Retirement - Visa Extension

This must have been addressed before, but I cannot trace it. Is it permissible for the 800,000 baht (seasoned for 3 months prior to visa extension date for visa extension based on retirement), to be in a joint bank account with one's wife, or must it be solely in the name of the applicant for the visa extension? Thanks for any help in this respect. (For various reasons, I prefer a visa extension based on retirement rather than marriage).

Edited by richardjm65

seems to be new !! Nothing said about having 800k down for a certain amount of time . . . seems they changed the rules ??!! Blame it on me if I am wrong but this is the latest government site :

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2493

so it s walk up, show them ya got the 800k on your account since 30 minutes ago and there you go !!??

Edited by Maestro
Deleted nonsensical part of the post.

Your link to a web page on the site of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs gives information about getting a visa from a Thai embassy or consulate. richardjm65 asked about an application at an immigration office in Thailand for an extension of stay for the reason of retirement. These are two entirely different things, with different requirements.

800.000 baht on account in you’re own name for 2 months for first extension and 3 months for any other extensions after that.

Officially 50% ( 1.600.000 ) of joined account is also accepted but not recommended. ( officers are known for refusing joined accounts )

If possible change your joined account to two separate accounts.

O.K., guys, thanks for the useful input. Lacking the 1,600,000baht (and having noted the caveats in that respect), I'll stick with 800,000 in my own account. It's always worked in the past. Thanks again.

That's a lorra, lorra lolly to have tied up.

I used to 'go this route' until the UK pound took a nose-dive, and I realised that I could get a 4%+ rate of return by having the money on deposit back in the UK. So, I switched to the income (and Embassy letter to prove it) route two years ago.

Interestingly, up to that time I always presented our joint account bank book for my extensions (five contiguous years) and it was always accepted. Thai wife, no visa requirement for her, so no need for the extra 800K.

I just hope :rolleyes: the pound's seemingly endless slide doesn't put me into the situation where my UK income is insufficient, and I need to extend my stay using the income + money in the bank route.

Then, I fear, I shall be forced to open a single account in my name.

O.K., guys, thanks for the useful input. Lacking the 1,600,000baht (and having noted the caveats in that respect), I'll stick with 800,000 in my own account. It's always worked in the past. Thanks again.

That's a lorra, lorra lolly to have tied up.

I used to 'go this route' until the UK pound took a nose-dive, and I realised that I could get a 4%+ rate of return by having the money on deposit back in the UK. So, I switched to the income (and Embassy letter to prove it) route two years ago.

Interestingly, up to that time I always presented our joint account bank book for my extensions (five contiguous years) and it was always accepted. Thai wife, no visa requirement for her, so no need for the extra 800K.

I just hope :rolleyes: the pound's seemingly endless slide doesn't put me into the situation where my UK income is insufficient, and I need to extend my stay using the income + money in the bank route.

Then, I fear, I shall be forced to open a single account in my name.

It was indeed not a problem to use a joined account untill two years ago if my memory is correct.

After that they did not like the joined account and inforced the 50% rule.

I can confirm now that Phuket immigration is not accepting joined accounts at all any more.

Account has to be in your name only.

( how long this last nobody knows )

Your continued exception may be because wife is foreign national rather than Thai and she is using dependent status from your extension?

Sounds like it, retirement extension for the man and dependent extension for the wife with marriage certificate.

Your continued exception may be because wife is foreign national rather than Thai and she is using dependent status from your extension?

that is correct. but my claim might be misleading. when checking the bank balances i found out that we always held in excess of 1.6m Baht when applying for extension.