Retirement Or Multiple 0-whats The Best?

I am getting an O-A visa in the states. Everything makes sense [the Thai embassy site in LA has great info and all the forms.

I have two questions that I can't seem to be sure of.

1. the police permit, is that a specific form that the police have or is it something I have to bring to them?

2. when I am in Thailand with an O-A visa and want to go out of country, probably a couple of times a year for a couple of weeks at a time, do I just go to the police department and get an exit visa and re-entry visa each time? If so, is there no problem doing this?

The clearance comes from the state police. You must get a re-entry permit from Thai Immigration every time you leave the country or you will void your extended visa.

I am getting an O-A visa in the states. Everything makes sense [the Thai embassy site in LA has great info and all the forms.

1. the police permit, is that a specific form that the police have or is it something I have to bring to them?

2. when I am in Thailand with an O-A visa and want to go out of country, probably a couple of times a year for a couple of weeks at a time, do I just go to the police department and get an exit visa and re-entry visa each time? If so, is there no problem doing this?

The clearance comes from the state police. You must get a re-entry permit from Thai Immigration every time you leave the country or you will void your extended visa.

I called the police department here in Hawaii and they dont know what I am talking about........ :o

I called the police department here in Hawaii and they dont know what I am talking about........ :o

Talk to the FBI

If someone is 50 and has the required funds for the retirement visa what are the benefits of doing this as opposed to a mutiple entry O visa? Please correct me if I am wrong but for both of these you are granted a 1 year stay but still have to renew every 90 days . I am sure there must be some diference between the 2 if someone could explain why I need to tie up 800,000 b in a thai bank!

With the multiple, you have to leave Thailand every 90 days and you have to get a new visa (from outside Thailand) every year.

With retirement you have to report every 90 days, I believe this can be done by post. And can renew every year without leaving Thailand

I may be incorrect here but the" A " indicates a one year extension as in " B-A " if you apply for an " O " and have it extended to 1 year you now have an "O-A"

"With the multiple, you have to leave Thailand every 90 days and you have to get a new visa (from outside Thailand) every year.

With retirement you have to report every 90 days, I believe this can be done by post. And can renew every year without leaving Thailand"

First time I've seen this?

It was my understanding with a ME O-A Support as opposed to Retirement you could still stay within Thailand for the 365 day period and report every 90 days? :o

"With the multiple, you have to leave Thailand every 90 days and you have to get a new visa (from outside Thailand) every year.

With retirement you have to report every 90 days, I believe this can be done by post. And can renew every year without leaving Thailand"

It was my understanding with a ME O-A Support as opposed to Retirement you could still stay within Thailand for the 365 day period and report every 90 days? :o

There is no such thing as and O-A Support. Support extensions of stay are only issued inside Thailand by an immigration office. It is an extension of your original O visa period of stay.

For retirement there is a process in place for pre approval to be granted while you are in your home country and that visa has the "A" suffix attached so that immigration will stamp you in for one year instead of the normal 90 days. In following years you have the same as everyone else - an extension of stay.

The 90 day reporting has nothing to do with the visa type but everything to do with being inside Thailand 90 days. Now if you specify a multi entry visa you would only receive a 90 day stamp so a 90 day report would not be required under normal conditions.

There is no such thing as and O-A Support. Support extensions of stay are only issued inside Thailand by an immigration office. It is an extension of your original O visa period of stay.

For retirement there is a process in place for pre approval to be granted while you are in your home country and that visa has the "A" suffix attached so that immigration will stamp you in for one year instead of the normal 90 days. In following years you have the same as everyone else - an extension of stay.

The 90 day reporting has nothing to do with the visa type but everything to do with being inside Thailand 90 days. Now if you specify a multi entry visa you would only receive a 90 day stamp so a 90 day report would not be required under normal conditions.

Man...and I thought I had a handle on this.

OK - what's the distinction between a 'support' at 400k and a 'retirement' at 800k then?

