Very Worried

thaibound2

well this is the story..............

my last 10 days in the country and me an my friend have been having a good time drinking and clubbing. we met up with 2 ladies in a bar on khaosan road we had them round for late night drinks at our appartment and well nature took its course so to speak..... i always wear protection!

how ever after wards i noticed the condom was not wear it should be and i found it in the bed to my horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im worried sick to the point of distraction! this lady was around 30 y/o and thai, im not implying by any means that thai women are all infected with hiv...... but im worried this one was especially as she may have a habbit of seeking the company of men (travelers) in bars etc etc or as i know nothing of her history who is to say she wasnt a possible sex worker in her past????

i guess im just looking for any advcie and words of wisdom that may help me needless to say im getting tested in 6 weeks............

honestly how bad is HIV infection in the general female population of bangkok? what are the odds that she is hiv infected 1 in a 100 more less

thanks all

My understanding is that infection rates are as high as 1 in 10, but that is heavily skewed by the market for Thai men who refuse to wear condoms... I also understand it is actually quite hard for a man to catch HIV from a woman, but the opposite is true for the woman...

My advice would be to try and ask the girl to get tested, go with her and pay, so the doctor will tell you face to face the results (HIV isn't the only thing you need to worry about)... you can get a blocker within the first 24 hours after exposure or something if you are really concerned, but I would be trying to get the girl tested before I took that step...

It is no use getting yourself tested, because nothing will show up for 3 months, by which time it is too late to do anything...

Cheers,

Daewoo

thank you for your time??????

i would not be able to find this girl again i live in bangkok and she does not also i have not contact details for her!?

so my only option is to wait until the test or try thr blocker you speak off?

have you any more info on this blocker?

cheers

My understanding is that infection rates are as high as 1 in 10, but that is heavily skewed by the market for Thai men who refuse to wear condoms... I also understand it is actually quite hard for a man to catch HIV from a woman, but the opposite is true for the woman...

My advice would be to try and ask the girl to get tested, go with her and pay, so the doctor will tell you face to face the results (HIV isn't the only thing you need to worry about)... you can get a blocker within the first 24 hours after exposure or something if you are really concerned, but I would be trying to get the girl tested before I took that step...

It is no use getting yourself tested, because nothing will show up for 3 months, by which time it is too late to do anything...

Cheers,

Daewoo

but im worried this one was especially as she may have a habbit of seeking the company of men (travelers) in bars etc etc or as i know nothing of her history who is to say she wasnt a possible sex worker in her past????

She wasnt a possoble sex worker in the past? DAAAAAA. Where do you thank you are at the Vatican? This is Thailand.:blink:

Even if the woman is HIV positive, the odds are in your favor if it was a single exposure. (Which is not to in any way diminsh the importance of always using protection, of course). Since the odds are against her being infected, the total risk is one unlikely event times another = very small. Not zero, but small.

See the other thread about this currently running in this forum. The HIV testing procedure used by the Thai Red Cross in Bkk includes, at no additional cost, a direct test for the virus (if the antibody screen was negative) which is sensitive after as little as 2 weeks. So no need to wait 6 weeks. I suggest you go there as soon as you hit the 2 week mark (see directions in the pinned thread on HIV). They can also screen for other STDs.

The "blocker" referred to is "post exposure prophylaxis" (PEP) and it would not be indicated in a case like yours where the risk is small. The odds of a serious adverse effect from the drugs would be greater than the odds of having been infected. PEP is mainly used for health workers who get stuck by needles used on people known to have HIV and that sort of thing.

Have you been vaccinated against Hepatitis B? Because if not, that is also a concern. It is more easily contacted than HIV and has the same risk factors.

Even if the woman is HIV positive, the odds are in your favor if it was a single exposure. (Which is not to in any way diminsh the importance of always using protection, of course). Since the odds are against her being infected, the total risk is one unlikely event times another = very small. Not zero, but small.

See the other thread about this currently running in this forum. The HIV testing procedure used by the Thai Red Cross in Bkk includes, at no additional cost, a direct test for the virus (if the antibody screen was negative) which is sensitive after as little as 2 weeks. So no need to wait 6 weeks. I suggest you go there as soon as you hit the 2 week mark (see directions in the pinned thread on HIV). They can also screen for other STDs.

The "blocker" referred to is "post exposure prophylaxis" (PEP) and it would not be indicated in a case like yours where the risk is small. The odds of a serious adverse effect from the drugs would be greater than the odds of having been infected. PEP is mainly used for health workers who get stuck by needles used on people known to have HIV and that sort of thing.

Have you been vaccinated against Hepatitis B? Because if not, that is also a concern. It is more easily contacted than HIV and has the same risk factors.

thank for your time great info im not 100% sure if my hep b is ok? i will have to check with my gp is there anything i can do now? to find out

The simplest way to find out is to check your immunization record.

However it is quite possible you have not had hep B as in the west it is often given only to health care workers and others at high risk (in Asia it is recommended for all).

A blood test can determine both if you have antibodies to Hep B (which would mean either successful immunization or past infection) and if you have antigen to Hep (indicative of a current infection). I am not sure though as to how long after exposure the antigen test would be negative. However the Thai red cross would know, and would also be able to do these tests for you. They may also be able to do a more sensitive "viral load" test for HbV and possibly already do so routinely. Anyway the doctor there will explain all this to you.

