Yerba Mate

Somtamnication

We were in Argentina, Chile and Uruguay last year for 3 months. I love that part of the world. I tried mate, but it was a bit bitter for me. I think it is an acquired taste? But there is sure some good wine there! Can't wait to go back for a visit....

• 1 month later...

Many companies, including corporate giants like Amazon, gouge customers on shipping.

I've always found it best to impose on friends in the US to receive the parcel and then resend it at basic rate.

Books shipped by amazon are ott, but they are nothing like the over US$40 to ship a few boxes of tea leaves. The yerba mate products at amazon are all being handled from other companies. And from what I've found they are using UPS and FedEx. I've tried three companies online and none are coming under US$40 for shipping.

Luckily, I'm bringing back quite a stash of yerba mate from the UK, but I didn't get the gourd or bombilla so I started looking yesterday for those plus future stock. Shocker.

Ernesto 'Che' Guevara useta like to drink mate...he was a communist...

I'm a communist but never liked the stuff meself when living in Bolivia 45 years ago...sorta tasted like stewed grass, truly an acquired taste but the gear is nice with gourd and the silver bombilla...I preferred mate de coca which is more prevalent in the andes, good fer what ails ye...

headache? mate de coca...influenza? mate de coca...pneumonia? mate de coca...cancer? mate de coca...the ubiquitous household remedy and then some idiots turned it into a recreational drug with horrific 'drug wars' costing thousands of lives...:(

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The prices at "yerbamatethailand" (posted above) are extortionate! I understand that saving us the trouble of going through the nightmarish Thai postal system is worthwhile, but at a 600% markup, we'd be better off buying direct.

Ex.) They charge 50 USD for a bag of leaves that costs only 8.60 USD from other sources! That doesn't even cover shipping to Bangkok.

(Don't believe me? Google goyerbamate)

They also offer the lowest quality yerba mate, which is not organic, and considered a "value brand."

Paraguay Selecta is better, in my opinion.

Don't buy from them at these prices. We shouldn't encourage people like this to rip off other foreigners.

Better to team up and get a big shipment from somewhere overseas.

Edited by mister345

Paraguayan mate is the best (I grew up there).

The UK site has them for about 3 pounds for a pack 25 teabags. They also have the 5kg loose package.

Even with shipping to Thailand, it is far cheaper than that other ripoff joint based in Thailand.

If anyone wants to share in the postage, let me know. I will order later on this month. PM me for the link to the UK store.