Farang Affairs Dumped From The Nation

george

Farang Affairs dumped from The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The new editor of The Nation has canned the Farang Affairs column, which appeared in the newspaper's Expat Page every Monday.

On The Tiles, an offbeat nightlife column that appeared in The Nation's Weekend section on Fridays, was also dumped.

Both columns were written by the same journalist and both were popular among expats.

If you would like to know why Farang Affairs and On The Tiles are no more, email the editor at [email protected] and [email protected].

A cc to: [email protected] and [email protected]

will ensure your email is not ignored.

--Farangaffairs.com 2005-08-08

PS! Farang Affairs on the net is of course availbale as usual on their own website:

http://www.farangaffairs.com

Obviously a case of upsetting certain big wigs, no doubt!!!

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine. Taking the lead to drop a column that might anger the folks at the top? That way they can keep the press running without interruptions from the censor board.

What happened, does anyone know, the article about the "panty bandit" made the cops look like they did not know what they are doing? It also made a point, every time they set up a sting nobody showed up. :D It was to seem maybe a cop is the bandit :D

Sanitized news is just that, clean in the eyes of the executive orders. :o

This guy created some unfortunate karma when he started doing critiques of other scribblers and contrasting them to serious journalists, (as if casting himself as the latter).

<This was a few months back, post tsunami>

Is he the same writer that did the online A-Z of Thailand - which was brilliant stuff, I printed it off in full.

This guy created some unfortunate karma when he started doing critiques of other scribblers and contrasting them to serious journalists, (as if casting himself as the latter).

<This was a few months back, post tsunami>

Is he the same writer that did the online A-Z of Thailand - which was brilliant stuff, I printed it off in full.

wrong on both counts Moog!

Emailed the editor also. No reply as of now (email sent 6 hrs ago).

Does anybody know the reason (from the journalist) ?

Farang Affairs dumped from The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The new editor of The Nation has canned the Farang Affairs column, which appeared in the newspaper's Expat Page every Monday.

On The Tiles, an offbeat nightlife column that appeared in The Nation's Weekend section on Fridays, was also dumped.

Both columns were written by the same journalist and both were popular among expats.

If you would like to know why Farang Affairs and On The Tiles are no more, email the editor at [email protected] and [email protected].

A cc to: [email protected] and [email protected]

will ensure your email is not ignored.

--Farangaffairs.com 2005-08-08

PS! Farang Affairs on the net is of course availbale as usual on their own website:

http://www.farangaffairs.com

Farang affairs was all crap go-go bars stuff that was typical sex tourist stuff.

Apart from the occasional funny story most of what was written was embarresingly cringeworthy from a farangs point of view.

Good riddance to it, it just made Thai readers of The Nation confirm what they already thought of farangs anyway.

We'll just have to stop buying the nation for the time being. My emails are on their way.

cv

Mine too. Sent three. Here it is:

Dear Sir,

I would be grateful if you could please inform me as to why your fine newspaper has decided to drop Farang Affairs and On The Tiles?

Farang Affairs and On The Tiles edited (i.e. written by Phil Mcdonald) which used to appear in the Nation every Monday are no more....at least in print. Neither page appeared in today's edition. They have been dropped for good from what I understand - although Farang Affairs is still available on-line.

Personally, I really don't understand the logic behind this. I used to look forward to reading Farang Affairs ( full page) every Monday; it used to appear every Friday up until a couple of months ago.

The writing was witty and humourous and lampooned the absurdity of politics and everyday life here in the LOS.

Also, Farang Affairs normally included copy submitted by a reader which related to Thailand and would be of interest to foreigners living here.

More recently the piece was concluded by an apparently well researched investigative piece detailing an on-going story relating to Thailand.i.e. the facts behind a suspicious suicide, murder etc.

Farang Affairs was unique in that it touched on subjects that don't normally attract much, if any, attention in the news and social pages of BKK's English language dailies.

It was a crusading column exposing and ridiculing the ineptitude and corruption that exists here in Thailand.

What is the logic behind this axing? I thought The Nation was meant to be one of the last bastions of free speech against Thaksin, the government and the endemic corruption that plagues this country?

Yours sincerely,

MY REAL NAME

Farang affairs was all crap go-go bars stuff that was typical sex tourist stuff.

Apart from the occasional funny story most of what was written was embarresingly cringeworthy from a farangs point of view.

Good riddance to it, it just made Thai readers of The Nation confirm what they already thought of farangs anyway.

Jealousy becomes you .... :o

If you don't realize that easily the majority of the satirical pieces concerned politics and doings of government workers from Mr. T down to the local policeman, you obviously haven't read much of it.

Best to stay with your high-brow MK restaurant material.... and leave the comedy to the pros :D

If you don't realize that easily the majority of the satirical pieces concerned politics and doings of government workers from Mr. T down to the local policeman, you obviously haven't read much of it.

Best to stay with your high-brow MK restaurant material.... and leave the comedy to the pros :D

The satire was slapstick and clumsy, nothing incisive or insightful for any farang who has been in Thailand more than a couple of years, just patronising put- downs of Thai officialdom.

