way to CR. Another unique Wat that I found to be a beautiful site.

Chiang Sean and Chiang Khong - both a few hours north of CM. Great places for views of the countryside, Mekong River and to get a feel of 'local life' in Thailand. Again, this is at least an overnight trip.

Doi Intanon - Highest point in Thailand. A few hours to the south of CM. Nice drive/ride through the countryside and mountains. Be prepared it's gonna be cold (maybe even for a NYC guy). Long pants + jacket will be needed. You can do this trip on a small motorbike, it would be an adventure for sure and you're gonna have a sore butt when you're done. But I also think you'll have a big smile on your face. Of course you can do this trip in a car or with a larger motorbike as well. Watch your gas, fill your tank up before you get off the main highway as I found there was limited fuel available once you get off the main highway and start your trek up the mountain. I did this trip on a honda wave with a passenger (pillion passenger).

I'm sure you'll get plenty of other suggestions so I'll stop here with places to see.

For what it's worth:

1) I have not done any organized tours. I usually, but not always, do my touring with a Thai friend(s) and I usually rent a car for the longer trips. If you can establish a relationship with a car/motorbike rental agency, that is, let them know you'll be using their services exclusively while you're here you may get a decent break off the advertised price of a car or motorbike. I'm sure you already know to shop around. It is the high season, so the 'deals' maybe harder to find. But if you tour as I do, the small savings do add up over time.

2) I have found the Thai people warm and friendly. As you venture outside of the local/common falang tourist areas, the people are even nicer (if that's possible) again imho. Some may be a little shy, others will make you feel like you've come to Thailand just to see them - lol!

Best wishes for a great holiday - don't break too many hearts and be careful with yours ;-)

Edited by chiangmaiman99

Sam,

Thanks for the great ideas. How do I learn more about the trekking groups? I'm a long distance backpacker and would love to get into hiking here.

Also movies and quiz nights are up my alley. How would I get connected?

David

http://cmhike.com/about-us/

Welcome to Chiang Mai, Khun David, Sawasdee Khrup,

Looks like you got a lot of good suggestions already, including an outstanding response from TV newcomer chiangmaiman99 !

There used to be a bicycling group that met every Sunday at Thapae Gate in the AM for a ride. If you do a search on this forum on "bicycle," guess you'd find out the details; or someone will respond to this post with an update.

Joining a good fitness center is also a nice way to meet other healthy people to hang out with.

If you want to have random depersonalized meaningless encounters with physically exhausted binge-drinkers, there's always the Hash House Harriers :)

Our only mild caution would be to avoid paying attention to opinions of old human (well, they appear human) males, like us, who have been here too long, and who, like the durian fruit, may have an outer casing of spikes surrounding a kidney-shaped pus-colored inner core surrounding a nauseating mixture of baby pabuluum, round-the-corner brie cheese, and garlic :)

Our psychic powers predict a happy social future for you here, given a few months of "hanging out" :)

best, ~o:37;

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

We are a couple from Russia with the same question about making friends in Chiang Mai. We are staing here as minimum for 4 months

We are 23, funny and easy-going. I am a writer and my boyfriend is a freelance designer.

So, if you are nice and don't have any plans on evening just text me.

Welcome to CM

For a taste of home try 'Pizza & Pasta' @ Samoeng rd / Canal rd intersection, the owner is from NYC - most likely the best pizza in town.

Also from that location is the starting point for a great bike ride up and down the Samoeng Valley or complete the well known 100km Samoeng-Loop with either cycle or motorbike. Cruising the Samoeng Loop

....... Happy Trails !

Edited by sbk
links to outside forums not allowed per forum rules

Hi there,

We are a couple from Russia with the same question about making friends in Chiang Mai. We are staing here as minimum for 4 months

We are 23, funny and easy-going. I am a writer and my boyfriend is a freelance designer.

So, if you are nice and don't have any plans on evening just text me.

Hi! Welcome to Chiang Mai!

I will suggest a cool place to go chill with similar aged and similar background people - its Small House. Its a cool relaxed bar that is in the Nimmanhaemin area. A lot of under 40 yrs old expats go and hang out there, on Tuesday nights they have a movie night going on, a pool table and Chris and Dow who run the bar are just so sweet. Info on where they are etc is on their facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=100906886626338. You should definitely head down and im sure you will enjoy it :)