Anti Pollution Cycle Masks For Bicyclist

Lobin

done the search forum, and found a couple of posts, but none gave a definitive answer if anyone has successfully found a good mask for wearing whilst bicycling in town.

found the post with the couple of extra-Thailand that do masks, but would ideally like to purchase one here if i can, for spares etc.

appreciate the 3M shop on the silver road sells the N95 grade masks, but read also that not good whilst exercising due to mask breakdown from sweating and also breathing restrictions.

tried a couple of bike shops and the do not sell them either.

:unsure:

In 'silver street' or Wulay Road (where's the saturday walking street) you can buy then per 50 and 100 pieces at the official 3M shop, halfway on the left when going south.

The best ones are the 50-piece blue boxes (145b), quality can be compared with 3M. The 100-piece green boxes are not recommendable, elastic breaks with 50%.

I toyed with the idea of one of those specialized carbon-filter in neoprene cycle masks, as I used in London. However I eventually settled on these Elegance masks (whistle not included):

mask_whistle_small2.jpg

I wear these cycling up and down Sukhumvit. Qualitatively it works pretty well, at least I really missed it on the one day I forgot it bah.gif

The big advantage is that there is room under it to keep a whistle in my mouth while cycling it so it's always ready to warn errant or inattentive motorists of my presence*,**. The large space around the mouth and nose is also IMHO more comfortable in the heat, the neoprene version are a bit too tight.

Available from Home Pro etc. and occasionally in Carrefour, 100-125 THB IIRC. Lasts about 3 months and are apparently washable, but I haven't bothered myself. There are several different designs: the two filter conical version is the most roomy.

* Moments of actual or potential danger only - not the Thai-style constant whistling whistling.gif

** Always have to laugh at cops and security guards who cut holes in their surgical style masks to poke their whistle through rolleyes.gif

Edited by phaethon

I toyed with the idea of one of those specialized carbon-filter in neoprene cycle masks, as I used in London. However I eventually settled on these Elegance masks (whistle not included):

mask_whistle_small2.jpg

I wear these cycling up and down Sukhumvit. Qualitatively it works pretty well, at least I really missed it on the one day I forgot it bah.gif

The big advantage is that there is room under it to keep a whistle in my mouth while cycling it so it's always ready to warn errant or inattentive motorists of my presence*,**. The large space around the mouth and nose is also IMHO more comfortable in the heat, the neoprene version are a bit too tight.

Available from Home Pro etc. and occasionally in Carrefour, 100-125 THB IIRC. Lasts about 3 months and are apparently washable, but I haven't bothered myself. There are several different designs: the two filter conical version is the most roomy.

* Moments of actual or potential danger only - not the Thai-style constant whistling whistling.gif

** Always have to laugh at cops and security guards who cut holes in their surgical style masks to poke their whistle through rolleyes.gif

That ones are pretty useless, if you really wanna stay safe this are the only ones:

637437_mask1.jpg

Here is the website of the mask I am using. I use the cycle version that covers the mouth only. I don't have time to describe it further as I am getting ready travel again.

http://totobobo.com/

post-35900-0-02172300-1290052401_thumb.j

post-35900-0-98351800-1290052416_thumb.j

post-35900-0-57823600-1290052435_thumb.g

I use the super cool model. The filters are described as "High efficient, low resistance filter with sub-micron filtration performance. Easy Breathing". They also have the filters at 94% and 96% slightly below and above N95 rating.

Here is the website of the mask I am using. I use the cycle version that covers the mouth only. I don't have time to describe it further as I am getting ready travel again.

post-35900-0-02172300-1290052401_thumb.j

post-35900-0-57823600-1290052435_thumb.g

I use the super cool model. The filters are described as "High efficient, low resistance filter with sub-micron filtration performance. Easy Breathing". They also have the filters at 94% and 96% slightly below and above N95 rating.

Thanks for this post, I'll order that Supercool model.

Edited by Joop50

• 2 weeks later...

That ones are pretty useless, if you really wanna stay safe this are the only ones:

I have seen someone cycling near On Nut - Japanese looking - wearing a full double filter painter's respirator. Looked heavy and hot.

I used to see a guy with a full world-war II type gas mask walking around Chiang Mai. American. Not all there, I think. Harmless though.

Thanks for this post, I'll order that Supercool model.

Hello Play-mates,

There is nothing Super cool about wearing a mask - unless you're going to a fancy-dress party - and even that point is open to debate.

I seem to recall The Black Abbots having a character called Gas Mask Sammy. He wore a mask as a comedic prop.

Funny, yes, cool, no.

I'm sorry that I can't answer the ops question, but as they say, there's no harm in a little tittilation.

Edited by Ticketyboo

The Totobo mask doesn't look very comfortable, the edges seem to cut in the skin... is this correct?

I have been using one daily for 4 months and that is not correct unless you have velvety baby smooth skin :passifier:. It can get fairly moist during the day. Overall, I am happy with it.

Ticketboo,

Indeed there is nothing super cool on wearing a mask because most people who wear this already have lung problems. And why they call the type of that mask SuperCool, I don't know.:ph34r:

Edited by Joop50

wondering the same since I've always trained in w/nose out w/mouth and recently I was advised by someone on the NZ National Football team that it is now recommended to breath both in and out of your nose during exercise (esp. if you have long nose hair to filter all the city pollution - lol)

Isn't that defeating the object when most people breath in throughn the nose and out through the mouth?

Ticketboo,

Indeed there is nothing super cool on wearing a mask because most people who wear this already have lung problems. And why they call the type of that mask SuperCool, I don't know.:ph34r:

Maybe some of the people don't have lung problems because they wear a mask? Funny but fit.

Couldn't they wear a balaclava? My mother knitted my first one. Balaclavas are cooooool.......but only up to the age of 10.

Very useful too, if you're ugly or you have sticky-out ears, or both.Is that why you wear one?

Edited by Ticketyboo

IMHO....it's all a scam to seperate you from your $$!!Bangkokcitylimits posted the only effective way to filter the 'nasty stuff'...airborne chemical filters.

The only thing the paper filters do is filter particulate matter.....not chemicals/toxins that are the real dangers.

It is the same scare tactics that we went thru with the H1N1 scare a couple of years ago where everyone thought that those alcohol based hand cleaners protected you from viruses. Lots of smart people made quick bucks/baht on fools paranoia.

The only way to protect yourself from those nasty airborne toxins is to stop breathing.....or move to the mountains above 1,000mtrs!! IMHO

my 2 satang.......

Edited by jaideeguy

except aerosols and various small chemical pollutants bind and ride on particulate matter.

That's how they roll. The longer particulates are up in the air swirling around then they bind to more chemicals and toxins.

The most dangerous particulates are the under 2.5 microns. These small particles embed deeply into the lung tissue and transfer whatever they were carrying into the blood stream. Instant and efficient delivery.

Well, the English language is not my native language, so I miss sometimes the irony at first sight. Anyway, some people around here use a mask for prevention,

That's cool. It looks like there are others here who are not native English speakers:

"That ones are pretty useless, if you really wanna stay safe this are the only ones:"

We catch your drift, more or less.