Cambodia

muaythaifun

hi guys, im curious about cambodia, apartments.. transportation, food, the cost of all those things, entertainment etc

if anyones been there for a time or if you guys know any threads i could look into on cambodia that already exist. i hear the visa situation is easier there and id like to train boxkator aswell and general adventure but someplace to stay and food and transportation are the most important cost wise i dont drink, i dont pay for whores and i hope i dont have to...and i dunno thats about it

Minuses: high crime, worst driving in Asia, garbage everywhere, worst governance outside Afghanistan, regular food poisoning, & female population divided into sex workers & virgins.

Pluses: very easy longterm visas, pretty low cost of living, & a certain 'end-of-the-world ambiance you don't get elsewhere.

if you dont whore munger, drink beer, and only eat then your better off in Thailand IMO. however if you smoke pot then you will love cambo.

I love the riverfront hotels and french based foods. But after a week that gets dull.

Cambo beaches are dirty underdeveloped.

Thai beaches are 10x better

Cambo stimulates the senses if your jaded with thailand.

You will always pay for the girls same as here in one way or another ;)

LOL @Robroy that was a funny post.

i dont drink or smoke anything, i drink maybe casually but thats even a stretch as i just dont really like it that much and i did alot of drinking and smoking when i was younger, and im burnt out i just dont like it anymore.

as for girls i have no idea from reading this forum i just really have no idea what im gonna do...get lucky and find some euro girl or something(im american) or american girl whatever...blonde..brunette i like asian girls but not enough to pay for them lol..but then again i plan on staying over there for awhile

anyway, thanks for the info guys that site khmer440 is like a clone of this forum just about cambodia.

first stop is kuala lumpur ill see how that blows over, after that probably thailand or cambodia..ill end up in both im sure but i dunno how i feel about high crime... i guess ill see

i dont drink or smoke anything, i drink maybe casually but thats even a stretch as i just dont really like it that much and i did alot of drinking and smoking when i was younger, and im burnt out i just dont like it anymore.

as for girls i have no idea from reading this forum i just really have no idea what im gonna do...get lucky and find some euro girl or something(im american) or american girl whatever...blonde..brunette i like asian girls but not enough to pay for them lol..but then again i plan on staying over there for awhile

anyway, thanks for the info guys that site khmer440 is like a clone of this forum just about cambodia.

first stop is kuala lumpur ill see how that blows over, after that probably thailand or cambodia..ill end up in both im sure but i dunno how i feel about high crime... i guess ill see

The only single euro/American girls you will see will be backpackers. Usually on a schedule doing their SE Asia circuit. Many are quite plump. This is not the best area in the world if you don't like Asian girls! :(

The only single euro/American girls you will see will be backpackers. Usually on a schedule doing their SE Asia circuit. Many are quite plump. This is not the best area in the world if you don't like Asian girls! :(

If you are young enough (less than 40) and not hideous then you may well get lucky with local girls in Cambodia or Thailand without picking the paid for variety. Just go to discos in the bigger cities where the local university crowd hang out and don't feel shy about walzing up to a gang of girls - smile a lot and see if they want to pick up a conversation.

Read again more carefully Craig - he did say he liked Asian girls, but he was making that oft made assumption that hookers are the only Asians that might be interested in a foreigner.

PS - I'm not hideous but I'm not young enough to have road tested the theory. Actually that's a lie I sort of tried, but it felt uncomfortable at my age to be approaching 20 year olds!), but others I know who do fit the category have done well in both countries!

If you are young enough (less than 40) and not hideous then you may well get lucky with local girls in Cambodia or Thailand without picking the paid for variety. Just go to discos in the bigger cities where the local university crowd hang out and don't feel shy about walzing up to a gang of girls - smile a lot and see if they want to pick up a conversation.

Read again more carefully Craig - he did say he liked Asian girls, but he was making that oft made assumption that hookers are the only Asians that might be interested in a foreigner.

