Rushing Into Marriage

Loz

So this morning I found out congratulations were in order. There had been a wedding and the happy couple were pleased as punch. I couldn't help but wonder how this had happened though. You'd think people might have been concerned that the serious commitment had been rushed into....

Why?

Well the couple in question are both Matayomsuksa 2 Students at my School! :blink:

M2 Students are between 13 and 14 years old. So it seems kinda strange to me that they would enter into such a commitment before they are sure they have emerged the wiser side of puberty!

Am I just being old fashioned? :huh:

Huh? I was under the impression that marriage was not allowed if younger than 17 and parental permission required if over 17 but younger than 20.

Maybe it's just typical hijinx for the kids? Back in your high school years didn't you call it going steady or pinning a girl? If I recall from my intensive study of the era (reruns of Leave it to Beaver and Ozzie and Harriet) kids did these sort of things and they also tried to cram as many of themselves into a telephone call box. :ermm:

It is a wedding ceremony only, not a legal wedding, and not unusual in Thailand even among children. Although they usually tend to be a few years older. (Maybe the girl is pregnant).

Students normally keep such ceremony quiet for fear of being sent away from school, as married people cannot stay at school.

How about posting some pertinent details Loz, how much sin sot?

Ah the ignorance of youth, the future looks bright, still got time to spit out another one, get divorced from her beloved fino riding teerak and marry a farang all before reaching 20.

The parents must be so proud, big face in the village.

It is a wedding ceremony only, not a legal wedding, and not unusual in Thailand even among children. Although they usually tend to be a few years older. (Maybe the girl is pregnant).

Students normally keep such ceremony quiet for fear of being sent away from school, as married people cannot stay at school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyA_DNw2vyg

How about posting some pertinent details Loz, how much sin sot?

Ah the ignorance of youth, the future looks bright, still got time to spit out another one, get divorced from her beloved fino riding teerak and marry a farang all before reaching 20.

The parents must be so proud, big face in the village.

I understand the Sinsod comprised a selection of special edition chupa chup lollies and chicken burger from 7/11 (where the auspicious ceremony hosted its reception. Plenty of good photos from the toiletries aisle where stock apparently was mistaken for free confetti :unsure:

:jap:

I believe you are wrong, you can get married at age 13, at an Amphur office, with a judges permission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyA_DNw2vyg

Or, it is simply a case of of deep love, why just asume that there's an arrangement or a preggy.

It is truly sad when children get rushed into marriage. It's sadder still when the young girl gets pregnant because the stupid parents haven't explained the facts of life and provided condoms for at least the girl. Unfortunately, it is a fact of life in the rural villages.

I've spent some time with the Karen hill tribe people and the older teenage girls seemed to be missing. There were young girls up to about 12 or possibly 13 and then just the married women. There were lots of children but I didn't see or hear where the older teenagers went. The young, unmarried girls wore white and the married women wore colourful clothing.

We drifted several large rivers in bamboo rafts and stayed at many villages along the way. It was the same everywhere we went.

Karen_hill_tribe.jpg

Karen_singers.jpg

I believe you are wrong, you can get married at age 13, at an Amphur office, with a judges permission.

Married people can'T satay at school.Even at university - married people will take off their rings and pretend their not. Pregnant girls would never dream of going to a class.

Married people can'T satay at school.Even at university - married people will take off their rings and pretend their not. Pregnant girls would never dream of going to a class.

Like the teachers, you mean?

Like the teachers, you mean?

lol