It has been my understanding I opt for a ME O-A support Thai wife from the consulate in the states for two basic reasons: household goods coming in duty free and the less $ needed to keep in my Thai account?

Mai Kao jai...

The O-A is issued for long stay (retirement) only. There is not such provision for "support". The only "support Thai wife" is an extension of stay granted by Immigration offices inside Thailand. For a visa to visit your wife you receive an O visa overseas but you do not need to support her to receive that. Once inside Thailand you and she make the application for an extension of stay based on support.

I called the police department here in Hawaii and they dont know what I am talking about........ :D

Talk to the FBI

Perhaps to make this information clearer we should refer to it as an "FBI Clearance"?

Those are the folks to talk to vs. my home town cop station? :o

I think what Lopburi 3 is saying is, you can have a multiple entry visa type O and you have to leave the country every 90 days and the when you go for the 1 year visa for support, then you have to go to the Thai Immigration office to apply for that with ALL supporting documents.

They will tell you that it can take up to a longer period than what you have left on your visa but it will usually be done BEFORE this time as long as you have ALL if not MORE than what THEY require for your application.

Boon, I can't see you having ANY problems as you can and will supply more than Thai Immigration could ever ask for. Give me a call if you need anymore info. Lopburi3 is the MAN on this and knows a he11 of alot more than I.

Good luck with it but I don't think you need any luck as you are way ahead of the game.

:o

Cheers,

CK

Edited by Kringle

If you apply for a long stay extension (retirement) at an immigration office you will receive it the same day. If you apply for a support Thai wife type it will take one or several months and short extensions of stay will be provided to cover that time period.

Thanks for the further clarifications boys.

Think I've been hung up on the 'support Thai wife' option as I heard you can ship household goods duty free with that. Since I'm going to send the container over in her name only under her Thai maiden name and Thai passport & the fact that I'm not going to be exhibiting my lily white farang face anywhere near the Customs shed, it might be a moot point.

The retirement long stay extension sounds like the way to go.

Cheers,

BM

firfan , i am in Thailand for over 8-9 years just on a 1 year visa O or sometime 3*3 month O ( no work , not the age to retired )

True did not want me to open a account with me on my visa basic ! Never try for driving license , i have my bank account for the last ten year , no possible to do online banking with them as i do not have the retirement visa ...

4 years ago i try to have utilities & UBC in my name, not possible!

Close friend did put me on his name and open a bank account with automatic draw from these companies!

in short ! all not possible for me !

I have a retirement visa. In Bangkok, you definitely need it for a driving licence - I can't confirm that for Pattaya. I also needed it to get a contract mobile phone account with AIS ( had a bit of bother as they wanted a work permit, but they eventually accepted my retirement visa), and I needed it for customs when I imported a load of personal effects from UK - I paid no duty and no bribes. Generally, as I far as I am aware from my own experiences, you can get utilities, UBC, bank accounts in your own name without a retirement visa - they just ask for a copy of your passport. I also had loxinfo internet in Bangkok without showing my retiremnt visa, and have recently had Loxinfo Ipstar installed in my name in Pattaya and they didn't ask for my retirement visa. I know for as fact that Hutch insist on a work permit - won't even accept retirement visas - I told them they were losing bsuiness but they jsut shrugged and said that's head office rules. So you can see that's it's all a bit hit and miss - sometimes you can get through the foggy maze and sometimes you can't. Hope thsi helps.

As I am over 50 and married there are two options for me,support of Thai wife or the retirement option,and I qualify for both,but it would be logical for me to go for the first.

I, too, am looking at the pros and cons of retirement versus support Thai wife and have so far listed the following:

Advantages of non-O retirement

– Annual extensions approved on day of application (support Thai wife: 40 days or longer; total of three or more trips to Immigration Bureau)

– Wife’s presence not needed for application (She may want to be skiing in St. Moritz during that time :o )

Disadvantages

– 800K Baht in bank (support Thai wife: 400K)

– Application for work permit not allowed.