For a far more penetrative, knowledgeable, funnier and subtler sense of humour you should read Thanong's column in The Nation on Fridays, the former editor of the Business section, now working in the main section, has a Bachelor's degree in Thai Literature and a Masters in Economics, he's been with The Nation, I think over 20 years.

Sometimes he analyses the economy in a straightforward manner, pointing out various possible trends, but every third week or so he just takes the mick in his own inimitable way.

Edited by bannork

If people think that there is a market for this stuff, then let them publish it on with their own baht. Bernard Trink thought there was a paying market for his stuff and he was proven wrong after he started his subscription only website.

I think the Nation has proven itself time and agin that it isn't beholden to anyone, except its readers. If the decision was made to can the column, it probably reflected that schoolboy humor doesn't cut it in todays English language press.

Even to say that it reflected a typical farangs perspective on Thailand would be wrong too. Most farangs who base themselves in LOS these days would probably prefer to read a few more intelligent articles that the Nation is renowned for, and the paper is within its rights to use every opportunity to print them.

Edited by samran

The satire was slapstick and clumsy, nothing incisive or insightful for any farang who has been in Thailand more than a couple of years, just patronising put- downs of Thai officialdom.

For a far more penetrative, knowledgeable, funnier and subtler sense of humour you should read Thanong's column in The Nation on Fridays, the former editor of the Business section, now working in the main section, has a Bachelor's degree in Thai Literature and a Masters in Economics, he's been with The Nation, I think over 20 years.

Sometimes he analyses the economy in a straightforward manner, pointing out various possible trends, but every third week or so he just takes the mick in his own inimitable way.

You should read Thanong's column before it has been sub-edited. that's always good for a laugh as well. Give me a break. The guy's about as incisive as a brick, although he obviously has a few people fooled.

Sorry, I haven't meant to be secretive about it. There is just a few unresovled issues and I have been advised not to say too much.

But I can say it had nothing to do with censorship. In fact, the nation's previous editor, who was promoted last week was wanted to expand the column, changing its name and lifting it from the Expat Page so it would have a larger Thai audience, many, naturally enough, who do not read the Expat Page.

This goes to prove that those in this thread who are criticial of the shallow, cringeing, embarrassing, clumsy, slapstick, uninsightful stuff that goes in the column are even less informed about what goes on in Thailand than I am. Boy what a revelation.

The new editor was not supportive. A dispute arose. But their is now a possibility of resolution, thanks in no small way to all the emails sent to the nation yesterday by people of good character.

Thank you all very much. I owe you all a beer.

Sorry, I haven't meant to be secretive about it. There is just a few unresovled issues and I have been advised not to say too much.

But I can say it had nothing to do with censorship. In fact,  the nation's previous editor, who was promoted last week was wanted to expand the column, changing its name and lifting it from the Expat Page so it would have a larger Thai audience, many, naturally enough, who do not read the Expat Page.

This goes to prove that those in this thread who are criticial of the shallow, cringeing, embarrassing, clumsy, slapstick, uninsightful stuff that goes in the column are even less informed about what goes on in Thailand than I am.  Boy what a revelation.

The new editor was not supportive. A dispute arose. But their is now a possibility of resolution, thanks in no small way to all the emails sent to the nation yesterday by people of good character.

That's terrific to hear... :o

and hopefully I can soon return to reading the "shallow, cringeing, embarrassing, clumsy, slapstick, uninsightful stuff" real soon... it never ceases to make my day...

:D

thank YOU.

But I can say it had nothing to do with censorship. In fact,  the nation's previous editor, who was promoted last week was wanted to expand the column, changing its name and lifting it from the Expat Page so it would have a larger Thai audience, many, naturally enough, who do not read the Expat Page.

This goes to prove that those in this thread who are criticial of the shallow, cringeing, embarrassing, clumsy, slapstick, uninsightful stuff that goes in the column are even less informed about what goes on in Thailand than I am.  Boy what a revelation.

Philmac, it looks like you need a sub editor too, 2 spelling and one grammar mistake in just a few lines. Any jobs going?

You should read Thanong's column before it has been sub-edited. that's always good for a laugh as well. Give me a break. The guy's about as incisive as a brick, although he obviously has a few people fooled.

Phil,

You bad-mouth a colleague on a public forum?!

Excuse me if I don't line up with all the rest and say how wonderful you are.

Fully disagree. On The Tiles was (and none of my persoanl interest), but not Farang Affairs. You mixed em up ?

Tell me where and when :o

The nation did not care to respond to 2 emails in over 48 hrs though....

I fully agree. Phil obviously needs a few good lessons from yourself on how to use those two wonderful keystrokes, CTRL+C and CTRL+V...

Thanong Kanthong? Isn't he the guy obsessed with Thai mythology, spirituality and the likes. I can't forget his "ode" to Somtam Lao heavy on glories to pla ra and MSG - the silliest editorial ever. I thought he lost a few marbles on the way from the business department.