Note this is the Thai red Cross Anonymous Clinic that I refer to, see pinned notice for directions. The doctors speak English and they are non-judgemental, screening people at risk of STDs is what they do all day, so don't worry about that.

They get their share of worried farangs with the "lady of the night/condom broke" story as well, nothing they haven't heard before. They'll provide the needed tests and sound advice.

due to having a medical procedure here in bangkok i was required to have aids and hep test and i was all clear around 2 months ago. so im afraid ur statement is incorrect. i also think i had hep vaccine before me gambian holiday 3 years ago. it was 2 or 3 injections over a few weeks? i wonder if its still protecting me? hope so. im not blaming any one here... im just worried as i mentioned before? im leaving home for the uk in 10 days so i will have to get test there?

could some one please tell me the best place to go and a time to get all the required tests done please in bangkok i will get them done the day before i leave.

Hep a Viatim Hepb Engerix i had in 07 does this mean anything to you would i still be protected?

ok im so worried im going into the red cross on monday that wil be 5 days after the potential exposure. for a aids test the 2 diff kinds and for the hep vaccines?

will the hep vaccines work and will the aids test show up antie bodies i beleived i read apost that said the dr said 5 days is good for the rna aids test?

cheers

I have combined your two threads, please don't make multiple postings in the same issue.

From what you say you have been vaccinated for hep B and yes, if you had the full series in 2007 you should be still protected. If you had a hepatitis panel done 2 months ago it would show whether or not you have Hep B antibodies. Check the results, if you have the report with you. In which case no need to test for hep B.

Now as to testing at the Red Cross, to my understanding even the NAT may be negative after only 5 days, needs to be about 2 weeks. So even if you get the test Monday, they are going to tell you to repeat it.

If you think it will make you feel better to talk to the doctor there, fine, but otherwise my advice would be to wait until it has been 2 weeks (which if I follow your itinery will be just before you go to the UK) and get the test then. You geth the results the same day.

Worse case scenario, it is easy enough to get an HIV test back in the UK but you will likely have to settle for just an antibody test, which means more waiting.

If the condom simply fell off when you pulled out your risk is basically 0. If you were drunk and don't know at what point it fell off then there is risk. It's pointless to debate your odds since even a 1% risk is still a risk. It's too late for PEP now anyway so I would wait 2 weeks and get the sensitive test or wait a month when the results are more than 90% accurate. The 3 month wait does not really apply anymore for all but the rarest cases with modern testing.

The Thai red cross is probably the finest HIV testing and counseling center in Bangkok.

About 95% of people infected will have a positive result on an antibody test by 6 weeks. becomes more like 99% by 3 months which is why 3 months is the standard advice but if worried (and people usually are) it's worth getting at 6 weeks and then repeating at 3.

(Above refers to tests which screen for the presence of HIV antibodies. The NAT done by the Thai Red cross tests for even small amounts of the virus itself and is thus sensitive much earlier. )

thaibound2,

I think that Sheryl has given you as good information as you are going to get. The only advice I have that is different is to, if you can find her, and if you can be sure you will get true results (rather than her just taking the money for the tests and giving you a pharmacy receipt) is to get the girl tested...

Whilst your exposure has to incubate a while, chances are hers will have passed that period and would show up immediately, so you can be sure one way or the other... you don't want this racing around your head for 6 weeks or 3 months...

Even in Thailand they won't give you the "post exposure prophylaxis" unless there is a high risk... which means unprotected sex with a known positive person... Sheryl seems to know much more than me... my information is only because, like you, I have spent a lot of anxious moments after a bit of stupidity...

all turned out no problem for me, but also a good 'kick in the pants' to make you remember that it isn't all just fun a games (for either of you)...

Cheers,

Daewoo

hello all,

please dont get frustrated as i value your advise but at the same time i can see how annoying it is to have many posts off guys being silly and ending up in the same situation and posting for help. so i do know this and understand your points of view. so thanks for helping me and the advice i have been given is great thank you.....

just an update as i have now returned to the uk!

*i was tested all clear in regards to aids 3 months ago on arrival to bangkok and it waas only this person i have slept with.

*my hep A and B vaccine in 07 i definately had the 1 st jabs may be the 2nd jabs but not the 3rd so effectiveness is debatable at this time.

in response to the potential exposure to stis i have done the following!!!!

*started a course of antibiotics for syphilis clamidia and gonerea

*had a 1st jab of the hep a and b vaccine jabs 48 hours after exposure whilst still in bnagkok, i will get the 2nd and 3rd done with my gp in the uk (as i have heared this may be effective in combatting the virus even after 48hrs to exposure fingers crossed)

*and i have booked my self in for a 6 week after exposure full sti check with my local GUM clinic in the UK (for aids hep a hep b hep c and all the others)

wish me liuck and thanks for helping i will be sure to let you all know when i do!!!!!!

if i can not stand the wait of 6 weeks i may seek out a NAT test in the uk for 2 or 3 weeks

thanks for your time and any thing that may help or words of encouragement are welcome as i can tell you i have my toes and fingers crossed

bye bye

Edited by thaibound2