Question to Lopburi or other expert: for an annual extension for support of Thai wife, does the wife have to accompany the applicant only on the first visit to Immigration, i.e. for the submission of the application, or also on the subsequent visits (usually 2) until the application is approved?

----------------------

Maestro

As I am over 50 and married there are two options for me,support of Thai wife or the retirement option,and I qualify for both,but it would be logical for me to go for the first.

I, too, am looking at the pros and cons of retirement versus support Thai wife and have so far listed the following:

Advantages of non-O retirement

– Annual extensions approved on day of application (support Thai wife: 40 days or longer; total of three or more trips to Immigration Bureau)

– Wife’s presence not needed for application (She may want to be skiing in St. Moritz during that time :o )

Disadvantages

– 800K Baht in bank (support Thai wife: 400K)

– Application for work permit not allowed.

Question to Lopburi or other expert: for an annual extension for support of Thai wife, does the wife have to accompany the applicant only on the first visit to Immigration, i.e. for the submission of the application, or also on the subsequent visits (usually 2) until the application is approved?

----------------------

Maestro

Only the first visit.

The disadvantage of 800k can be offset with a pension letter so would not always be valid.

If you intend to change from support to retirement take your wife as she will have to sign off that she understands before it will be granted.

Just my two satang,please don't flame!

Last week I went to Nong khai(UdonThani office closed last year) for my third NON-RE extension

without wife,she had to work,they asked for a lot more fotocopies as last time,a more specific bank

statement too,but had my extension in 20 minutes,believe they have to send all the paperwork to Bangkok anyway,but the authority to clear the paper by themselves!

Hope to be so lucky next year :o too?!

Last week I went to Nong khai(UdonThani office closed last year) for my third NON-RE extension

without wife,she had to work,they asked for a lot more fotocopies as last time,a more specific bank

statement too,but had my extension in 20 minutes,believe they have to send all the paperwork to Bangkok anyway,but the authority to clear the paper by themselves!

NON-RE?

Can you confirm that the extension of stay was support Thai wife? Or was it business or some other extension? Support Thai wife has never been approved outside of Bangkok before AFAIK so it would be very interesting to know exactly the circumstances of your extension of stay. Or are you perhaps speaking of a short one month or so extension you had in 20 minutes?

Yes,Lop,can confirm,it's an extension for supporting wife,and,same as last year,in Udon,made on the spot!This time I had to produce more fotocopies,a more detailed bank statement,theFTT code on the transfer of money was'n sufficient,but after the hassle I had my extension to January 2007.though my passport expires next october.

presume I'll make a new passport in september and and transfer there the remaining 3 months.

Must say I was happily surprised,hope next time it's so easy! :o

I would be carefully checking the stamp you received in your passport. Are you sure its not the "Under consideration" one?

Also, I would be very suprised if an extension was given without the little lady there :D

Edited by Call_me_daddy57

I would be carefully checking the stamp you received in your passport. Are you sure its not the "Under consideration" one?

Also, I would be very suprised if an extension was given without the little lady there :D

The extension is valid up to January next year,so ounder cosideration!

About the Missus,when I went for the first extension,in Udon,now closed,theylet me"under cosideration for over 4 months.The fact that my wife was in full Police uniform and overranked all of them didn't help?!

About the Missus,when I went for the first extension,in Udon,now closed,theylet me"under cosideration for over 4 months.The fact that my wife was in full Police uniform and overranked all of them didn't help?!

Ok. Now you have provided the reasons. Most of us are not married to fellow officers and will not get the same treatment. :D Please try to include that nugget of information when you post so people don't get too excited.

abdulrahman.

So you are saying that, in Udon (where you live) you presented with the wife (in full Police uniform) and got 4 months of under consideration stamps (waiting for Bankok Immigration approval)

But in Nong khai, without the wife present, you got your extension approved in 20 mins.

Congratulations to you abdulrahman :D Are you aware of any other Farang having the same good fortune?

Now if the Korat office went fully online, there would be a lot of happy campers around here :D