PS - I'm not hideous but I'm not young enough to have road tested the theory. Actually that's a lie I sort of tried, but it felt uncomfortable at my age to be approaching 20 year olds!), but others I know who do fit the category have done well in both countries!

Yeah, I saw that part. I use to be like that also. I'm 53 now, I really did not like Asians until I was 40, Then I dated my first Japanese. It was all downhill after that! Especially as you get older, the white women get larger.

When I first came here about 10 years ago, I rarely did the P4P thing. Just not my style. But had great luck with the non-pros. Even then, they are professional for sure at getting money out of you. One way or another, you will pay! :whistling:

I had a great time in the Philippines. It is really better over there as they all speak English. Here, to really go after "good" girls, you need to know Thai. Uni gals know a bit of English, but are sometimes too shy to talk with you. But for sure! Go to the discos and don't be shy!

yea, i like asian girls, i like all kinds of girls as long as they look good, if she looks good she does i dont really discriminate. and im kinda young i guess im 26 right now. and im good looking and fit and all that i just have other things to consider, espcially in thailand with the ladyboys and stuff its just gonna be tricky...if i got duped into feelin up on dude there could be problems for that guy/lentlemen whatever lol

yea, i like asian girls, i like all kinds of girls as long as they look good, if she looks good she does i dont really discriminate. and im kinda young i guess im 26 right now. and im good looking and fit and all that i just have other things to consider, espcially in thailand with the ladyboys and stuff its just gonna be tricky...if i got duped into feelin up on dude there could be problems for that guy/lentlemen whatever lol

Be careful there. Starting problems here is a big deal here. Don't mess with the locals and for sure not with the ladyboys. I guarantee, you will end up on the losing side. There are just too many of them and life here just doesn't mean as much as it does back home. Lots of young backpackers have gotten into big trouble...especially when they other guy's friends show up armed...and you are outnumbered. Keep it cool...seriously...

There are numerous reports on the internet about foreigners getting into a fight and coming out dead. Happened here in Pattaya a few months ago. A group of big Russian's started a fight with a small Thai guy. Seconds later, they were surrounded by 20 Thai guys and one Russian is now dead. You are a farang, hitting on their women, and the young guys don't like it...actually, they hate it.

Here's a pic of another guy who started an argument with a group of Thai guys here in Pattaya...seconds into the argument, 2 Thai's walking down the sidewalk joined in, kicked this guy in the face and body, and then ran off. You can also do a search of the American who was killed recently in Phuket. A muay thai pro who got killed.

post-5869-0-53263900-1290561103_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-45952000-1290561105_thumb.jp

They all have baggage the good ones.,thai men dont want them.

NB

-craigt3365-

As far as I remember the incident you mean ist the killing of an US-Marine, wounded in Action in Irak who was vacationing in Phuket and got in an argument in a Bar with an English man who sometimes fought in Phukets Muay Thai stadiums.

The strong built English seemed to have lost to the heavier Marine but followed him and his GF home and killed him with a knive.

He was cought 2 weeks later at a London Airport, story has still an open end.

There is a thread about that story running here on thaivisa. Its Falang against Falang story, do not know Thais involved.

-craigt3365-

As far as I remember the incident you mean ist the killing of an US-Marine, wounded in Action in Irak who was vacationing in Phuket and got in an argument in a Bar with an English man who sometimes fought in Phukets Muay Thai stadiums.

The strong built English seemed to have lost to the heavier Marine but followed him and his GF home and killed him with a knive.

He was cought 2 weeks later at a London Airport, story has still an open end.

There is a thread about that story running here on thaivisa. Its Falang against Falang story, do not know Thais involved.

That could be the case. I don't remember all the details. Just trying to show it is dangerous over here if you try and make trouble. I believe a guy was killed here in Pattaya not long ago after a fight in a bar. There are some crazy folks over here who think they can get away with anything....and the locals know it best....

Again, my point is to be careful. Have fun, but don't start a fight. Walk away.

yes, i agree i absolutely dont condone fighting, except for sport i dont want any part in it. im just saying, thinking if i was all alone with a "girl" and "she" turned out to be something else, that person could have a problem. although i can see the fault in that aswell, so ill have to be very careful.

im not exactly looking for a gf over there either, a few flings would be good enough i suppose but who knows lol i got my mind on turkey right now anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

, ,Most of the problems noted on here are more Thai related , as far as violence and danger go in Cambodia , it is a walk in a pleasant park compared to Thailand , I have lived here 6 years and have seen very little confrontation , the Kymer are very laid back and not looking for problems .

Beaches ? I have found them also to be kept tidy , couple of people parade the beaches I frequent picking up trash dropped by those to lazy to use the cans provided , Phnom Penh has vastly changed in rergards to garbage cast all over , the river-side in particular is a sight for sore eyes , no potholes or raised stone to trip the unwary .

Cost of living is respectable , food bought in the markets is fresh daily , have only had the hot-trots once , unlike my years spent on Thai food , accomodation is not expensive unless you want it to be , good apartments in a clean , safe area run around $200.00 furnished , can be found for less if you search , a dollar will take you many places in the city , just have to bargain , taxis are also available now , $1.00 for first two clicks , moto-taxi 25c and up , traffic looks catrascopic but in realty is safe when you learn the ropes , most are not fast or crazy .

You are welcome to live or visit , no hoops or barriers , this will be noted when you arrive at the airport , no touts as such , just locals vieing for your $5.00 for the trip into town , good hotels run around $20.00 per night or less , guest house with fan $3.00 and up , it is worth a visit with your eyes open and leave your bias at home , any place can look like a dump to some people who expect the Ritz on a dime .

if you dont whore munger, drink beer, and only eat then your better off in Thailand IMO. however if you smoke pot then you will love cambo.

I don't 'munger' (sic), or smoke pot; I loathe beer and enjoy eating out and I am very content here in Phnom Penh.

Advantages over Thailand include a friendlier and less xenophobic local population, much better English language skills, a visa process which is an absolute breeze, the ability to own your own business 100% and work in it in any capacity, an expat population which is generally less cliquey and more welcoming than Thailand, cheaper Western food, booze, and wine.

Everywhere has its advantages and disadvantages, but if you come with an open mind, abandoning your Thai-centric outlook at the border (despite cultural similarities, Cambodia is NOT merely a less-developed version of Thailand and most of the long-stay expats prefer it that way), Cambodia can be a very congenial place to live.

Shhhh! Some of us around here would rather PP remained a hidden gem :rolleyes: You don't need Thai falang trash.

Ain't it the truth.

Edited by Rumpole

, ,Most of the problems noted on here are more Thai related , as far as violence and danger go in Cambodia , it is a walk in a pleasant park compared to Thailand , I have lived here 6 years and have seen very little confrontation , the Kymer are very laid back and not looking for problems .

Beaches ? I have found them also to be kept tidy , couple of people parade the beaches I frequent picking up trash dropped by those to lazy to use the cans provided , Phnom Penh has vastly changed in rergards to garbage cast all over , the river-side in particular is a sight for sore eyes , no potholes or raised stone to trip the unwary .

Cost of living is respectable , food bought in the markets is fresh daily , have only had the hot-trots once , unlike my years spent on Thai food , accomodation is not expensive unless you want it to be , good apartments in a clean , safe area run around $200.00 furnished , can be found for less if you search , a dollar will take you many places in the city , just have to bargain , taxis are also available now , $1.00 for first two clicks , moto-taxi 25c and up , traffic looks catrascopic but in realty is safe when you learn the ropes , most are not fast or crazy .

You are welcome to live or visit , no hoops or barriers , this will be noted when you arrive at the airport , no touts as such , just locals vieing for your $5.00 for the trip into town , good hotels run around $20.00 per night or less , guest house with fan $3.00 and up , it is worth a visit with your eyes open and leave your bias at home , any place can look like a dump to some people who expect the Ritz on a dime .

Can you tell me internet sites to look at rental prices? Khmer440 doesn't seem to have links.